JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys finally finished up AR15, seems like forever since I started it but looking back at my purchase history it started June 7th. Serious thanks to @Reno @Five-0 for the advice and to @HA556 for hijacking his thread and @nativeo for the stock in the pay it forward thread.

I added prices which can be crass but I like being able to see what things cost and the variances when looking through old posts. This was by no means a budget build or anything super nice. Just wanted a reliable rifle I could do almost anything with.

Enough rambling. ON TO THE BUILD

Aero stripped upper reciver slick slide $87 (ARSafespace)

Aero Precision 16" 223 Wylde SS $192
Aero Atlas S-One 15" handguard $156
Aero Ultralight SPR $70
spare parts shims, crush washers ECT $7
(Wing Tactical)

Aero gas block and SS gas tube $20
MBUS rear sight $40
(Tick Licker Firearms)

War Sport Top Hat Comp $10
(Peace Geek)

Shim Set from Coat of Arms in Keizer $9

PSA Complete lower w/ EPT Magpul grip $187 (Palmetto State Armory)

PSA Nitride MPI Full Auto BCG $80
(PSA)

Custom Oregon Radian Raptor LT $60
(Oregon Rifleworks)

PSA collapsible stock from @nativeo thanks again man,

MBUS Front and Fubar kit $40
(AT3 Tactical)

Primary Arms slx 1-8x24mm SFP ACSS $390 (Primary Arms)

20200718_162115.jpg

20200718_162159.jpg

20200718_162230_HDR.jpg 20200718_162352_HDR.jpg 20200718_162344.jpg

So with my guesstimating math that's about $1100 for the gun plus $400 for the sight.

Pretty nice build.:cool:

Anything you would have done differently if you could go back and change anything?

Nice job! How does it shoot? I'm really curious about slick side upper receivers and how people feel about having no forward assist? In a worse case scenario I have had occasion to use forward assist. Is this a thing of the past and are these guns so reliable now that forward assist is no longer needed? Granted, I have had to use it rarely but when I needed it I was glad I had it. Interested in others' input and opinion on that? Thanks, and again your rifle looks great...good job!

So with my guesstimating math that's about $1100 for the gun plus $400 for the sight.

Pretty nice build.:cool:

Anything you would have done differently if you could go back and change anything?

Yeah I think I told the wife $1250 for everything. I haven't shot it yet or any AR so I don't know what I would do different function wise. I enjoyed putting it together and getting small custom things for it that would have cost me later rather than just doing it myself now. I basically fell in love with the Atlas S-one and built from there lol

I have a flash hider and pistol brace leftover from this build, excuse to start another right?

I already want something shorter barrelled for the wife and and daughter so perhaps that will be next.

Nice job! How does it shoot? I'm really curious about slick side upper receivers and how people feel about having no forward assist? In a worse case scenario I have had occasion to use forward assist. Is this a thing of the past and are these guns so reliable now that forward assist is no longer needed? Granted, I have had to use it rarely but when I needed it I was glad I had it. Interested in others' input and opinion on that? Thanks, and again your rifle looks great...good job!

I haven't shot it yet but after asking around to different people, the forward assist was mostly seen too much for the modern rifle and civilian shooter. If you were in the military and shooting in sandy bad conditions all the time then a FA would be more beneficial but with technology getting better and specs getting tighter it is my understanding that the FA is no longer a necessity for the majority of shooters.

YMMV, this is what my research and chatting has revealed

That is a sweet looking build! Hope it brings you many hours of shooting pleasure and range time. Yep, they're like Lays, you can't only build just one!:D

Nice build. If you are anything like me you will change your mind on something. I always do.
@BrandonOR Looks like ALG trigger? If so, I really like mine. Also, it aint over. This is addictive, just like Legos when I was a kid. Do share the next build too...........

Without a QD scope mount, I wouldn't bother with the BUIS.

Other than that, put a light on it and get a sling and practice.

Edit: As you use that scope more, you'll find you could greatly appreciate a throw lever. Check out MK machining.

I wasnt gonna say it, but I do agree about the back up sights. Now if this was a tool of my trade, I might think otherwise? If my scope breaks, I just go back to my truck and switch guns.

I wasnt gonna say it, but I do agree about the back up sights. Now if this was a tool of my trade, I might think otherwise? If my scope breaks, I just go back to my truck and switch guns.

My point being, unless OP is carrying around a star drive allen wrench with him, the BUIS are completely unusable.

Without a QD scope mount, I wouldn't bother with the BUIS.

Other than that, put a light on it and get a sling and practice.

Edit: As you use that scope more, you'll find you could greatly appreciate a throw lever. Check out MK machining.

Yeah, agreed on the mbuis, really Bulks it up.

I think I've decided on a Vickers sling, I like simple, functional and that seems to fit the bill.

I've never really considered a light, what are you guys all running?

Yeah, agreed on the mbuis, really Bulks it up.

I think I've decided on a Vickers sling, I like simple, functional and that seems to fit the bill.

I've never really considered a light, what are you guys all running?

Without trying to sound like a pompous know it all:

The functionality of your rifle build is already well on its way there, it's just currently limited in how adapted it is for certain situations, at 1x the PA 1x8 scope could very easily be used quite well in a defensive manner and being able to go up to 8x lends itself heavily toward the every American a rifleman concept, or just more accurate shooting at distances which is fun all by itself. My earlier comment about the BUIS is regarding their functionality as your rifle currently is accessorized - currently you can't use them at all without removing your scope which isn't QD mounted so literally you can not even use the BUIS whatsoever unless you take the time with a star drive to remove the scope which pretty much entirely negates the point of BUIS.

This seems like a new journey/area for you so there's nothing wrong with learning along the way. I've learned a great deal in the past 10 years about AR's than when I was a new owner.

Two easy ways to remedy the BUIS dilemma. 1) offset BUIS - super slick, don't need to take the scope off to be able to use them. Magpul makes some great ones but there are cheaper options 2) QD scope mount so the scope can be quickly and easily removed without tools to allow traditional BUIS to be used. Although not mandatory, I personally have BUIS on any rifle I would prefer to pick up and defend with.

As far as slings go, in a pinch, I could use a few shoe laces tied together, but since I can plan my gear. I like the magpul QD options because my preferred rifle set up has front and rear QD points and I can make my sling a 1 point or a 2 point on the rifle depending on what I am doing.

In terms of the light. Simply put, if this rifle is ever going to be something you consider picking up to use defensively, a light is a must because it will allow target identification, you don't want to shoot into the dark blindly. My preferred rifle light is a streamlight protac 1A - (if I have the retail name correct) - this light allowd either AA or CR123. batteries to be used and is programmable for low, high and strobe. It comes with a touch pad and everything needed to mount to the rifle except a picatinny mount for your hand-guard. You can get those off amazon for about $8 for a two pack. You only need 1 to mount the light. Another option are Inforce, but I prefer lights that have a AA option because I view CR123 as too niche to have to completely rely on. If batteries started to become hard to get, AA is far more prevalent.

Everything I like I have found to make me a better/faster user of the AR system or expand the effectiveness into scenarios that I could use it in.

The other features I prefer because I have found them to improve the system are as follows:

MK machining throw lever - rapid magnification changes on the scope, can be done with 1 finger.

Magpul BAD lever - demonstrably faster reload speeds compared to using the paddle.

BCM Kinesthetic grip - it's significantly improves the support hands ability to stabilize the rifle without relying on squeezing the hand guard.

Edit: more importantly than having a rifle with a ton of cool stuff attached to it though is training. A guy who has trained well to strong proficiency with a stock Iron sight AR is more capable than a guy who bought the latest and greatest accessories but barely knows how to use it due to lack of training.

Last Edited:
Without trying to sound like a pompous know it all:

The functionality of your rifle build is already well on its way there, it's just currently limited in how adapted it is for certain situations, at 1x the PA 1x8 scope could very easily be used quite well in a defensive manner and being able to go up to 8x lends itself heavily toward the every American a rifleman concept, or just more accurate shooting at distances which is fun all by itself. My earlier comment about the BUIS is regarding their functionality as your rifle currently is accessorized - currently you can't use them at all without removing your scope which isn't QD mounted so literally you can not even use the BUIS whatsoever unless you take the time with a star drive to remove the scope which pretty much entirely negates the point of BUIS.

This seems like a new journey/area for you so there's nothing wrong with learning along the way. I've learned a great deal in the past 10 years about AR's than when I was a new owner.

Two easy ways to remedy the BUIS dilemma. 1) offset BUIS - super slick, don't need to take the scope off to be able to use them. Magpul makes some great ones but there are cheaper options 2) QD scope mount so the scope can be quickly and easily removed without tools to allow traditional BUIS to be used. Although not mandatory, I personally have BUIS on any rifle I would prefer to pick up and defend with.

As far as slings go, in a pinch, I could use a few shoe laces tied together, but since I can plan my gear. I like the magpul QD options because my preferred rifle set up has front and rear QD points and I can make my sling a 1 point or a 2 point on the rifle depending on what I am doing.

In terms of the light. Simply put, if this rifle is ever going to be something you consider picking up to use defensively, a light is a must because it will allow target identification, you don't want to shoot into the dark blindly. My preferred rifle light is a streamlight protac 1A - (if I have the retail name correct) - this light allowd either AA or CR123. batteries to be used and is programmable for low, high and strobe. It comes with a touch pad and everything needed to mount to the rifle except a picatinny mount for your hand-guard. You can get those off amazon for about $8 for a two pack. You only need 1 to mount the light. Another option are Inforce, but I prefer lights that have a AA option because I view CR123 as too niche to have to completely rely on. If batteries started to become hard to get, AA is far more prevalent.

Everything I like I have found to make me a better/faster user of the AR system or expand the effectiveness into scenarios that I could use it in.

The other features I prefer because I have found them to improve the system are as follows:

MK machining throw lever - rapid magnification changes on the scope, can be done with 1 finger.

Magpul BAD lever - demonstrably faster reload speeds compared to using the paddle.

BCM Kinesthetic grip - it's significantly improves the support hands ability to stabilize the rifle without relying on squeezing the hand guard.

Edit: more importantly than having a rifle with a ton of cool stuff attached to it though is training. A guy who has trained well to strong proficiency with a stock Iron sight AR is more capable than a guy who bought the latest and greatest accessories but barely knows how to use it due to lack of training.

Not pompous at all. The buis with the non qd mount is something that makes ridiculous sense once said but didn't register to someone who is brand new. The idea of back up sights is great but you're on not having a star screwdriver when you're in a tough spot where your scope breaks or what not. I do keep one in my range toolbox

Definitely agree to tuning the rifles accessories according to use, my first rifle training was project Appleseed and I found I really enjoyed using a sling, I like the tight support it offers, with no(or different) buis I'll have room on the end of the barrel for a light without bulking it out.

I took it to the range yesterday and put hundred or so rounds through it.

ITS AWESOME. Had a couple fail to feed issues but only with one PMAG, once I switched to a different one I had 0 issues the rest of time. Is this a known issue or was it user error in loading? Did I get a bad pmag?

Next trip I'll have a little more time, I want to get the scope dialed in on the main range.

Not pompous at all. The buis with the non qd mount is something that makes ridiculous sense once said but didn't register to someone who is brand new. The idea of back up sights is great but you're on not having a star screwdriver when you're in a tough spot where your scope breaks or what not. I do keep one in my range toolbox

Definitely agree to tuning the rifles accessories according to use, my first rifle training was project Appleseed and I found I really enjoyed using a sling, I like the tight support it offers, with no(or different) buis I'll have room on the end of the barrel for a light without bulking it out.

I took it to the range yesterday and put hundred or so rounds through it.

ITS AWESOME. Had a couple fail to feed issues but only with one PMAG, once I switched to a different one I had 0 issues the rest of time. Is this a known issue or was it user error in loading? Did I get a bad pmag?

Next trip I'll have a little more time, I want to get the scope dialed in on the main range.

Too many variables to say if it was a bad Pmag or not from 1 trip. I'd mark that mag with some tape and continue to use it at the range and see if that problem continues. Since it was a brand new rifle, metal on metal moving parts can sometimes need a little break in time before they are as smooth as they can be, if some of the ammo wasn't loaded as hot as the others, that could have been the case, I'd say continue to test it through multiple trips and if it consistently is that mag, them contact magpul for a replacement.

In terms of a bulky unwieldily rifle, if you start throwing a bunch of crap on it then it will become a burden, but a light hardly adds any bulk and you can decide whether 3 or 9 is your preference.

Here's the front end of a 16" Palmetto rifle:

A3D15217-E46B-4070-B101-86890ACDF8B3.jpeg

One thing comes to mind as I read about your first outing with the new build. How well are the moving parts lubricated? When I buy/build a new firearm just before I take it out the first time I like to disassemble it and make sure it is well lubricated. Like said before new guns/parts can require a little break in. I try to keep my stuff really lubed up and clean after every outing, especially when they are brand new. After all the "high spots" are knocked off, I think a little lighter maybe less lube is required? I love this stuff called "GunButter" it is easy to apply with the needle type applicator and penetrates well. Do some reading on barrel break in also, then chose your method. I think there is something to be gained there, but everyone has their own ideas on that. Enjoy!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top