JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I'm still saving up for that first handgun. Haven't had much chance to shoot many guns, heck, or even hold many. I've decided I'm going to buy a 9mm. I'm also going to get a full size pistol instead of a compact. If I sell an item tomorrow from Craigslist, I should have about $350-$380 to start. Should I save a little longer? What pistol would YOU suggest I shoot for? I've been looking at Sig SP2022's as they seem to be decent guns and fairly affordable.

Any and all opinions welcome!

Thanks

I like the Glock models. I have shot so well with them compared to a few other guns. They are a bit pricey though. I suggest you go to the local range and try out a few weapons there and see what fits you best.

Glock is the ONLY gun.....For you!
Kidding man.

My first was a Ruger SR9c, about $420.00. It's heavy enough it doesn't bite, small enough to carry should you choose. I've not had one FTF, FTE in 700-800 round or so. It's not full size, but unless your hands are massive it's a good fit. Reversable backstrap helps with fit. Comes with two mags, one 10 round and the 17 round from the SR9 with a grip extension. Go fondle one.....And many others!
Fisherman's marine at Delta Park usually has them.

Mike

You are going to get alot of suggestions on what gun to buy. The best thing for you to do is go to a gun shop and start holding every gun you see. the guns will decide for you once you pick them up. Take notes on the ones that feel good in your hands. the next step I would take from there is finding a range with those guns and shoot each one, yes you may spend a few dollars to rent and shoot but once you find the one for you it make it easier spending the big bucks knowing you picked the right gun for you. nothing worse when you quickly buy something and find out it doesn't work for you. Take your time. Be picky. good luck

Sigs are affordable? :p

Kinda hard to make a suggestion without knowing what features you might want or what you'll be using it for. But I have a CZ 75B for home defense, plinking, occasional carry, and I love it. It comes in a variety of configurations too. CZ-USA -> Product Categories

Also check out https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/whats-your-favorite-9mm-and-why.45643/

Only one place out here I know of that is open to the public and rents... That's The Place to Shoot. Anyone else know of another range that meets that criteria?

You can rent here for $12 + ammo. <broken link removed> Mostly Glocks, Berettas, some revolvers. Keep in mind that you have to take a short (free) safety lesson/test before you can use the range or rent. It's quick and easy though. It's a nice indoor range and the people are always nice.

There is something to be said about learning to shoot a handgun starting with a 22lr.At least that's how i did it. Ammo is cheap, no recoil, you can focus on the fundamentals. I'm sure you can start right in with a 9mm too, but a 22lr will get you more trigger time for the buck. Lots of dry-firing was also useful, although with a 22lr you need training rounds to do this. I started in with a 22 revolver, which was spendy. But a Ruger Mark III or a Buckmark are inside your price range.

I already know how to shoot a handgun, and know about handgun safety. My dad has always had a CHL, he's a master hunter and he's a taxidermist by trade. I've grown up with things that go bang. I've just never dropped money on a handgun before. 22's are fun, but not what I'm looking to buy.

@bunny - You have to have your own gun in order to rent at the CSO range the last time I checked.

9mm? Really? Crappy round! Will not save your life when you need it to! Only handgun worth buying is HK Mark 23 or FNH .45 Tacticool! Maybe a .50 cal Desert Eagle!
JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I spent 2 hrs at a gun store before I purchased my 1st handgun, and all I did was inspect them for size, feel and comfort level! I have large hands so it is not easy fot me to hold anything comfortably but there are several manufacturers offering interchangeable backstraps now on all their calibers they offer.
Good luck and have fun, there are many many choices available!

Last Edited:
I live in Aloha and The Gun Brokers isn't too far away. Are they a decent place to buy? Is Fisherman's worth the drive? Anywhere else on the west side that won't look at me funny for asking to hold all of their stock? :)

The Clackamas Gun Broker is a really nice place with good people, but every time I've been there, they haven't had many pistols on the wall. Lot more rifles and such. Still a good store though. Fisherman's has an ok selection of a few brands and models, but not much brand variety. You'll find Glocks, Berettas, Rugers, etc. Even though I'd never buy from them (because of price), I found The Gun Room to be one of the nicest about letting me see and hold things. They let me see anything I wanted and lay them all out on the counter to compare. Visit them at your own risk though... lots of bad reviews. I may have visited on a particularly good day. Really, the best place to see and touch everything is at the gun shows.

I live in Aloha and The Gun Brokers isn't too far away. Are they a decent place to buy? Is Fisherman's worth the drive? Anywhere else on the west side that won't look at me funny for asking to hold all of their stock? :)

Gun Broker is good peole, prices might be a bit high, and if you go there on a weekend afternoon prepare to wait and WAIT and leave. Of course that can be said of any gun counter on the weekend. There's a Gun Broker on the West side too. Northwest Armory in Millwaukie is good, plenty of help behind the counter. Wholesale Sports on SE 82nd is good, if you manage to be there when James is at the counter prepare to have your gun counter dreams fulfilled, ESPECIALY if you're looking at 1911s. None of the shops really has a HUGE inventory, that's why you musy visit ALL of them. Makes and model seem to come and go from week to week, shop to shop. Visit them all every couple of weeks.

Kieth's in Gresham is the be all end all of guns counters, arguably the largest inventory of guns in the tricounty area. They have many more guns in the warehouse, so if you don't see it ask. Don't go to Kieth's on a weekend afternoon, go on a week day, early. Don't expect to get your hand held at Kieth's, they don't care if you like them. There are enough people buying at Kieth's that they don't need you. DO go to kieth's to buy, chances are they will have the gun you heard about, or the one you fondled at another store, and then it sold to the next person that held it and they don't know WHEN they'll see one again! And, a good chance the price will be better than others.

There's a place in Hillsboro too, can't think of the name, nice folks the time I talked to them.

I went into the gun room once.......

Sorry I don't have more for the West side for you, hopefully someone else will chip in here.

HAVE FUN FONDLING!

Mike

Why don't you just wait for the gun show at the expo center in less than 2 weeks? I can't think of a better place to handle so many guns and get a decent price on them to boot.

If you're looking new, you might want to save a bit more. I'm also not sure what that Sig costs new.

A gunshow is a good place to fondle a number of guns. It costs money to enter and in some places you pay to park. Depends on the time to run to different shops and burn gas though.

If you haven't shot many handguns, try some out and find something that works well for you.

If one handgun satisfied and surpassed the need of every person, everyone here would only have to tell you to buy that. Of course, it would eliminate the debate, recommendations, and some bs on these forums. Things aren't that simple so we get to debate over multiple calibers, pistol sizes, and manufacturers.

Someone in Oregon direct him to a range that rents guns.

IF it was me with $380,I would use that for a lay a way to get a better gun.
Sig,H&K,Glock,FN has some nice ones,S&W.,beretta
I have bought cheaper brands and sold them soon afterwards.I only have a few brands that I consider now.

But this will be for YOU so you need to handle and shoot the guns to see what fits YOU best

That's a good idea. You may try The Place to Shoot and Beavercreek Armory. I have not been to TPTS in years, and have yet to visit BCA, but both rent guns. The problem is both places are pricey. Other people may chime in.

The Clackamas County Public Training Center has rentals too. <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top