JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Take it to an Appleseed KD event and learn how to shoot with nothing but you, your rifle and a sling.
Also, learn to run the bolt all of the way back. Push feeds will kick the empty casing out long before the bolt is far enough back to chamber the next round.

Take it to an Appleseed KD event and learn how to shoot with nothing but you, your rifle and a sling.
Also, learn to run the bolt all of the way back. Push feeds will kick the empty casing out long before the bolt is far enough back to chamber the next round.

Keep in mind this is the OP's first centerfire. He needs to get acquainted with it first.

P

Gotta do a standard AQT event before KD is available. I'd say the OP needs to learn the rifle first.

Keep in mind this is the OP's first centerfire. He needs to get acquainted with it first.

P
And learn bad habits?
Gotta do a standard AQT event before KD is available. I'd say the OP needs to learn the rifle first.

You do not need to do anything before doing an Appleseed KD event. I've only done two Appleseeds and they were both KD events. There is no better way, especially with "free" instruction, to learn your rifle than an Appleseed event. The only way to get "acquainted" with your rifle is to use it, and a little bit of stress due to a time limit will show one's weak points.
I don't give a hoot if it's his first, or his 20th rifle, the KD events will teach you more in a short time frame than almost any other class. I would only suggest he zero his rifle at 100 yards before the class and buy a bunch of the same ammo.

Eagle Creek, OR Known Distance Appleseed July 18, 2019 – One Day Event – Project Appleseed

Their website says differently. The basics are not taught at KD, only a quick review. And yes, I know a little something about this.

First red text line below the title if that helps.

@Kimber Custom

And you show the one day qualifier, not the 2 day event.
Doesn't matter, he should seek the assistance available at an Appleseed, especially if he's new to this.
I am far from a newbie with rifles and found the two day KD event a very good source of info. The fact that you are discouraging him from seeking help is disturbing.

And you show the one day qualifier, not the 2 day event.
Doesn't matter, he should seek the assistance available at an Appleseed, especially if he's new to this.
I am far from a newbie with rifles and found the two day KD event a very good source of info. The fact that you are discouraging him from seeking help is disturbing.

Eh, I'm not discouraging anyone. Just trying to help with FACTS.

Nevermind, what do I know?

Just to be completely transparent, all KD events on their site including 2-days state this clearly:

This is an Advanced Known Distance event. Only previous Appleseed attendees should sign up.

This is an Advanced Known Distance event. Only previous Appleseed attendees should sign up.

Above is the first "red text line" Kruelj is talking about.
It says "should", not must.
location | Project Appleseed
This is the link to the two day event that I suggest the OP attend. It's in September
I have attended two Appleseed events, one a two day, the second a one day Qualifier. Both KD events.
Fantastic events and I highly recommend them. Heck, I think I have that weekend free and may go myself!

This is the link to the two day event that I suggest the OP attend. It's in September
I have attended two Appleseed events, one a two day, the second a one day Qualifier. Both KD events.
Fantastic events and I highly recommend them. Heck, I think I have that weekend free and may go myself!

Fair enough.

@Kimber Custom can help here.

Just to be completely transparent, all KD events on their site including 2-days state this clearly:

I was told the KD was only available to shooters that had attended a standard Appleseed AQT event. The OP needs the training from an AQT event having not shot rifles much at all IMHO.

Point is, I'm NOT trying to argue here. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Previous Appleseed Experience is shoot boss discretion. There's value in getting 'the lay of the land' through a 25m event before adding the complexity of come ups, wind, percussion and recoil.

That said, fundamentally Appleseed is a learning experience. I don't turn anyone away who comes with a teachable attitude. My KD events are open to all.

We have one in Eatonville, WA at the end of June. The 1 day Thursday is just a qualification. There's no instruction at that event - show up and shoot. We will be back on the KD range at DRRC in Sept.

Previous Appleseed Experience is shoot boss discretion. There's value in getting 'the lay of the land' through a 25m event before adding the complexity of come ups, wind, percussion and recoil.

That said, fundamentally Appleseed is a learning experience. I don't turn anyone away who comes with a teachable attitude. My KD events are open to all.

We have one in Eatonville, WA at the end of June. The 1 day Thursday is just a qualification. There's no instruction at that event - show up and shoot. We will be back on the KD range at DRRC in Sept.

Thank you sir for the clarification. I apologize if I was off base.

:)

Sometimes the difference between "should" and "must" is imperceptible.

If you go home with a stripper, "should" you wear protection, or "must" you wear protection?

P

Did the Guy at sales counter say wby is better than the tikka?
I really hope it's not 6.5-300 for a newb or someone that was concerned about cost. Lol.
Either way, way to come through. Nice purchase and safe hunting
I bought the rifle online. The badlands version just came out in 2019. I know enough about calibers that I didn't want anything beyond a 308. I preferred the 6.5 creedmoor and what I got.

Congrats, I'm glad you made a decision. But the Weatherby isn't better than the Tikka.

Enjoy.

This.

Nor as accurate. I've owned multiples of both. Currently have 8 Tikkas and one Weatherby.

Good on you for making a purchase.

P
Yes, I could not have gone wrong with either brand. The Tikka was much lighter but I was turned off by the plastic trigger guard on the Tikka. The Weatherby seemed TO ME to be more rugged. Yes, the Weatherby was WAY heavier but l was fine with two more pounds of metal! Again, my opinion, but the Weatherby was a superior product!

Yes, I could not have gone wrong with either brand. The Tikka was much lighter but I was turned off by the plastic trigger guard on the Tikka. The Weatherby seemed TO ME to be more rugged. Yes, the Weatherby was WAY heavier but l was fine with two more pounds of metal! Again, my opinion, but the Weatherby was a superior product!

Howa. Good rifles.

And the most important thing is that you're happy with your choice.

Now go shoot. A lot.

P