JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok first off I am not the best hunter, in fact I'm the guy that shoots all the retarded animals. When the animals see me they figure that I can't possibly be a hunter so I am safe. So here is my bear story, It started 2 years ago:

A friend and I were coming done from the top of the hill, we were just walking along the gravel road talking not thinking we could possibly spook anything now that it was midday. We had been hunting since day break and we had finally quit shivering from creeping around in the woods. As I was saying, we were walking down the road and I looked down to my right into a ravene about a hundered feet away and I see this what looks like a brown furry kitchen table moving along the bottom, well it finally dawns on me that it's a bear. So by now you can tell I am not the brightest bulb on the tree. I yell "BEAR"! So my buddy knows why I am flailing around trying to get my rifle off my shoulder. The backpack goes flying, binos slung over my shoulder and in the process of doing so giving myself a good nylon strap burn on my neck, finally get the scope up and I see it. Amazing my cross hairs are on it, I start the squeeze......what! where did it go? It just did a David Copperfield. Gone. I bring the rifle down and it is absolutly gone. Well we watch the general direction going up the other side of the ravine about 100 yards away and only see it for about 5 seconds, we only get 1 shot off.....clean miss. Good. Man that was a nice bear. Well that's what started the bear fasnication, I still have dreams of that bear.

So the next year, totally dfferent place, we see a bear on the hillside about 300 yards away, I yell "BEAR" so my buddies know why I am flailing about and the elbows and bungholes begin as we clammor out of the truck. Well needless to say that rug ran away. Man that was a nice bear.

So after a few weeks I decide to analyze why we couldn't get a good shot off at these bears. I to the conclusion that I need to stop yelling "BEAR". That is pretty much a dead give away and lets the bear know we are indeed looking at him so they decide to skidaddle. Makes since right? Ok I won't yell "BEAR" any more when I see one.

Well, it is now elk season 2012, my bud and I are hunting, of course, what else but elk. This is my second year of having to wear glasses for distance, so it pretty much suuuccckkksssss! When its humid out, and when is it not humid in Oregon, my glasses keep fogging up from the heat comming off my coconut, so they are now perched on top of my forehead like a hood ornament because I have given up on trying to keep them from fogging up. Yeah that no fog crap spray or cream doen't work for long. I am walking up this overgrown road and come around a bend and see this fuzzy black thing sticking out of a green bush. I realize there is a branch with some leaves on it between us and what ever it is has not seen me yet. I take a better look with my binos, well looky there a bear. Ok remember what I said about not yelling "Bear" well I didn't. The next thing I see is the bear in my cross hairs and something goes bang. I don't remember putting my binos down and bringing up my rifle, clicking off the safety. Wow did I just do that? Ok now where did it go? My first thought was oh man the worst thing is to track a wounded bear. If I remember the shot was maybe 65 feet. That was the longest 65 feet I ever walked, took me about 15 minutes. At the time, unknown to me, I did get it right in the neck and it dropped like a rock, but I didn't know that because it was in the bushes. I slowly move forward and finally start to see something on the other side of the bush and behind a log.

Wow, I can't believe it I got a bear, must be a retarted one. Oh well I am happy. Everybody tells me she was about 180 lbs and fish and game says about 10 to 15 years old, the taxidermist is guessing about 17. The kids loved the jerky all 5 lbs are gone, I still have about 5 lbs of pepproni sticks left, I am hoping it will make to Christmas. The rest I had made into sausage and I have never had a meat that had a light sweet taste with very little gameyness to it.

Well hope you enjoyed the story. Now lets see if I can get some pics to down load. Well I tried and its not working. Will try tomorrow.

Well I have tried to up load a few more but just cant seem to get them small enough. The skin measured 5ft 2in from tip of nose to base of tail and the skull was 16 1/8.

bear 1.jpg

bear 1.jpg

Last Edited:
Nice! The first one in a long line I hope. Fall bear are very tasty, spring bear not so much.
This year the kids took three fall bear, I had opportunity's but didn't close the deal, I tend to try and make sure that there are no cubs in the area first and sometimes you don't have that luxury.

Your comment about the bear being out mid day and being surprised that it was there should tell you something I learned a long time ago, bear are a lot like most folks in that they are generally late risers. The vast majority off all bear we have taken were shot from mid day to late afternoon. This isn't due to not being out early, we are, and this is during the general Deer and Elk season. When targeting bear specifically we have adapted to their schedule and tend to see more after 10 AM than before. I believe this is mostly because they are late diurnal with a tendency towards early nocturnal.

In the fall when the sun really starts to warm things up, look to Blackberry patches for the most activity. A good set of binoculars and a spotting scope are your best friends here.

Don't underestimate old Yogi's ability to evade, Their nose rivals, if not bests the Elks.
Use the wind and your chances go way up. Also, never take for granted even a 150 LB. wounded bear as they can be pure poison. Avoid high risk shots such as a "neck shot" and try to place your shot through the vitals while crossing through to the shoulder on the off side.

Give them some time after shooting for the bullet to do it's stuff and approach with caution.
I say this only as a safety measure. Most Bear go down easy, but some don't. We had a close call with a rather large "450-500" pound Boar that went down like a cheap Army cot on impact a few years back that was stone still for 20 minutes until we approached it, then things got rather sporty. Fortunately two quick follow up shots from my son finished his charge before he got to either of us, it happens. The bullet had passed just under and grazed the spine which dropped him on the spot and exited through the left shoulder on a down hill quartering away shot. I'll never forget being on the receiving end of that charge with no more than 25 feet between him and I when my son put him down for good. He measured 6'7" nose to toes and now hibernates as a half mount on my wall.

I enjoy bear hunting as much as any of our other big game species, if not more and am glad you have come to be a bear hunter your own self, as I'm sure you'll be out there yourself now.
Congratulations and enjoy the time and challenge they offer!

John.

Congrats on the bear!

One trick a riding buddy taught me about fogging glasses (no joke). He is a scuba diver and before they go under they spit a little saliva onto their mask and it keeps it from foggy up. I was riding my motorcycle in the rain and having a heck of a time keeping my glasses clear until he told me to try it. Now it seems odd but it really works when on the road (or hunting in your situation). Might not be good in social situations though LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dont really understand the whole bear hunting thing, I have seen a few bears in the woods and thought that it was really cool. if me or mine was endangered by a bear then game on. otherwise I it just looks to me like guys are just showing how manly they are by shooting bears. especially the guys shooting bears from a stand/blind over bait, to me that isnt even hunting, just waiting to shoot.

I dont really understand the whole bear hunting thing, I have seen a few bears in the woods and thought that it was really cool. if me or mine was endangered by a bear then game on. otherwise I it just looks to me like guys are just showing how manly they are by shooting bears. especially the guys shooting bears from a stand/blind over bait, to me that isnt even hunting, just waiting to shoot.

I'm sure there are people who don't understand why we carry guns (open or concealed) and assume its just "guys showing how manly they are"

Just because you don't understand hunting doesn't mean you should insult those who do. I hunt and I use all of the meat for my family . Most of those I talk to that are against hunting aren't vegan ...meat has to come from somewhere and I prefer mine to be organic and free range ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh for christs sake, dont go getting all uppity with me, I have hunted since I was 14 years old. 44 years now, I hunt most of oregons big game when I can get a tag. over the years I have taken and eaten a lot of game. mostly deer, some elk, an antelope or two. the whole concept of hunting is not something that I dont understand. but for the life of me I dont get the bear hunting thing.

SORRY, didnt mean to derail your post!

I'm with DFuller on this one, I like game animals for the flavor, and purity of their meat, all natural, no steroids, fillers, or additives. I like fruits and vegetables too!

For me hunting is less about ego and more of a step back in time. Which is why I look for like minded forums, if I was a vegetarian, I would be on a different forum.

Working 4 u - That was a great bear hunt.
Being in the right place at the right time. You were there and not in front of the tube with a bud and a bag of chips n some wings. You were out hunting and reading about your other adventures lets me in on something else. You are good at it. Congratulations
Try a roast on the grill with a few friends around it is amazing how fast it disappears after the first taste.
Silver Hand

Oh for christs sake, dont go getting all uppity with me, I have hunted since I was 14 years old. 44 years now, I hunt most of oregons big game when I can get a tag. over the years I have taken and eaten a lot of game. mostly deer, some elk, an antelope or two. the whole concept of hunting is not something that I dont understand. but for the life of me I dont get the bear hunting thing.

I've never tried it myself, but they say bear meat makes good eating. If you eat deer & elk, no reason you can't eat bear too.

Sheepdip, for the same reason I hunt every other animal that I do, because they eat real good.
I wont hunt spring bear because the meat isnt near as good, but I wont take a poke at those who choose to do so. I will never hunt behind dogs or over bait yet if its legal for those in other areas then that's their choice, I on the other hand choose a spot and stalk method.
I have an open invite for you my friend, if your down here on the coast of Oregon any time soon, I'd be glad to have you for a dinner of blackberry and apple fed bear steak that has been smoked and BBQ,d or prepared any way you prefer, I believe I could make a bear hunter out of you, but if after tasting the reason I choose to hunt them you still wish not to, well that's your choice. Stay well.
John.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads