JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At the family 4th of July BBQ I gave my father inlaw a WW2 M1 bayonet picked up in a trade (although I had a hard time parting with it :)). He collects that kind of stuff so I he would appriciate the gift.
Back when he was in the Corps he used the M1 and loved it but it was HEAVY and way to heavy to hunt with at his age but he still really wants one.
So I mentioned to him the CMP and he kinda hummed and hawed about it and mentioned that he was thinking about having our local gunsmith find one for him (I figure the gunsmith will just get an M1 from the CMP as well).
So, my questions are this: whats a good source for an M1? What do we look for when buying an M1? What is the price of a SHOOTER M1?

Since Im unfamiliar with shooting or owning an M1 I just would like to know what to look for and helping him find a nice M1 for a decent price. I imagine that even a modern M1 would work if the price was right.
The only thing that wont work is a Commie remake. He spent several days in a hot tank in Cuba during "the bay of pigs" and remembers it well...

Any advise is appriciated.
Thanks

Order a CMP service grade Garand. Around $600. If you find anything local odds are it's a cmp with $200 tacked on the price.

My last Garand I wanted a really good shooter. I looked at several different rifles that Garand mechanics build, kinda stepped back from those prices. I got lucky and found a guy selling a <broken link removed> he had run about 200 rounds through. It was near $900 by time I got it in my hands but well worth it, it's double that today.

It doesn't have any mil-surp history but it sure shoots good.

garand02.jpg

garand02.jpg

Keep in mind that there are requirements before you can order a Rifle from CMP. Go to their web site and see if you qualify.

Also M1 are extremely picky about the ammo they will opperate properly with. High pressure rounds will bend the actuating rod. Best to stick with ammo loaded to the same pressures as M2 ball ammo.

M1's are not hard to find local gun shows the on line auction sites and the afor mentioned CMP are all good sources as is watching the classifeds on various gun forums.

I see them for sale from $800 to 1200.00 commonly.

M1 Garands are great rifles...only 30 or so parts (compared to about 120 for a typical AR)...incredibly reliable and very accurate for a service rifle. They're no more "picky" about ammo than any other semi-auto rifle (if it cycles the action, you're good to go). There are lots of proven load recipes than can accurately shoot to 600 yds+ with no damage to the operating rod...if you don't believe that, the national matches at Camp Perry (I think they're happening right now as a matter of fact) will attest to this year after year. Overpressure ammo will damage ANY rifle given time.

They also don't scream "scary black assault weapon," but are just as deadly.

CMP is the way to purchase if you're eligible. Service grade M1's are currently $650 including shipment (to your door, no FFL required) I just picked up a .308 version and I love it...and it shares my reloads with an M1A.

I don't think its responsible to disregard warnings about shooting only ammo designed to meet the M1 Garands requirements. Granted if you install an adjustable gas valve you can shoot most anything. If you don't you can bend the operating rod and end up with a club.

Do a quick internet search for ammo problems with M1 Garands.

My club had a raffle and the guy who the M-1 is 86. He kept the rifle as a keepsake and reminder of what was happening when he was young.
I want one, but the price is a stopper.

I don't think its responsible to disregard warnings about shooting only ammo designed to meet the M1 Garands requirements. Granted if you install an adjustable gas valve you can shoot most anything. If you don't you can bend the operating rod and end up with a club.

Do a quick internet search for ammo problems with M1 Garands.

I never said you could shoot whatever you want out of it,. I was disputing your assertion that the Garand is a picky eater, which it is not...in fact, the cheapest ammo (milsurp) is generally the best ammo for a Garand. I also said that any rifle can be damaged by the repetitive use of overpowered ammo...that fact is obvious, but if you're not satisfied with accuracy out to 600+ yds and think you need something hotter....well, then maybe you deserve to suffer a bent oprod to teach you a lesson.

Here's my tale of woe.
I was first one in at an estate sale a while back, and my main focus was the 1944 Mossberg .22 military trainer that was offered for $100.00.
Sitting next to it was two CMP M1 collector grade rifles for $500.00 each. They were still in their wrappers and boxes from shipping.
They were purchased many years ago and never shot.
At that time I didn't know anything about M1's and I was very hesitant to plunk down that kind of money, plus, my wife was standing next to me and was giving me that look.
And to make this even better, there was a couple of unopened vintage wooden crates that held two spam cans of ammo for the M1's. They were marked at $100.00 each.
Lesson learned, go to estate sales without wife and lots more money in pocket when guns are listed.

Here's my tale of woe.
I was first one in at an estate sale a while back, and my main focus was the 1944 Mossberg .22 military trainer that was offered for $100.00.
Sitting next to it was two CMP M1 collector grade rifles for $500.00 each. They were still in their wrappers and boxes from shipping.
They were purchased many years ago and never shot.
At that time I didn't know anything about M1's and I was very hesitant to plunk down that kind of money, plus, my wife was standing next to me and was giving me that look.
And to make this even better, there was a couple of unopened vintage wooden crates that held two spam cans of ammo for the M1's. They were marked at $100.00 each.
Lesson learned, go to estate sales without wife and lots more money in pocket when guns are listed.

OUCH! Those collector's grade M1's are worth at least $3K each nowadays...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top