JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hit the range again to test out the Armalaser I put on my Taurus G2c. I adjusted it to 20 yards. After three shots it was off by 3". Back to fixed sights I guess. Another thing I found out was the Taurus would jam a cartridge every now and then. I would hit the slide forward and it would be fine for a while. I'll have to look into it. My S&W SW9VE worked so good I went by the gun store and purchased an MP 2.0 Shield 9mm.

Last Edited:
Here in yUK there are literally HUNDREDS of indoor ranges. Many, like ours, has special material backstops so you can shoot pistol-calibre rifles/carbines - usually underlever types, up to and including .44Spc, or, if you have it, .45Colt - lead only - no jacketed of any kind. The ranges are mostly no longer than 25m, some are 20 yards, though and are limited to .22cal RF only. It depends what their history was. Prior to WW2 most indoor ranges were 20 yards, and that was it.

Since we don't have loons like your pal with the belt-fed 1000 rounds of AK or AR to shoot, our ranges here are a tad more civilised.

You CAN shoot outdoors in the woods if you really feel you must, but you are very likely to get shot by the county SWAT team if you do. Everybody who has tried it in recent years has ended up the day in a black zip-up suit with not breathing holes.

Hit the range again to test out the Armalaser I put on my Taurus G2c. I adjusted it to 20 yards. After three shots it was off by 3". Back to fixed sights I guess. Another thing I found out was the Taurus would jam a cartridge every now and then. I would hit the slide forward and it would be fine for a while. I'll have to look into it. My S&W SW9VE worked so good I went by the gun store and purchased an MP 2.0 Shield 9mm.
Could be a matter of break in or something needing some polish. If you have not yet run a few hundred ball and if it will fee them then a couple boxes of HP. See if it will start to run 100%

Well, I can go when there's a blizzard and be warm while I shoot. :p Ya Ya, I know. But burnin' powder at short range is better than not burnin' powder at all. Ifn' you've got the urge.

For me, that's the best time to head out.

IMG_20200202_192410_954.jpg

1- wear earplugs inside the earmuffs, 2 - wear a hat, 3 - I like bigger guns than smaller guns, 4- I was the worst shooter there, and 5 - I'm going to have to shoot the G2c more to get used to the trigger safety.

1. You betcha
2. Never thought about it, we only have outdoor here.
3. Now you've done it!!
4. You're looking in the next stall??? Are you a toe tapper too? :eek::eek::eek:
5. G2c has writeups for having a crappy trigger. (Mostly the complaint is that it's gritty)

I hate crappy triggers. If you are going to shoot striker guns, you will need to get used to the trigger safety leaf. Sometimes the problem is that the shooter's hand is too small to adequately activate the trigger safety. If that is the problem, getting a handgun with a smaller grip is the answer. Otherwise, most gritty triggers can be fixed with a bit of polishing and sometimes a minimum of parts upgrade.

...and getting angry cuz a shooter's bang-bang is loud is a rather weak bit of anger.

Oh wait, I'll scale down to a single shot .22 short just for you dear...There, there, I know, loud noises are ever so terrrifying and calamitous.

Perhaps, knitting or crow-shaying is less fractious on the nerves.....or heck, go all the way to a quiltin-bee.....only have to hear soft women voices....very soothing....

When I was still working, I didn't get off until 6:00PM, I was the guy who set the alarm and locked the doors. So shooting was pretty much off the table during the week. Unless I went to an indoor range. So I did that for several years. The indoor range nearest my home was less than satisfactory. The so-called "range master" was really more of a retail clerk. Because he was working a retail counter facing away from the range. Range supervision was pretty lax and as a result, some unsafe practices were often seen. Then there was the nature of the night time crowd. Without casting aspersions, many customers were recent immigrants who were experiencing the joy of private firearms ownership and use that had been denied to them in their native lands. Some of them got pretty exuberant. There were shot-out light fixtures, lots of bullet streaks along the walls, and structural steel beams that supported the roof showed holes (at that time, non-magnum centerfire rifles were allowed). Because of safety concerns, I shifted my focus to membership at a local outdoor range and did my shooting on weekends. Then I retired, so finding time to shoot became less of a problem.

I agree that if the weather is bad and you get an itchy trigger finger, an indoor range can grant relief.

One issue I have with indoor ranges is that of adequate ventilation. I have no scientific means of measuring this. One thing I know, if it's cold out, a good ventilation system will significantly lower the indoor temperature of the range.

...and getting angry cuz a shooter's bang-bang is loud is a rather weak bit of anger.

Fair to say, you go to any gun range, expect loud noises. These days, annoyance from muzzle brakes has become a bit of an issue. The angled ones that blast hot gases back into the faces of shooters at benches to the right and left. Make fun of me if you will on this point, but you get next to a Rem. 300 Ultra Mag, that sucker will blow stuff right off your bench. The gas, the concussion, the noise make for a less than enjoyable experience. Fortunately, the ammo is expensive and punishing enough that not that many shots get fired before the shooter leaves.

crow-shaying

This made me laugh. I think it's actually spelled, "crochet" but I'm not on spelling police duty today. "Crow-shaying" gives me visions of someone out on their property, trying to shoo crows away. That would be, "crow-shooing" but close enough.

I hope no one thinks I'm complaining about the noise level. Having only shot guns outdoors I wasn't prepared for how loud an indoor range was. I had nice muffs on but wearing plugs under them after that first visit helped, a lot ! Of course it didn't hurt that there were only three stalls out of ten being used this last time.;)

I hope no one thinks I'm complaining about the noise level. Having only shot guns outdoors I wasn't prepared for how loud an indoor range was. I had nice muffs on but wearing plugs under them after that first visit helped, a lot ! Of course it didn't hurt that there were only three stalls out of ten being used this last time.;)

Our little 10 lane indoor range can get kind of loud. No high velocity or magnum ammo. Rimfire .22 in handgun or rifle okay. There are just window screens hanging from the ceiling for dividers. I've never been into .22 lr. However I do have both rifles and hand guns in .22. Fairly recently I became enamored by old, late '40s-'51 .22 rifles and bought a couple. Taking the new comers to the stable and shooting them made me feel for the others that had been shooting .22, before, when I was next to them shooting my CZ in .40 cal. :eek: Trying to put 10 shots in a dime size is tougher with someone next to you shooting a .45 or .40. :s0114:

I have a distinct preference for shooting outdoors.

When I lived in Portland, I belonged to a small members-only range. Guests with members were okay, but no public walk-ins - which was totally fine with me. Actually, I seldom ran into anyone there... perfect.

I really enjoyed refining my .22 skills indoors. But I quickly realized that centerfire pistols were bothersome (even doubled up with earplugs under muffs). Maybe it was the small building and low ceilings, but all that reflected concussion became fatiguing in short order. Never developed a flinch, but it felt like that could be possible for newer shooters who don't consciously reinforce cringe-avoidance skills. Who knows? Maybe this is a good tool to work on that (?).

I'm glad I had the experience there to learn what it's like shooting indoors (since you never know when/where you might have to shoot defensively). But I let my membership lapse when I moved an hour further away from the club. Honestly? I don't miss it..

Last Edited:
4. You're looking in the next stall??? Are you a toe tapper too? :eek::eek::eek:

LOL, I have a pic on my phone I snapped one day while back. Guy had bought a target that showed a bad guy holding a female from behind. So I guess you are supposed to shoot the BG in the head. Shooter had more holes in the hostage than the BG. I was making sure he could not see me taking the pic:D

BG1.png

I must admit that shooting there this last time was educational. I found that slowly pulling the trigger improved the target strike, something I learned on here. I'm thinking that a lighter trigger pull is a good thing. Am I right about that?

A lot of people would say yes, though I strongly prefer "predictable" to light if I can only have one or the other. I can say for sure that when I lightened a glock trigger too much, my groups tightened up considerably at the cost of fairly frequent light strikes.

Edit: Nothing is worse than a MUSHY trigger. If there's not a clean break, it's flat garbage. Kind of like your gun is saying "meh" every time it fires.

A lot of people would say yes, though I strongly prefer "predictable" to light if I can only have one or the other. I can say for sure that when I lightened a glock trigger too much, my groups tightened up considerably at the cost of fairly frequent light strikes.

Edit: Nothing is worse than a MUSHY trigger. If there's not a clean break, it's flat garbage. Kind of like your gun is saying "meh" every time it fires.

I'm spoiled by 1911 SA triggers with a crisp break. Not going to get that out of a striker fired pistol. As far as MUSHY goes, I watched a certain # of vids from a fellow whose last name ends in Glocks, and he has said that many competition pistol shooters prefer a "rolling" break vs a "glass-rod" break. The thinking is that it doesn't pull them off target during the follow-thru.

I'm also a fan of indoor ranges and belong to a nice on local to me which allows me practice time and relaxation time.

I've never personally been bothered by concussions from brakes (high powered rifle is GTG here) but others have complained when with me so it can vary from shooter to shooter.

While I like being outdoors, with the nearest leagal spot to do so at least an hour away it makes it insanely difficult to make time to head out to go shoot on the weekends without a ton of planning.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews