JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All, I have been reading a lot of great suggestions here on how we can stall, defeat, counteract, etc IP 43. Is there a member here that can flush out these suggestions and let us know which ones will actually have a good chance of working? And then provide leadership and step by step guidance on how to get these things done?

For example: Somebody suggested filing a procedural something or another to try and get the Secretary of State to throw out the IP because it is constitutionally invalid since it try do do more than one thing. It seems like we need an constitutional attorney to sort out these ideas and then guide us on how to proceed with the suggestions.

If the filing was all written out and I just had to print it, sign it and mail it I would be much more likely to do it. I am sorry for sounding lazy but I am struggling with trying to figure out which area I should be focused on. I will attempt to file the complaint on the draft ballot title but even with that it would be helpful to have a template and instructions. The other ideas seem much more involved and complicated. My simple mind wants to help but is overwhelmed with all the ideas being pitched out there. You guys are a smart bunch.

If the filing was all written out and I just had to print it, sign it and mail it I would be much more likely to do it.

It really does need to be in your own language because if we all start signing and submitting the same stock text it makes it a lot easier to ignore. "Oh, they all just got that text from some gun-nut site and sent it in all at once."

If you need help from a technological perspective, I have a computer, printer and scanner and I'm happy to help you construct something that you can sign and email.

Thanks for offer to help. Could you post a pic here of the letter you drafted so I can get the format correct? I can come up with my own language for this stage of the process.

I received the following email from the SOS yesterday with the invitation to offer suggestions on rulemaking for the initiative and referendum process and my reply is found below the email. Something to keep in mind and take advantage of here is that we currently have a right-leaning SOS, so please jump on board as this is our opportunity to potentially make things easier on us for the next time. Unfortunately, there will be a next time...

State Initiatives and Referendums
Next month we will begin formal rulemaking to adopt permanent rules relating to the state initiative and referendum process. We intend to put forward the current temporary rule with the State I&R manual dated January 10. We invite additional changes you wish to have considered for inclusion into this manual that will be in effect for the 2020 petition cycle. If you have any suggestions please get them to us not later than Friday, May 4 and we will consider whether to include them in this version. Please send suggestions to: [email protected]

My response was as follows:

In regards to rulemaking changes to the state initiative and referendum process, please consider adopting a rule requiring the state to provide a template/form for registered voters to use in petitioning the Oregon Supreme Court to review a Certified Ballot Title. Oregon Rules of Appellate Procedure, Rule 11.30, is difficult for the average voter to navigate, and Oregonians shouldn't have to hire an attorney and assume the associated expense simply to have a voice in their government. A template/form provided by the State would allow more registered voters the ability to be heard at that stage of the initiative and referendum process, and a link to the additional form should be inserted on page 21 of the State Initiative and Referendum Manual along with the current link to Form SEL 324 - Notice of Ballot Title Challenge.

Thank you for your consideration,

Last Edited:
I received the following email from the SOS yesterday with the invitation to offer suggestions on rulemaking for the initiative and referendum process and my reply is found below the email. Please jump on board as this is our opportunity to potentially make things easier on us for the next time. Unfortunately, there will be a next time...

State Initiatives and Referendums
Next month we will begin formal rulemaking to adopt permanent rules relating to the state initiative and referendum process. We intend to put forward the current temporary rule with the State I&R manual dated January 10. We invite additional changes you wish to have considered for inclusion into this manual that will be in effect for the 2020 petition cycle. If you have any suggestions please get them to us not later than Friday, May 4 and we will consider whether to include them in this version. Please send suggestions to: [email protected]

My response was as follows:

In regards to rulemaking changes to the state initiative and referendum process, please consider adopting a rule requiring the state to provide a template/form for registered voters to use in petitioning the Oregon Supreme Court to review a Certified Ballot Title. Oregon Rules of Appellate Procedure, Rule 11.30, is difficult for the average voter to navigate, and Oregonians shouldn't have to hire an attorney and assume the associated expense simply to have a voice in their government. A template/form provided by the State would allow more registered voters the ability to be heard at that stage of the initiative and referendum process, and a link to the additional form should be inserted on page 21 of the State Initiative and Referendum Manual along with the current link to Form SEL 324 - Notice of Ballot Title Challenge.

Thank you for your consideration,
Thank you Defense Minister, that is an excellent suggestion and I hope they act on it. Very well written.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top