JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been carrying and teaching firearm classes for more than 20 years. In all that time, I have never had to pull my firearm on anybody.
Until 2 weeks ago.
My husband and I were working in our office and noticed that a vagrant kept walking by the door.
He opened our door and asked what day it was. My husband told him, but he stood there looking around the office for a minute before leaving. He made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
Neighboring businesses called to tell me that he was tearing up my flower baskets on the sidewalk, but I was on the phone with a client and busy, (and the flowers were getting old anyway) so I didn't do anything.
About 30 minutes later, he was back, looking into our window. He saw my security camera and freaked out....came running through the door and into our office screaming that he wanted the video footage and that we had no right to film him, etc...
My husband calmly told him that it was a traffic camera (which it actually is), but he went after the camera system and jerked it out of my wall.
My husband came out from behind his desk...and the guy charged him.
Without even a conscious thought, my training kicked in and I drew my gun. I moved to the side as my husband was between us and I needed to have a clear shot.
(I was later very surprised at how quick my reaction was.)
He looked past my husband and looked straight down the barrel of my gun as I had him sighted in.
He threw his hands up quickly...stating, "I don't want any trouble." but he kept moving forwards towards my husband.
His eyes were creepy. He looked very much like a young Charles Manson.
Of course at this point, my husband had his back to me still and thought the guy was reacting to him...thinking himself terribly intimidating. (When he turned around later and saw me there, he was sorely disappointed!)
I backed the guy out the front door and held him there as he kept trying to get back in. My husband called 911.
I was able to lock the door, but he stood there making faces and taunting me, rattling the doors and threatening to kick them!
The police station is actually about 100 feet from our door, but the 911 dispatch re-routes to a neighboring large city and then back to our small town.
It took 8 minutes after calling them for them to get there, with me holding my gun on him until they arrived.
I was asked if I wanted to press charges and I said yes...with no hesitation. They took him to jail ...and he was out and back the next day. Apparently the judge was told that I didn't want to press charges, so he was let out.
Now, he shows up often and stands across the street with his arms folded staring at my office.
The police Chief has now notified me that if he is seen again, he will be kept in jail. (He also has recent arrests in Eugene for menacing, stalking, Illegal use of a weapon and trespassing.)
Regardless, I have now upgraded my office security to include an under-desk mounted .40 cal.
It took about 3 days for the adrenaline to wear off!

The like is for telling the story, not for having it to tell!! Sounds like you handled it very well. Too bad the same can't be said for whoever dropped the ball with the judge. Is a restraining order a possibility?? Give them a reason to lock him up just for showing up.

A reminder that we always need to be aware of what's going on around us. And further confirmation that at work and at home carry have become necessary, as there's an element in our society that has no regard for boundaries or others property.

I never thought I would have to draw on anyone,but had to on a former friend who I thought I would be lifelong friends with.(both in our twenties)
Glad I didn't have to shoot, but I was ready and that was what ended the situation,sometimes just showing your serious and ready to use it is all that is necessary. If I didn't have my gun on me that day and help from the Lord I'd surely be dead.
That would have been hard to put down a friend, we grew up together on the same street, then apparently a screw got loose and I don't know what is going on in his head.
Someone I thought I could trust became completely unpredictable after one night, still makes me a little uncomfortable that he also has guns and knows where I live.
Sooner I can move to a new address the better. Should he come back I just hope I don't have to put him down,but realize I need to be ready to just in case.

I never thought I would have to draw on anyone,but had to on a former friend who I thought I would be lifelong friends with.(both in our twenties)
Glad I didn't have to shoot, but I was ready and that was what ended the situation,sometimes just showing your serious and ready to use it is all that is necessary. If I didn't have my gun on me that day and help from the Lord I'd surely be dead.
That would have been hard to put down a friend, we grew up together on the same street, then apparently a screw got loose and I don't know what is going on in his head.
Someone I thought I could trust became completely unpredictable after one night, still makes me a little uncomfortable that he also has guns and knows where I live.
Sooner I can move to a new address the better. Should he come back I just hope I don't have to put him down,but realize I need to be ready to just in case.
I rember this the day you posted it scary man sorry you had to go through that

These stories need to be forwarded to Salem & Olympia. These governors and representatives never belive events like these ever happen. Too many crying people writing how scared they are because, guns. Also they need to know about the big failure to keep this nut locked up.

Thanks for sharing the story and glad you are both ok. As for his release, even if they knew you wanted to press charges he would likely still be out. More and more states and areas are simply not keeping pre-trial inmates in jail, releasing them without bail. The papers in OR have featured many articles on this lately. A restraining order against him may be in your future. In my experience it doesn't always keep people away, but it does tend to keep them on jail longer. (When they show up again.)

Thanks for sharing this. First, I'm glad you're both okay. Second, good job keeping calm and falling on your training, a good reminder how important that training is. It's sad the system doesn't really deal with folks like this. It's left to citizens more often than I think most folks are willing to admit.

This also serves as a great reminder that the defensive use of firearms often doesn't have to end with a shot fired or someone dead. Presenting a gun can, and often is, deterrent enough. Unfortunately these types of uses aren't tracked in any real way, nor are they regularly reported, so unfortunately, many in the country are blind to the benefits of being armed.

Security cameras have come a long way these days.. make his head explode, literally. lol

upload_2018-11-20_6-40-36.jpeg

Reminds me a bit of the guy that was in our parking lot with a large knife and told someone he was waiting for one of us docs to come out to he could kill us. The police put him on the bus back to Portland, and he was also able to keep his knife. I think that was when I was waiting for my CHL to get sent to me so I did not have a firearm yet.

Then another guy that was at the front desk yelling at the staff and threatening them. He did not know I was standing at the corner of the hallway with a firearm. We used the "panic button" to call the police but he decided to leave and not get shot a good 15 minutes before the police arrived. If he came over the desk I would have shot him. No one behind him except a brick wall. It would be just as useful to make the panic button call the coroner instead of the police

After that incident corporate made us watch to "run,hide,fight" DOHS video. This only made the staff realize that they would be fish in a barrel if someone came in with a firearm or knife. Corporate refused to hire security though they did send out an unarmed security guard to hang out for a week after that.

So glad I left the Portland area. More and more crazy people and police only arrive in time to do the after-the-fact paperwork.

Another example that shows "police protection" is a myth. I have the utmost respect for all Law enforcement brothers and sisters, but this a perfect example why we have to take responsibility for protection for ourselves and our families. Sorry you had to experience that, and so glad you did not have to take a human life.
Glad you had the means, training, and self-restraint to end it without harm.
He is a lucky POS.

Great story, there was a video out a few years ago, that has since been buried by the media.
Showed nation wide the average response time to aggravated acts is still around 15 minutes.

Even the UCC shooting the response time was 6 minutes and police where down the street.
The system is flawed simply because there is never enough police. And a cop is not going to pull up and
barge into your house just cause you called, they have to show up, evaluate whats up and stay safe.

Speaking of well done and glad you are both safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top