Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My first lower build

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Key-Hay, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

So here is my first attempt at building part of an AR. I have always put parts on but this was my first ground up. Got a RRA lower from Yooper time, Picked up a CMMG parts kit for $60 at the gun show. Had a RRA butt stock laying around so I got a ATI 6 position tube kit for $48 from MidwayUSA.

Lower total cost $237 (excluding tools I bought for assembly purposes)

DSCN2638.jpg

I totally wanna do it again!!!

2. Yooper Time

Yooper Time Bend, OR Member

Glad you had a good time with it! It is addicting!

gearhead and (deleted member) like this.
  3. SIG383

SIG383 Graham, WA Well-Known Member

I'm not quite done with my first build, and already working on getting parts for another! Yes, it is addicting!!!

4. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

The trigger guard pin and the bolt release pin were the hardest part for me. Feels good huh? I want to build an AR pistol but I have to save up to be poor.... but I really want to build another lower.
    Looks nice.... I don't see any scratches lol.

5. Key-Hay

I made a trigger guard support fixture on my table saw out of some old plastic cutting board. Totally took the fear out of installing the trigger guard pin.

DSCN2644.jpg

The video library at MidwayUSA was the best build video I found, Heavy on the tools they sell but I didn't need half of them.

MidwayUSA - Video Library

6. gearhead

gearhead NC Active Member

great job, not a scratch in sight! wish i could say the same for mine. a word of advice if you're building the upper - don't order a barrel with a standard front sight base if you're installing a one piece free float handguard. those pins are a nightmare to get out.

7. Key-Hay

Lots of blue painting tape.