JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
(As opposed to the shooting academy)

Had my daily carry out today. Shooting left. Consistently left.

I see that my front sight has drifted right - the dovetail base is fully at the edge of the dust cover and away from the left edge. I didn't have a punch with me, so I just stuck it out.

My sight is an XS Big Dot - hadn't heard of these having an issue with staying in place. Has anyone ?
What can I do to keep it centered?

Smith Shield is the pistol.

TIA

Place it back where it was then hit it with some red loctite to keep it secure. Of course this is all assuming the dovetail fit is still tight.

Another option besides locktite is to remove the sight completely, flip it over and hit the bottom of the dovetail in a couple spots with a punch. This will raise some metal around where the punch struck and increase friction as you drive the sight back into place. I've found it works better than adhesive, particularly if you're getting that part of the gun hot.

Another option besides locktite is to remove the sight completely, flip it over and hit the bottom of the dovetail in a couple spots with a punch. This will raise some metal around where the punch struck and increase friction as you drive the sight back into place. I've found it works better than adhesive, particularly if you're getting that part of the gun hot.

That's right.

Same way you keep a bearing on a slightly worn or undersized shaft. ;)
And it doesn't take much. So start light and check the fit.

I can confirm from personal experience that this method works very well, although in my case it was the rear sight. If you choose to do this, make sure you support the sides and have the dot part nor resting on anything. I don't know how much of a whack it can take. I didn't have a proper punch on hand, so I used one of those automatic center punches. Worked great. It will seem that the punch displaces very little metal, but it is enough.

Don't be afraid of moving your sights. And yes use some BLUE loctite if you want to move them again. Don't ask how I know that. LOL With all due apologies to the creators of targets that can correct all the ills of your pistol shooting, they don't work for everybody. Since age 18ish I have consistently printed a pistol to the left of center. Elevation is good but always left. My opinion is only my own but now as an old guy I am convinced more than ever that the "machine" must be tailored to the individual person. Every pistol/brand of pistol I have ever owned needed some sight adjustment so it would track on target for me. That adjustment may not work for the next guy but it hits the bull for me. Why put up with a firearm that makes you shoot bad when a sight adjust will cure the problem? Each of us are unique in the way we will hold a pistol even using the same method. Muscle tension,shoulder strength, etc will vary with the individual. Repeating the same mistakes over and over again with more intensity just frustrate learning. Adjust your sights so they work for YOU. That's my approach. You get in the 10 ring with every shot who cares that your sights were adjusted for your shooting style? Perhaps that's why they are made adjustable! Rave off. This is just my opinion you don't have to agree with it. Probably better if you don't. ;-) Cheers.

Just put some new Trijicons on a pistol of mine. Asked the 'smith to position the rear sight just a smidge to the right of barrel center. He didn't. I shot it. Shot good left groups through 3 boxes of ammo. Took it back to my 'smith and he drifted the rear sights to the right [when looking down the barrel]. Now I will go shoot it again. Bet it's better now. May need a smidge more drifting to get it "on".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top