Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

My First Centerfire Rifle is a Weatherby 6.5

Reactions
Weatherby 6.5.jpg

Many of you gave input, and I appreciate your suggestions. It came down to Tikka and Weatherby, and I chose the Weatherby because it is better made. The plastic trigger assembly on the Tikka was not impressive. Weatherby makes an awesome rifle! I will be doing lots of practice before hunting this fall. Will be putting a Leupold scope on it.

AndyinEverson

Reactions
Glad that you have a rifle that you like...As for practice...I'd suggest that once you get it sighted in and shot off the bench a bit , that you be sure to practice shooting off the bench as well.
Practice :
Off hand ...
In bad lighting / weather..
If possible in the area that you wish to hunt in...
When you are tired . cold , wet and hungry...
Good luck to you and happy shooting...!
Andy

Glad that you have a rifle that you like...As for practice...I'd suggest that once you get it sighted in and shot off the bench a bit , that you be sure to practice shooting off the bench as well.
Practice :
Off hand ...
In bad lighting / weather..
If possible in the area that you wish to hunt in...
When you are tired . cold , wet and hungry...
Good luck to you and happy shooting...!
Andy

In between the lines of what @AndyinEverson said about being cold (convulsive teeth chattering cold), wet (COMPLETELY soaked with pale prune skin), hungry (“hangry” & super horny)..... hello, hello Infantry! :D

Reactions
Did the Guy at sales counter say wby is better than the tikka?
I really hope it’s not 6.5-300 for a newb or someone that was concerned about cost. Lol.
Either way, way to come through. Nice purchase and safe hunting

Last edited:
It's a 6.5 creedmoor and badlands bronze.
It will be a good one. I picked up a base model Vanguard in 270, mounted a used scope I found in a pawn shop, out the door for just under $400. Took it to the range and shot right at MOA at 300 yards with it using core-lokts, federal blue box and fusion. The gun is plenty capable.

View attachment 585403
Many of you gave input, and I appreciate your suggestions. It came down to Tikka and Weatherby, and I chose the Weatherby because it is better made. The plastic trigger assembly on the Tikka was not impressive. Weatherby makes an awesome rifle! I will be doing lots of practice before hunting this fall. Will be putting a Leupold scope on it.
That plastic trigger guard is one of the reasons a T3 is a pound and a half lighter than the Badlands. Great lookin rifle, have fun with it.

Reactions
My Howa Vanguard is the original iteration of the Back Country, all stainless, fluted barrel. .30-06. Shoots great, very light, they’re not made anymore.

D4ADE098-39E8-4384-AC98-84C216568AB7_zpskzxgb32t.jpg

P

LATEST REVIEWS

• Klickitat County Firearms Training Facility
    4.00 star(s)
    Not really a range guy, as in I am 53 years old and today is the very first time I have been to an actual managed shooting range. Also, not a WA...
    • CRBMoA
  • Supporting Vendor Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    I've made several purchases here over the past few years and I've had a great experience every time. Prices are good, their staff is helpful, and...
    • Joe Link
  • Big Iron Armory
    5.00 star(s)
    It's great to have an LGS inside Portland Metro. Walt and Noah have put care into setting good prices and acquiring quality firearms and...
    • kr0ptkin
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Well I finally got around to taking pics of the Cerakoting work that Jeremy of Lucky Sports did for my wife and me about 3 weeks ago. We couldn't...
    • jg rider
  • Supporting Vendor Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Here's more work that Jeremy did for me The first 3 pics are of an RIA frame that I had Cerakoted years back by an outfit in Molino. I had Jeremy...
    • jg rider

Staff online