JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As many of you know, tomorrow is my last day at my 9-5 job. I put in my notice two months ago so I could focus on what I'd consider my life's work, this website.

I have far too much work to do for any real celebrating, but I've had this Remington 870P for quite a few years now that I've been wanting to build out. I figure this would be a good gift to myself for finally taking the plunge. I'm hoping to come close to breaking even by selling the current parts, so I don't have to deplete the 'I just quit your job' fund. I've always wanted a tricked out 870. Although it'd probably be just slightly more to buy one already done up, I already have this one, and I'd enjoy building it myself.

There's a slight chance I might just try to find a Mossberg 590A1 SPX, since it's almost what I want this to be. I bought this as a police trade-in about 10 years ago, equipped with a bead sight and standard Speedfeed stock. To be honest I actually really liked it like this, very simple and maneuverable.

001.JPG

It was much better than it is now.

Over the years it's been modified using parts my brother was too lazy to post for sale on here, resulting in multiple living room fire-sales.

Below is a photo of the current setup. Please note, I'm a horrible firearm photographer. I should really re-read that thread by @PlayboyPenguin.

870P.jpg

Current Specs:
  • 20" Barrel w/Rifle Sights (tritium in front)
  • +3 Remington Magazine Extension
  • LPC (Surefire, before they were Surefire) Forend
  • Knoxx SpecOps Stock
  • TacStar Side Saddle
My basic plan is just that, get the gun back to the basics and shoot it. First I'm planning on replacing the furniture with Magpul SGA components in FDE. I've handled a few 870's with the Magpul furniture. I really like the ergonomics, and I can't wait to reduce the weight a bit. After I do this I'm going to do what I see many people forgetting to do; I'm going to go shoot it! A lot! I'm hoping to take a class or two with it as well. I have a bunch of ideas for the gun from that point, but won't really know what I think it needs unless I'm more familiar with the gun. For example, I'd like to replace that cheap side saddle with a nicer Mesa Tactical setup, but this current one will work just fine for figuring out whether I want or need a side saddle.

Here's my list of questions I'd like to answer through my use and training:

• As mentioned, do I want to run a side saddle? If yes, I'll replace it with a Mesa Tactical unit.
  • Do I want to run the Primary Arms micro red dot I bought for it? My Benelli M4 already has a rail on it, so I'm going to practice with that to figure out whether I like red dots on shotguns. If I do, I'll need to either drill and tap the receiver for a rail or buy a Mesa Tactical rail/saddle combo.
  • Do I like the factory rifle sights? I've only shot with this barrel twice, and I was more focused on teaching the new people with my own preferences. I've heard these 870P sites are great, but those Wilson Combat Trak-Lock ghost rings sure are pretty! Again, I'll use the Benelli to help me answer this question. I do want to have some sort of backup sight system in case I break the red dot or decide to use it on something else.
  • If I decide I prefer ghost rings over the rifle sights, then I'll take this opportunity to consider going back to an 18" barrel with a +2 extension. Less than 2" isn't much length, but it felt easier to handle. To be fair, I added the forend at the same time, so that probably has something to do with the balance of the gun.
  • After I get the important stuff out of the way, I might look into some sort of muzzle brake. I'd be lying if I didn't say this was mostly because I like the way they look, but hopefully they'll reduce recoil a bit as well.
Anyhow, that's my plan. I'll keep this thread updated with whatever shape this build takes. I'd love to hear some opinions!

Last Edited:
My problem with the trick stuff for shotguns is the tendency of protruding things like sights and pistol grips to hang up on stuff.
I couldn't quickly grab it out of the closet or out from under the bed without dragging something else out with it. Shotguns are far more intimidating, and way less cumbersome without a garment of some kind hanging from the front of the barrel.
I went back to a vent rib 20" barrel and the standard buttstock for just that reason. I do like your choice of the Magpul buttstock though Joe.
Keep us posted on the morph.

Thanks for the reply @Jamie6.5. I agree with you, and my gut tells me I'll probably end up with a pretty basic shotgun (Magpul furniture + mag extension). I'm really looking forward to figuring it out though :D

Joe, building guns is my life obsession and is not worth your time. That being said I can't stop. The Mesa side saddles are a high quality products that do not seem to work as well as I would have liked. They use orings to hold the shells in and I found them to not be as secure as the less expensive brands. That being said, I have a tactical shotgun ( Fn police tactical shotgun with an 18.5" barrel w/ chokes that I won a skeet shooting competition with. Shotguns are a ton of fun. :)

Vang comp the barrel. About $250, and it reduces recoil and significantly tightens groups, especially with good quality 00 buck loads. I like both the rifle sights and the ghost ring sights. I go back and forth between which ones I want. I like the accuracy with the rifle sights (despite the myth that shotguns don't need to be aimed), but I like the speed of the ghost ring (I've had both the Vang Comp sights and currently have the Scattergun Tech/Wilson sights). Still prefer the pump to all of the semi-autos I've had. Not sure why, just do I suppose...

..........tomorrow is my last day at my 9-5 job. I put in my notice two months ago...............

Hey Joe, is if this post was made on Friday and "tomorrow is my last day", (which obviously would be Saturday) then how could it be a "9-5 job"? :D

I know, I know :s0128:
Seriously now, good luck with your new career change and with your build. :s0133:

//

Thanks for the tips guys, much appreciated. Lots of good advice here, definitely some things to think about.

I just ordered the SGA stock and forend. I can't wait to get them on, I know it's going to transform the feel of the gun.

Joe, building guns is my life obsession and is not worth your time. That being said I can't stop. The Mesa side saddles are a high quality products that do not seem to work as well as I would have liked. They use orings to hold the shells in and I found them to not be as secure as the less expensive brands. That being said, I have a tactical shotgun ( Fn police tactical shotgun with an 18.5" barrel w/ chokes that I won a skeet shooting competition with. Shotguns are a ton of fun. :)

Thanks for the info on the side saddle. The more I talk to people the more I think I'll probably remove this TacStar and not replace it.

Vang comp the barrel. About $250, and it reduces recoil and significantly tightens groups, especially with good quality 00 buck loads. I like both the rifle sights and the ghost ring sights. I go back and forth between which ones I want. I like the accuracy with the rifle sights (despite the myth that shotguns don't need to be aimed), but I like the speed of the ghost ring (I've had both the Vang Comp sights and currently have the Scattergun Tech/Wilson sights). Still prefer the pump to all of the semi-autos I've had. Not sure why, just do I suppose...

Great idea! If I do decide to go back to an 18" barrel I'll definitely save for the Vang Comp unit. I really need to spend some time comparing the rifle sites on my 870 to the ghost rings on my Benelli M4.

Hey Joe, is if this post was made on Friday and "tomorrow is my last day", (which obviously would be Saturday) then how could it be a "9-5 job"? :D

I know, I know :s0128:
Seriously now, good luck with your new career change and with your build. :s0133:

//

Heh that was Thursday night, I hadn't been to bed yet. I'm usually up late working on NWFA. Definitely not a 9-5, more like 7-6!

Thanks for the words :)

Are you putting the shells in brass up or brass down? I have an 18" SLP and I put the shell in brass up so they don't fall out. I practice at the gun range loading shells from my mesa tactical side saddle and firing them.

I received my Magpul furniture in the mail yesterday, couldn't wait to get it installed!

photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG

Though I haven't shot it yet, I absolutely love the transformation. It's quite a bit lighter and easier to handle now. The Magpul furniture seems to be very high quality. Next I need to get a set of receiver pins so I can remove the side saddle, then figure out what I need to do to mount a rail on the top of the receiver. I can't wait to shoot this :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top