JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
full disclosure, I was poopooing whatever the docs were saying about my health lately.
Well I've had a change or heart and attitude.
5'10
265lbs.
Triglycerides 848!
I use Testosterone replacement.

Update now.
Cut the Testosterone injections by 1/2.
Cut out 95% of sweets
Cut bread
Cut almost all rice
Letting some weights. (Always have).
Running 30 minutes a day.
Drinking lots of water

Current weight is 257lbs. Made that reduction in 3 weeks.
Goal. 190lbs. Continued healthy living. Hour of running per day. 5 days a week.

I have woke up to the fact that I'm 45 and I have to set guidelines for the rest of my life.

Why such a complete wake up? Well I went up to the mountains to demo a snow bike. When I got stuck I'd have to pick the bike up and flip down hill. My heart was about to explode. I had Zero oxygen. Bloods to thick!

I've got way to much to live for. I'm going to own this situation.

I'm much like you. Since June I have lost 68lbs and cut my blood pressure meds in half. Eating better, no drinking or chewing, walking 5 days a week and lifting some weights again. I'm 49 so you at least got a head start on me haha. Keep up the good work. :D

Excellent. Taking control is harder than it seems it should be. Our bodies are good at tricking us into abusing them (unhealthy eating, sedentary lifestyle, all the bad seems good) it takes an act of will to take control. That act of will is often too overwhelming for many, we should be able to just order our bodies to do what we want, seems logical, unfortunately we're all pretty aware that aint how it works out.

My oldest boy is struggling w/weight and lifestyle health issues, he's got COPD which keeps his activity down but has a pretty active job, city utility worker. He's struggling to balance his lack of activity with his eating habits. He's got 60-70 lbs to lose at 36 yo. It breaks my heart sometimes to watch him struggle with it. He likes his alcohol which I'm afraid is probably a big part of the issue.

I personally don't drink, am 56, 6'3" and weigh 180-190 depending on the week. When I was riding dirt bikes every weekend I weighed 210 but after a catastrophic 'get off' which broke me pretty badly I quit 'hardcore' riding and lost a lot of muscle. I've been at the 180-190 weight ever since. It's amazing how little I need to eat when I'm not doing anything, you have to balance your intake with your activity level in order to maintain a healthy weight. If your real busy you can eat more, if not cut down.

I've got a theory about the quantity of food required to maintain a healthy weight. Since I know how much I eat everyday, how active I am and how much I weigh (I check nearly daily) I know how much food intake is required to maintain a certain weight. Like I mentioned, I've been amazed at how little my body requires when I'm being sedentary, probably 1 good meal a day and a snack or 2. Then I see how much food people are shoving into they're faces everyday, some gain, some don't depending on metabolism but generally almost everyone eats too much food, way too much IMO. Your body sloughs off what it doesn't use aside from what it can absorb, your body takes what it needs (and then some) and passes the rest. If you like to eat then you need to ensure your active enough to equalize your caloric intake w/the calories your burning so you probably need to supplement normal activity with some gym time or similar forced activity. Being fit is important, being ripped not so much.

I have a cousin who's been a Mr Universe competitor, his day job is riding on trains, when he was competing his body required him to work out hours a day to burn his caloric intake and turn it into muscle. While not competing he still had to work out hours a day to maintain his weight and muscle tone, all forced activity. If he didn't he would lose it, he monitored his caloric intake very closely. He's probably 50-60 lbs lighter now as he doesn't compete anymore but he still has to work out to keep what he has from turning into fat (he likes to eat). I'm personally not a fan of forced activity if it isn't fun, I don't like to work out. I do however live on a farm and have a lot of chores and activities that keep me busy and like to have fun riding or hiking the woods, it works for me. Everyone needs to find they're own balance, if your not inclined to 'work out' then you need to adjust accordingly.

Good on you for deciding you had enough and wanted a change. As stated above it is HARD to break the bad unhealthy habits. (Don't ask me how I know :)) Keep up the hard work and it will certainly produce the desired results.
Here's to a healthy and happier you!!

Thanks guys.
I also failed to add I hardly drink any milk now. A little on the oatmeal. I've heard it turns to sugar and then fat.

When I was in college I ran 45 miles a week. That's really hard to do now with a wife and 5 kids. It really screws with my eating. When I run long distance I can't eat for 2-3 hours before I run. And it's sucks!
My motivations are different now. It's about being able to do whatever I want and keep up with the kids. Like to be a fly weight.
This whole event lately has really hit me hard. Eyes wide open.

Good for you!

The only thing I can say I did successfully today was pass this stone in the school urinal.... no joke.

7800E1C0-5B29-47CE-B849-BA8B98ADC646.jpeg

Awesome. The only thing I can think to add, is to be careful with the running. I'm 39 and was running like a hamster a few months back. It took a big toll on my joints and I had to start doing lower impact cardio like swimming, bike and stairs.

I'm older than you and have been in terrible shape a couple times due to injuries/yada.
I could sure stand to stop smoking but I consider myself to be in pretty good shape, often referred to as a "specimen" by people I don't even know. Lol, just waiting for stomper and a turtle joke.
Anyway, your prior description of your condition shocked me is all and good for you for reassessing reality.

Ahh, who you tryin' to kid. Ain't no gyms in Idaho.

Seriously, good start on your journey though. I thought you were talking about me in your intro. Sorry to hear we're in such bad shape.
Oh I'm not in bad shape. Just extra weight. And yes we have gyms here. Lots of them. But we enjoy the Y compared to the popular gyms

They seem to be getting popular. My mom and a bunch of her friends go to the one in Caldwell. She says it's really nice. Always lots of cars in the lot.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top