JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, roughly 5 years ago, I purchased through the CMP a 'service grade' M1 Garand for $400. What I got, was entry into the entire shooting sport. I expected a 'shootable' firearm, but ended up with a matching numbers, perfect blued, milled receiver, Springfield Armory M1. It was manufactured early in 1944!

When I received my M1, it was matching numbers, and in quite great shape. The bore is excellent, and it functioned near-flawlessly. I have since replaced every spring in it, as well as lubed it up properly. Most importantly, I cleaned every ounce of cosmo out of every crevice on the weapon.

Recently, I took the old black-with-dirtiness stock, and decided to clean it. I scrubbed it as clean as I could, using only a wood-cleaner, and a sponge. After about 3 nights of solid non-abrasive scrubbing, I was able to get the wood completely clean! I absolutely adored the color and feel of the newly cleaned wood when wet, so I decided that instead of using some sort of stain or poly coating, I would go a more natural method.

Originally, the M1 was coated in Tung oil. Many recommended that, however in experimenting, I found that just about every oil I could find would darken the wood too much! I decided instead to do something goofy: I used Olive Oil!

It is a little off book, but it came highly recommended by a friend who does woodworking. Apparently it is easy to clean out if necessary, but keeps the wood properly moist and healthy without causing any lasting problems.

The only other things I've added are a sling (which is a repro) and the bayonet, which is an original Danish piece.

Now, I know you guys are waiting for them, so here are a few pictures I snapped really quickly:

In this one, you can see how awesome shape the whole action is.

This one shows just how great the wood turned out. The whole rifle matches in wood, which was apparently rare even new!

It is really difficult to believe that this rifle is more than 65 years old now! It looks and works better than even the brand new repros.

So I hope you all enjoyed this trip down memory lane, I know I did!

Yep, totally still my favorite. Whenever I take someone out to shoot, assuming it doesn't hurt their arm, everyone still loves the M1.

Mine is pretty awesome accuracy wise as well. This weekend, I shot at a small piece of wood (~the size of a gallon of milk) from more than 100 yards off hand, and got it on my first shot. It was pretty funny, since there wasn't a piece of wood when the 30'06 was done with it :)

I've had it out to 200 yards at one point, and was still hitting a piece of paper target more than 75% of the time using a bench to rest my elbow on.

Sweet, I wish I owned one.
My great-uncle use to go hunting with the one he was issued in the army. He was allowed to buy it when he came home from the Korean War; where he was not allowed to carry the rifle; he was a medic. Also he was the best shot in his company.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top