JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
have just gone tits up.

At least, so it seems.

I turn it on, and it glows with a reassuring blue screen, showing, after a couple of seconds to calm down, 0.000.

Trouble is, that's all it EVER shows, no matter what load I put there.

Anybody else who has had this bother care to advise me on the next step, preferably one that does not involve a short flight into the shop trash can? These things are pretty pricey here in not-so-Merrie Olde Englande.

TIA.

Is this the kind where it runs off AC and/or DC?

When batteries in electronics are about at the end of their life, they make the unit do weird things. Have you tried installing new batteries? If you have some batteries that have been setting around a while those might be "bad" too. Try a new set of batteries.

Clean the battery contacts too. Slight corrosion can cause problems.

If you are real ambitious, take it apart and "clean" the circuit board (after removing the batteries, of course). Some rubbing alcohol and an old toothbrush and "scrub" the circuit board. Dust/dirt/moisture across two circuit traces can cause it to go haywire too. Thoroughly dry, put it back together and see what happens.

That's about all I got.

Good luck.

:s0155:

Thanks, AMT, new batteries were the very first recourse..........zilch.

Since I have nothing to loose but a bunch of £££/$$$ I'll have a crack at cleaning stuff up, but everything I have looks like new...OCD, I guess.

I work in a shop and we troubleshoot/repair/calibrate electronic equipment. I cannot tell you how many times that I've received a piece of equipment and verified that it is "NFG". All the usual checks (batteries are good, contacts are good, getting AC power (if it runs on AC)) check good.

Tear the thing apart and still cannot find anything wrong. Then put it back together and it works! :confused:

So, the running "joke" in our shop is "take it apart and put it back together and see if that fixes it".

You would not believe how many times that has worked.... :eek:

Next I would check the connections to the load cell, then get a good magnifier of some sort and look at all the connections on the circuit board. Look for solder that is dull grey instead of shiny, or cracked. If you have a good VOM you can check the voltage across the load cell and see if it changes with pressure. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of hope for fixing it, but these are a few things you can check and possibly remedy. If you have an acquaintance who likes to tinker with electronics they may have some insights also.

Ink erasers and fine emery cloth are great for cleaning contacts. Sometimes the oxidization isn't visible. I put Deoxit on almost every electrical contact to prevent oxidation.
1601397111991.png

Bad nooz, Guys. This here item is designed to be put together, but NOT to be taken apart, with a number on one-way latches that hold it together from the inside that I can see, but not manipulate.

Looks like I'm futzed.

Ho-hum.

Not a problem in reality. I'd be a very old man by the time that Brownells here in Yoorup got around to responding to my query. Far cheaper to just hitch up the old hoss and go looking for one. Whinemeal, I have my RCBS 10-10, but it surely do get tedious when you have three hundred cartridges to load...........

As far as the recent announcement by Brownells that their European warehouse is now open for business, as far as I'm concerned it simply means that they can now ignore you from a lot nearer now. :rolleyes:

I'm very lucky here, insofar as I have a choice of no less than FOUR LGS - all of whom give club discount of around 10% on production of your range badge and are ALL equally capable of emptying my piggy bank with equal ease.

All of them are members of our gun club, too, :D so they know that they screw around with us at the peril of their reputatement.

Add to that that we have three custom rifle builders as members and you can see that we are not so poorly-off as you might imagine. Trade restrictions prevent me from mentioning names, per se, but perhaps THE most well-known has a name not unconnected with a certain aquatic movie-star called Flipper. ;)

I recently shopped on Amazon to replace the Franklin Armory scale that I gave to my SIL in a moment of weakness.

What is it with the "ratings" on both digital and beam scales???? I gave up on buying either after reading so many posts that none of these scales are accurate that are sold today. No digital scale is consistent. Neither are the balance beams, and the RCBS beam scales are not made by Ohaus any more/today.

I'll stick with my old 5-0-5 for now. And a digital jewelers scale that reads in carats, grams, and oz.

Good luck tac!!!

My 10-10 was made by Ohaus sometime in 1978, that's when I bought it fresh out of the shipping container at the big RCBS blow-out at the Wiesbaden R&GC, and is as near as darnit right on the nail, so long as I leave it where it is located.

1601411707216.png

I check it out with both heavy and light check weights before using it, leaving it around half a minute to make its mind up with each weight. Thereafter I check every tenth load I throw with the RCBS powder measure.

Seems to work out for me.

Yep, futzed.
The unit is regarded as "consufuzzed. [Edut: how did "consumable" become "consufuzzed"? My spell check has been drinking!]
What do you have as far as powder throw?

As of this moment, with my 10-10 RCBS scales currently located in NW England, I have a Lee scale made of zamak and plastic that I use for weighing bullets - it's fine with coarse weights, not with fine weights like powder.

I also have an RCBS powder measure, and a trickler.

Apart from that zero.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR