JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all, This is my first post and I figured I should probably make it a good one.

My taxes are coming in mid next month and Ill be getting my first 1911 with part of it. I'm trying to do my homework and figure out the best place to get my 1911

I had my heart set on a Springfield GI but somehow I don't think that's going to happen considering no one has them in stock and even if I can find one it'll be out of my $600.00ish price range.

Ideally Id like to pick up my gun, 4 or 5 boxes of ammo, and pay to get my CHL but I think to keep within my price range for now Ill stick to the gun and ammo.

Im currently set on the Rock Island 1911 GI
<broken link removed>

Ive always been a huge fan of the simple Government model without the bells and whistles just because of the fluid lines and perfection of the design. and from the reviews I have read and the people I have talked to it seems I cant go wrong with the RIA.

Can any of you lay out some personal experiences or preferences as to the performance of this gun and where best to purchase one?

Thanks in advance

Back in the 80's when Wilsons and the like were all the craze, everyone wanted one, or one that had the same features. But those features cost money that some couldn't afford.

So the makers responded and came out with models that 'look' like the higher priced models, but the quality is no where near the same. There's a reason why these models cost less...It's called quality, or lack thereof.

Corners have to be cut somewhere to keep the cost down. Don't let the bells, whistles and fancy paint fool you...look under the hood, that's where it counts.

Go for it!!! I have several 1911's, Kimber, Dan wesson, RIA to name a few. I enjoy shooting them all. My $380 RIA GI model i've hade for over a year with hundreds of rounds through it and not any problems. The finish is very good although not as nice as some of my others. It shoots every bit as good as the $1,000 guns. It's also as tight and accurate as the others. Please do your research at 1911.org, there you will find more than you will ever need and you will see their customer service is the best in the business. My next 1911 will be a RIA compact size tactical model. I've done a complete teardown and the internals fit and look as great. Sure, there are those who will tell you if it's not a Colt it's junk. But I'll take them shooting any day of the week. I find the best price from Bellshire Hardware at gunbroker.com

+! on Bellshire. I got my RIA Tactical from them to my door in 3 days. Just ordered a RIA 1911 compact from them as well.
Go for it!!! I have several 1911's, Kimber, Dan wesson, RIA to name a few. I enjoy shooting them all. My $380 RIA GI model i've hade for over a year with hundreds of rounds through it and not any problems. The finish is very good although not as nice as some of my others. It shoots every bit as good as the $1,000 guns. It's also as tight and accurate as the others. Please do your research at 1911.org, there you will find more than you will ever need and you will see their customer service is the best in the business. My next 1911 will be a RIA compact size tactical model. I've done a complete teardown and the internals fit and look as great. Sure, there are those who will tell you if it's not a Colt it's junk. But I'll take them shooting any day of the week. I find the best price from Bellshire Hardware at gunbroker.com

Thanks for the responses, am I to understand I should go online and not look locally then? If I was to look locally who would be best to go with? also to those of you talking about it coming to your door, did you not have to go through an FFL or how does that work?

I don't want bells and whistles, I prefer to go with a plain Jane combat pistol. As it is I have always preferred the look of the government model so the GI fits the bill nicely.

Yeah, to my door technically means my FFL's door. Delivered via UPS to his door 3 days after i paid, :)
Thanks for the responses, am I to understand I should go online and not look locally then? If I was to look locally who would be best to go with? also to those of you talking about it coming to your door, did you not have to go through an FFL or how does that work?

I don't want bells and whistles, I prefer to go with a plain Jane combat pistol. As it is I have always preferred the look of the government model so the GI fits the bill nicely.

thanks all, its appreciated.

Does anyone know if KEITHS is a good place to go to pick one of these up? are they high priced or about right?

thanks again

In my experience you aren't going to find them locally for any savings over buying online and having it shipped to your FFL. When I bought my RIA over a year ago the best price I could find locally was still $50 more than online. I paid it anyway because I didn't want to wait even a few days. I actually got rid of a Kimber Stainless II because I liked my RIA a lot more and it was simpler on teardown.

-Brian

thanks all, its appreciated.

Does anyone know if KEITHS is a good place to go to pick one of these up? are they high priced or about right?

thanks again

Was at keiths a week ago and they had 1 Springfield GI 1911 In stock, Cant remember the price, but I want to say it was fair. Dont know if they still have it or had more then one. Goodluck! :s0155:

Thanks to the good ol' IRS I was able to purchase my new RIA 1911 today (amongst other things. :D) Shes so pretty and just screaming for my to put a few mags through her...

I ended up settling on 429.00 and bought a box of gold dot HPs and two boxes of Wolf FMJs.

here's a few pics...

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

I think Ill call her Roxy...

Heh, that is exactly what I have, I even picked up the same aftermarket grips.

Only difference is I am currently tossing a storm lake barrel into it. Its a solid shooter, and definitely shoots/works as reliably/well/accurately as a gun twice its price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top