Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My first 1911 w/ pics

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by datruth, Jan 9, 2011.

1. datruth

datruth Tacoma New Member

This is my first custom gun and first review post(not a professional photographer, so bare with me). This gun started out as a nasty, rattle trap, primer gray Springfield Mil Spec, It was not to appealing at all but when it came into the store , I knew I had to have it as a base fro my first custom/carry gun. The work was done by Dave Nielson at Southridge Arms,http://southridgearms.net/, a Washington-based company that specializes in custom 1911 pistols, KG GunKote finishes, and parkerization. I have known dave for about three years now and he has also refinished a glock 20 I had as well, He is truly a professional,a perfectionist and Genuine good guy, with an impeccable attention to detail. After receiving it back all i can say is"amazing". This gun looks nothing like the gun I gave him, it looks and feels like a new firearm. The work done included:Front cocking serrations added, dovetail and novak cut for trijicon front night sight and 10-8 rear,cut and blended ed brown grip safety, swapped most of the internals with ed brown,hammer,sear,disconnecter, installed an ed brown extractor ,that was properly tensioned and checkered, which was a very nice touch, fitted an oversized wilson firing pin stop and fitted and flush cut an ed brown extended slide lock. Flared and lowered ejection port, polished barrel and feed ramp, fitted a kart national match barrel bushing, installed and tuned my 10-8 flat trigger to an incredibly crisp break at 3.75 pounds.The front and back straps are what really impressed me. When I dropped the gun off, I told dave that I wanted simple serrations on the front and back strap.He gave me a rough sketch, and i left it in his hands, well, he took it a step further, he cut front strap serrations that feel great in the hand mind you and machined his own mainspring housing with serrations as well, but here is the impressive/innovative part, he cut the front and rear to oppose each other, upward serrations in the front and downward on the mainspring housing, something i have never seen before on any other 1911, and would have never thought of. Finished the gun out with a complete dehorn, my initials above the thumb safety on the slide, my personal touch, and a set of VZ grips with Stainless steel grip screws. Im so impressed with his work, i plan on sending him another 1911, that i will "actually" carry and leave this one off the range a while. I cant Say enough about Southridge's work on this gun, just wanted to say thanks to Dave and Mike at Southridge, now pics

0013.jpg
    052-1.jpg
    0162.jpg
    0142.jpg
    0123.jpg
    044.jpg
    0282.jpg
    033.jpg

targets where shot at seven & and ten yards off hand respectively, rather mediocre shooting for it being cold, rainy and kinda rushed but it will do.
    ammo:230 grain Magtech FMJ

2. powermad

powermad Portland Active Member

That looks real nice. :thumbup:

3. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

Nice one datruth! You're not kidding, those Southridge fellas do great looking work. My 1911 cravings just got stronger :D

4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Nice.

5. PinkhamR

PinkhamR Altus, Oklahoma MSgt, USAF (Retired)-FFL Lifetime Supporter

Very Nice ..... you should post it on the 1911 thread ..... :)

6. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Pretty cool, very additive platform.

7. mistershipwreck

mistershipwreck Beretta City, Texas Member

Really sweet looking 1911!

8. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

Good 'un!

9. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

The slide stop pin is really nice, how its seated and all, very clean piece