JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My son and I took his son out to the range,to shoot,for the 1st time last Saturday.
Up until now he's just watched and begged off when offered the chance to shoot.
No worries,not going to push him into it.
He's almost 7 ,btw
Lateley he's been asking to maybe go shoot,so we headed out with a few guns and tons of ammo.
His form is terrible of course,but he hit the pie plate 80 % 1st try out...with some help from Dad of course.
Kept him at the bench so the muzzle was contolled,and we did have him operate the safety when appropriate.
All in all a GREAT DAY,one I'll cherich for a long time.

Next,the Rossi lever gun with light cowboy loads.It's a pussy cat.

Pics are too large,will fix that and post some tomorrow.

:s0155: Start 'em young :) .

Keith (My daughter at 7)

Keely and 10-22.jpg

My daughter wanted to shoot the hand guns but it was a 44 magnum and a 1911 45ACP. I had talked to one reloader who spoke of making light loads then later on seen a link on a gun page somewhere (was looking for something else at the time so I never followed to see what it actually said) the title was Youth Loads. This inspired me to try something. My particular recipe is 3.0 gr. of HP 38, 240 gr SWC bullet in a 44 special case and whatever OAL the book called for. Starting load in my manual was 4.6 gr so I was at about 65% of a starting load. Toned the recoil down where my 9 y/o daughter can now shoot the 44 with her 44 special special's. It does make for a dirty sooty mess to clean afterward.

I haven't tried it for the 45 because I think the semi-auto action probably won't work at less than a starting load which is probably still too much recoil for her.

It is good to watch our kids shoot, just though I would share an additonal option for those who reload or know someone who does.

Last Edited:
Three years ago I bought Mom a Henry .22 for her 73rd birthday. (don't tell I said how old she really is!) She had never shot a gun in her life. I got a weird look from her as she pulled it out of the box after she unwrapped it, but since then it's turned into an item she's proud of and loves to share. She was there when I first shot a gun and now it was my turn.
Young or old it's an awesome feeling introducing someone into the shooting sports.

Spectra,that is my 'home' range,Wolverton Mt. gun club.It's private,but is open to the public on the second sunday of the month.It'sa bout 25 minutes east of woodland,wa.Hang a right like going to Battle Ground,it's just minutes from that junction,on the left.

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top