JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
full disclosure, I was poopooing whatever the docs were saying about my health lately.
Well I've had a change or heart and attitude.

I have woke up to the fact that I'm 45 and I have to set guidelines for the rest of my life.

Why such a complete wake up? Well I went up to the mountains to demo a snow bike. When I got stuck I'd have to pick the bike up and flip down hill. My heart was about to explode. I had Zero oxygen. Bloods to thick!

I've got way to much to live for. I'm going to own this situation.

Join us on the Exercise thread for accountability.

Good for you. I strongly recommend you add lifting. Pick up something heavy every day. An engine block, bag of dog food, or real weights does not matter. Lifting produces testosterone. (not enough to get of TRT)
Do squats with some weight - just that simple.

My coach is on TRT, if you are interested I can point you at his U-tuby.

For eating, Keto has been working for me. Couple in Intermittent fasting. Meat you harvested yourself + veggies which grow above ground. All you want (mostly) Do not eat for x hours /day - fast. 12 hours min, 16 is better, 18. What ever you can do. This minimizes the insulin spikes. Lots of info out there, here is a good start ( visual )
A Low-Carb Diet for Beginners – The Ultimate Guide – Diet Doctor

My Dr identified my back problem. He told me it was getting too far from my front. No cookies nor sweets since May 2018 and lost over 20#. Its a start. Good luck to you.

Excellent. Taking control is harder than it seems it should be. Our bodies are good at tricking us into abusing them (unhealthy eating, sedentary lifestyle, all the bad seems good) it takes an act of will to take control. That act of will is often too overwhelming for many, we should be able to just order our bodies to do what we want, seems logical, unfortunately we're all pretty aware that aint how it works out.

My oldest boy is struggling w/weight and lifestyle health issues, he's got COPD which keeps his activity down but has a pretty active job, city utility worker. He's struggling to balance his lack of activity with his eating habits. He's got 60-70 lbs to lose at 36 yo. It breaks my heart sometimes to watch him struggle with it. He likes his alcohol which I'm afraid is probably a big part of the issue.

I personally don't drink, am 56, 6'3" and weigh 180-190 depending on the week. When I was riding dirt bikes every weekend I weighed 210 but after a catastrophic 'get off' which broke me pretty badly I quit 'hardcore' riding and lost a lot of muscle. I've been at the 180-190 weight ever since. It's amazing how little I need to eat when I'm not doing anything, you have to balance your intake with your activity level in order to maintain a healthy weight. If your real busy you can eat more, if not cut down.

I've got a theory about the quantity of food required to maintain a healthy weight. Since I know how much I eat everyday, how active I am and how much I weigh (I check nearly daily) I know how much food intake is required to maintain a certain weight. Like I mentioned, I've been amazed at how little my body requires when I'm being sedentary, probably 1 good meal a day and a snack or 2. Then I see how much food people are shoving into they're faces everyday, some gain, some don't depending on metabolism but generally almost everyone eats too much food, way too much IMO. Your body sloughs off what it doesn't use aside from what it can absorb, your body takes what it needs (and then some) and passes the rest. If you like to eat then you need to ensure your active enough to equalize your caloric intake w/the calories your burning so you probably need to supplement normal activity with some gym time or similar forced activity. Being fit is important, being ripped not so much.

I have a cousin who's been a Mr Universe competitor, his day job is riding on trains, when he was competing his body required him to work out hours a day to burn his caloric intake and turn it into muscle. While not competing he still had to work out hours a day to maintain his weight and muscle tone, all forced activity. If he didn't he would lose it, he monitored his caloric intake very closely. He's probably 50-60 lbs lighter now as he doesn't compete anymore but he still has to work out to keep what he has from turning into fat (he likes to eat). I'm personally not a fan of forced activity if it isn't fun, I don't like to work out. I do however live on a farm and have a lot of chores and activities that keep me busy and like to have fun riding or hiking the woods, it works for me. Everyone needs to find they're own balance, if your not inclined to 'work out' then you need to adjust accordingly.
You are right on about so many people overeating these days, even most "poor" people in this country have access to more calories than they need. Our bodies are amazingly efficient and much of today's food sources are calorie dense. Stat wise I am in the same boat as OP at 6ft and almost 250lbs. If all food tasted like crap we would be a fitter nation but that is obviously not the case so it's a battle to maintain discipline when fueling your body and I haven't been winning lately.

I found that to give up foods I like was impossible.
But, that I could add foods which I like, and those worked to be in place of other foods.

Do I like a twinkie - you bet. Do I like bacon - much better.

My other eating disorder is that I tend to eat it until it is gone. Have a bag of chips - just the empty bag. I am not successful in getting a small portion and leaving the rest, I end up getting those small portions until they are all gone. So, I don't bring those items into the house - and it was a struggle with the Mrs - as she wanted to do something "nice" for me when she went shopping.

Good luck to all who aim to eat better this year.

Join us on the Exercise thread for accountability.

Good for you. I strongly recommend you add lifting. Pick up something heavy every day. An engine block, bag of dog food, or real weights does not matter. Lifting produces testosterone. (not enough to get of TRT)
Do squats with some weight - just that simple.

My coach is on TRT, if you are interested I can point you at his U-tuby.

For eating, Keto has been working for me. Couple in Intermittent fasting. Meat you harvested yourself + veggies which grow above ground. All you want (mostly) Do not eat for x hours /day - fast. 12 hours min, 16 is better, 18. What ever you can do. This minimizes the insulin spikes. Lots of info out there, here is a good start ( visual )
A Low-Carb Diet for Beginners – The Ultimate Guide – Diet Doctor
Great advice Ric. Lifting weights/building muscle actually helps you burn more fat than just cardio alone. Muscle mass burns energy and fat, just to keep and also can continue to help you burn fat, for up to 36 hours after your workout. By just doing cardio, you will also lose muscle mass. Look at how slender Marathon runners are. Keeping insulin levels down is also paramount to burning fat.

Last Edited:
I went all of 2018 without any tobacco. And have decided to cut out most sugar and carbs this year.
Always something to work on.

As to testosterone?
I'm 51 and only have half the ability to make it now due to cancer.
But My numbers are good. And all works well. ;)

The gym three times a week and those long daily walks is probably why?

I'm a strong muscular guy. But struggle with joint problems. They are just worn out. And it's got me looking very hard at my food choices. Something I haven't really done before? Probably because I can eat anything and not get fat. And my numbers are all good.

But now it's time to think about what my food is doing to me that I cant see as easily?

There is no reversing damage to my joints. I know that. But I believe I may treat some of the pain and swelling by cutting out sugar and carbs. And adding turmeric and other beneficial things to my diet.

Who knows? We will see?

I went all of 2018 without any tobacco. And have decided to cut out most sugar and carbs this year.
Always something to work on.

As to testosterone?
I'm 51 and only have half the ability to make it now due to cancer.
But My numbers are good. And all works well. ;)

The gym three times a week and those long daily walks is probably why?

I'm a strong muscular guy. But struggle with joint problems. They are just worn out. And it's got me looking very hard at my food choices. Something I haven't really done before? Probably because I can eat anything and not get fat. And my numbers are all good.

But now it's time to think about what my food is doing to me that I cant see as easily?

There is no reversing damage to my joints. I know that. But I believe I may treat some of the pain and swelling by cutting out sugar and carbs. And adding turmeric and other beneficial things to my diet.

Who knows? We will see?

I hear sugar causes joint pain.

But I believe I may treat some of the pain and swelling by cutting out sugar and carbs. And adding turmeric and other beneficial things to my diet.

Research on inflammation. Your food choices can reduce general inflammation.

I like Examine.com
they will hit you up for an account, but it is not required to see most of the site, just takes a couple extra clicks.

full disclosure, I was poopooing whatever the docs were saying about my health lately.
Well I've had a change or heart and attitude.
5'10
265lbs.
Triglycerides 848!
I use Testosterone replacement.

Update now.
Cut the Testosterone injections by 1/2.
Cut out 95% of sweets
Cut bread
Cut almost all rice
Letting some weights. (Always have).
Running 30 minutes a day.
Drinking lots of water

Current weight is 257lbs. Made that reduction in 3 weeks.
Goal. 190lbs. Continued healthy living. Hour of running per day. 5 days a week.

I have woke up to the fact that I'm 45 and I have to set guidelines for the rest of my life.

Why such a complete wake up? Well I went up to the mountains to demo a snow bike. When I got stuck I'd have to pick the bike up and flip down hill. My heart was about to explode. I had Zero oxygen. Bloods to thick!

I've got way to much to live for. I'm going to own this situation.

One thing that'll speed up the weight loss is "time-restricted eating" AKA timed fasting. If you restrict your eating such that you have at least a 12 hour period of fasting each day you'll be amazed at how much it helps. I did an 8/16 fast (eat only between 9AM-5MP) and the increased loss was awesome. You'll also have more energy and a clearer head. Part of the timed fast is also not eating at least 2 hours before bedtime.

The downside of an 8/16 is that you'll end up eating all three meals at work. I work from home now so it's not such a big deal but it got a bit old having to pack breakfast lunch and dinner each day. Of course, seeing the three to four pound loss per week made up for it.

One thing that'll speed up the weight loss is "time-restricted eating" AKA timed fasting. If you restrict your eating such that you have at least a 12 hour period of fasting each day you'll be amazed at how much it helps. I did an 8/16 fast (eat only between 9AM-5MP) and the increased loss was awesome. You'll also have more energy and a clearer head.
Interesting.
I think this is a tried and true method forever. My question is, if you stop doing this will you put weight back on? There's studies I guess that show that 6 very small meals is better. ??

Interesting.
I think this is a tried and true method forever. My question is, if you stop doing this will you put weight back on? There's studies I guess that show that 6 very small meals is better. ??

The debate does go on about fewer/big meals vs smaller/more meals. However, since studies have shown that even with eating the same amount of calories, the person doing time restricted fasting will at the very least gain less weight - you can kind of have it both ways. If one likes eating six small meals you could do that fairly easily with a 12-hour fasting plan.

One nice thing i noticed was that on the 8/16 schedule I felt really satisfied since each meal in the 8 hour eating period was relatively large because you had to cram in all your calories. Also, after the first week of getting used to not eating after 5 PM I wasn't really hungry anymore in the evening. I also do low carb, so that lets me eat roughly 1800-2K calories a day and still lose at least 2 lbs per week.

low-carb/keto calculator to determine calories/day if you're interested: Keto Calculator - Precise, Simple Way to Determine Your Macros

I go for a long walk every day.
The only time I'd run is if something was after me. :s0114:

I like to run so it sucks but the joints can't handle much any more. Nothing else builds up my lung capacity like running, so I usually run 1/2 or 3/4 mile for a warmup before lifting, then do low impact cardio after.

Lotta good stuff said here of course.
One thing I've watched twice over the years is this.. its entertaining and something might be learned as there's some crossover given that we're all humans but not all are professional athletes..

One thing that'll speed up the weight loss is "time-restricted eating" AKA timed fasting. If you restrict your eating such that you have at least a 12 hour period of fasting each day you'll be amazed at how much it helps. I did an 8/16 fast (eat only between 9AM-5MP) and the increased loss was awesome. You'll also have more energy and a clearer head. Part of the timed fast is also not eating at least 2 hours before bedtime.

The downside of an 8/16 is that you'll end up eating all three meals at work. I work from home now so it's not such a big deal but it got a bit old having to pack breakfast lunch and dinner each day. Of course, seeing the three to four pound loss per week made up for it.
Does the 7-8 hours of sleep, count for fasting? Combined with the two hours before bed and two hours after I wake, without eating is 12 hours. I do have water and coffee in that time span, but both are appetite suppressants.

Does the 7-8 hours of sleep, count for fasting? Combined with the two hours before bed and two hours after I wake, without eating is 12 hours. I do have water and coffee in that time span, but both are appetite suppressants.

Sleep time counts as fasting time. You can have food in your coffee during your eating window, but drink it black in your fast window. Water, Coffee, tea, no calories - no food added - are good in your fasting window. (Food ie milk/creamer/etc)

I eat 2 meals - and if I really need it a snack. That is uncommon. My food window is 11 - 7. I get done at gym at 6:30 and if I want some protein after my workout I need to be in the food window.

I am not religious about this, it is a matter of choices and once I got off the sugar/carbs, my sweet tooth left. I had a few pieces of Applettes & Cottlettes and was surprised how poorly I felt/how sweet they tasted.

No right or wrong, just what works for you.

I expect that after some months a food plan change will be in order.

Indeed, the sleep period will comprise a good deal of your fasting time. Most studies I've read also recommend water and coffee to stay hydrated and curb hunger pangs.

I thought it was really interesting to read that it's speculated we weren't so fat up through the 70's as a nation because most parents enforced a 'fast'. I.E. no snacking between meals or after dinner. We got three squares including desert but hardly anyone was fat.

Sleep time counts as fasting time. You can have food in your coffee during your eating window, but drink it black in your fast window. Water, Coffee, tea, no calories - no food added - are good in your fasting window. (Food ie milk/creamer/etc)

I eat 2 meals - and if I really need it a snack. That is uncommon. My food window is 11 - 7. I get done at gym at 6:30 and if I want some protein after my workout I need to be in the food window.

I am not religious about this, it is a matter of choices and once I got off the sugar/carbs, my sweet tooth left. I had a few pieces of Applettes & Cottlettes and was surprised how poorly I felt/how sweet they tasted.

No right or wrong, just what works for you.

I expect that after some months a food plan change will be in order.

Did you notice an increase in your weight loss when you started fasting? I was doing really well on a standard low-carb diet before I threw in timed fasting and was amazed at the extra pound or two per week that resulted.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top