JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My first AR is going to be a "home build", I would like some incite.
First, I would like recommendations on books for AR builds.
Second, what tools do I REALLY need for my build?
Third, Any tips, tricks, or stuff NOT to do!

Thanks! :s0155:

I do mine with no tools besides some small punches 3/32 -5/32 and a pair of pliers. That being said you don't need a book. All you need is available online.

You need to figure out your price range. And what you want your AR to do( light carbine, varmint rifle, home defense)

Next make a list of the things you want in your rifle(barrel twist, length, triggers, accessories).

Everyone has their own opinion on how a AR should look and do. So my advise is to not take everyones advise but figure out what's sexy for you.

My first build
Cmmg stripped Lower
DD lpk
Moe stock set
DD quad rail
Surefire 5291 light kit
Bravo company complete upper 16"
Bcm bcg an gun fighter charging handle
GG&G flip rear buis

I chose the BCM because It was the right price and I like the hammer forged barrels and the heavier auto bcg's. Stripped lowers are more your preference than anything. I like the
Cmmg logo and my shop was out of spikes! DD quad rail is a high end rail as well as the lpk. The moe is a cheap set but works well. All in all I put 1200 into this build and love it! Mostly will be used for a CQC situation since I wanted more power/accuracy in the
Home over a handgun/shotgun.

ALL the information you seek is on AR15.Com - Your Firearm Resource. (AR-15, AR-10, M4 Carbine, M16, H&K, SIG, FNH, FAL, AK-47, 50 Cal, M1/M1A, Handgun, Pistol, Training, Hunting, and More!), including several illustrated guides on building your lower.

I built a (mostly) Spike's Tactical AR. I bought the stripped lower from northernbornrebel here on NWFA, <broken link removed>

I ordered the lower parts kit and complete upper from JoeBobOutfitters.com

I used the roll pin punches already mentioned, along with small mallet.

Ive built a few, and its really easy to do a complete build with very basic tools, I use a set of punches, action block, armorers wrench, cheap torque wrench, and a pipe wrench in place of a vise. Lowers dont matter, of the 5 ive had they all have been a good fit for random uppers ive bout off arfcom. I did my first build for around 500$ scrounging parts at pawn shops and ar15.com. lower was 100$ parts kit was 150$ with magpul furniture kit, barrel was 80$ at a crappy little pawn shop, turned out to be a bushy Hbar, bolt carrier was 100$ shipped and I bought a random complete a2 upper for like 50$. runs great.

Izzy,

Here you go. Pretty much will guide you with everything you need to know.

Assemble your own LOWER, UPPER, FREE FLOAT, TRIGGER, GAS BLOCK - Step by step instructions! - AR15.COM

Also, here is one that talks about the difference between the M4 feed ramp or a standard feed ramp. I wondered about this, and this explains it all.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=193

And yet another.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=529121

Good luck. Keep us posted, and let us know what you build. Pic's are a Plus also.

Stay Safe.

I'm sure there are a lot more tips that I haven't even come close to mentioning.

Here is one that talks about the different Twist's.

<broken link removed>

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448114

50923489.jpg

Hope this helps.

Stay Safe.

Mainly, make sure your disconnector has full free movement. That was the only thing that gave me a issue, a out of spec trigger, I had to file some metal off to get 100% reliable function.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top