JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at a couple of options for my first AR. I want something of a plinker, not really a SD/combat gun.

- Oly K16 link - http://jsgunparts.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=3

- Cocktailers Del-Ton in the Heavy config.

Any feedback on either rifle? I've read a bunch of posts about the Del-Ton on Cocktailers thread, all seems to be great. I've not really heard anything about the K16 bull barrel setup from Oly, but it looks like a nice entry-level setup.

All feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

I have heard good things about the Del-Ton and don't have any experience with Oly but have read about a lot of complaints with their quality.

well with a HBAR or bull u'll definitely be focused around plinking with that thing.
I shoot regularly at the police ranges where the officers have warned me that heavy rifles usually get left in the safe while the light ones are the ones usually grabbed. I scoffed, and walked out with my Sig 556. To this day, the lightweight pencil barreled plain jane a2 ar15 is the one I take to the range with me.

If you're not set on .223, i think uppers in <broken link removed> , <broken link removed> , 5.45x39 or 9mm Luger are worth considering.

Mildly corrisive, surplus 7.62x39 can be bought from Centerfire Systems at a steal due to their shipping rates. Imported steel-cased ammo is also cheaper than brass-cased .223 if you know where to find it. C Products makes AR magazines for 7.62x39.

Surplus 7.62x25 is abundant and cheap, as (unfortunately) only a few guns use it. I don't think it's a round you can find on short notice, however.

5.45x39 is the same story as 7.62x25 and it has a reputation for accuracy. For magazines, i read you can adapt .223 magazines, or buy 5.45 magazines for under $15. Ammunition availability depends on importation, gun shows and mail order, however.

9mm Luger is cheap and it's everywhere.

And of course there's .22LR, but it almost feels like you're shooting an airsoft gun.

The reason i shy away from .223 is that it's more expensive if you use brass-cased ammunition, and if you use steel-cased, you may find it impossible to extract after a few rounds of it

have the heavy barrel from cocktailer and it is a great rifle you wont be dissapointed also picked up the ciener 22 kit from 45 glockman on these boards and it perfoms perfectly with good ammo makes for alot of fun plinking

Thank you guys for the feedback. I think I'm leaning towards Cocktailer's Del-Ton. Seems to have a ton of great feedback, though everone I've talked to that owns the Oly K16 loves it.

Seems like the older stuff from Olympic was pretty shady but that their new products have really good quality, or so people are saying.

I personally own a K-16 and love it. I have set it up for tactical use, ML3 Aimpoint sight, single point sling, two stage trigger and flashlight config. I have had people downplay the heavy barrel and I could see how it could be a problem for some but I'm a bit on the bigger size 6-2 225 and don't mind the additional weight. Also accuracy is great with Oly, my other rifle from Oly shot easy sub one inch groups all day. :s0155:

I have both the delton heavy barrel from Coctaler and the Oly K16. bought them both at the same time. The K16 is a bit nose heavy but is my favorite out of the two. I will use it as my coyote gun as it has a Nikon 4X14 coyote special scope on it. so far i have had 0 problems with either gun, both are a good buy.

I personally own a K-16 and love it. I have set it up for tactical use, ML3 Aimpoint sight, single point sling, two stage trigger and flashlight config. I have had people downplay the heavy barrel and I could see how it could be a problem for some but I'm a bit on the bigger size 6-2 225 and don't mind the additional weight. Also accuracy is great with Oly, my other rifle from Oly shot easy sub one inch groups all day. :s0155:

Yeah, I a bigger dude too, so not that worried about the extra few ounces. Thanks for the feedback; how's the finish and quality? How do you think it stacks up against other AR's?

Thanks.

I have both the delton heavy barrel from Coctaler and the Oly K16. bought them both at the same time. The K16 is a bit nose heavy but is my favorite out of the two. I will use it as my coyote gun as it has a Nikon 4X14 coyote special scope on it. so far i have had 0 problems with either gun, both are a good buy.

Do you have the A2 stock on the K16? I was looking at the A2 rather than the M4 style for that reason, maybe feeling a little nose heavy. Also, how's the build quality and finish between the two? Does one stand out as feeling like a more quality rifle?

Thanks.

Its just me, but i use my rifles for target and hunting more than combat and the Oly feels allot more sturdy in my hands. I think the build quality on both are good. I think Oly has fixed all there old problems and now have a nice product. Here is how i have my K16 set up
0218001953-2.jpg
If was going to war i would want a stripped down milspec rifle. There are other rifles out there. but if you are like me the K16 is a good entry level gun that is accurate. I bought the delton for my brother because it was a good deal and i didnt want to spend my time fixing his stuff. but i chose the bull barrel cause it was more my style

Its just me, but i use my rifles for target and hunting more than combat and the Oly feels allot more sturdy in my hands. I think the build quality on both are good. I think Oly has fixed all there old problems and now have a nice product. Here is how i have my K16 set up

If was going to war i would want a stripped down milspec rifle. There are other rifles out there. but if you are like me the K16 is a good entry level gun that is accurate. I bought the delton for my brother because it was a good deal and i didnt want to spend my time fixing his stuff. but i chose the bull barrel cause it was more my style

That is a mean looking setup; exactly what I am looking to do I think. Thanks for all the info, I think you may have swayed me to the K16!

mine is a tack driver. If you search the predator forums they will have good things to say about the K16. good luck. I have not herd a single bad thing about the deltons thats why i bought one so you cant go wrong with either. in my opinion. I just use the K16 more

You can put togeter a top tier AR for less than $900 that will have much better resale value than an Oly or DelTon.

I paid $320 for my LMT lower (PDX Show) & $529 for a complete LMT Upper (weaponsparts.com).

Yeah, I a bigger dude too, so not that worried about the extra few ounces. Thanks for the feedback; how's the finish and quality? How do you think it stacks up against other AR's?

Thanks.

The finish is fine for me, not "Mega" quality but good quality for price... I sighted in my Aimpoint the other day and love this gun more and more each time I shoot it. :cool: I will try to post some pics later today, mine is set up for CQB...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top