JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For what it was worth I wrote our beloved Senator Merkley (several times) regarding our more beloved second amendment.

Here was his reply followed by my response back to him:

--- On Sun, 4/28/13, Senator Jeff Merkley <[email protected]> wrote:

Subject: In response to your email about gun control legislation
To: [email protected]
Date: Sunday, April 28, 2013, 3:27 PM

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views on legislation to reduce gun violence. As Oregonians, we have experienced more than enough gun violence and this issue hits close to home for many of us. And yet many Oregonians cherish their guns and want to ensure that they continue to have the right to use them safely. I appreciate knowing the thoughts of Oregonians on all sides of this complex issue.

As you probably know, the Senate recently debated the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act (S.649), a bill that I have supported as a strong effort to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and reduce gun violence without impinging on the Second Amendment. The bill's main thrust is to close loopholes in the background check system, including the gun-show loophole. Oregon closed the gun-show loophole years ago, so this is consistent with choices we have made. I believe strongly that the most basic protection we can provide is to do a better job keeping guns out of the hands of criminals and people with serious mental illnesses who may pose a threat to themselves and others. The bill also includes provisions strengthening criminal penalties for people who conduct "straw purchases" on behalf of others in order to evade background checks.

During the debate of the bill, the Senate also considered amendments on a number of other provisions. I supported restrictions on large ammunition magazines, which are not needed for hunting or target shooting, but have been used in many mass shootings, and on military-style assault weapons. I also voted in favor of a bipartisan amendment to improve the mental health system and an amendment by Senator Barrasso (R-WY) to stop states from publicly disclosing personal information about people with gun permits.

I recognize that Oregonians come down in very different places on some of these policy choices. I come from rural Oregon and recognize the importance of hunting, target shooting, and gun collecting in many communities. I am committed to protecting the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to own guns. As a parent and a policymaker, I also feel a strong responsibility to take meaningful action to reduce the gun deaths and injuries that plague our country and to keep kids safe. We need to do what we can to prevent the horror of Newtown and Clackamas Town Center and so many other tragedies from happening again. I believe S. 649 meets both of those priorities.

Work on the bill was suspended after it became clear that it lacked the supermajority of 60 votes to overcome a filibuster. If the Senate returns to this topic, I will certainly keep your views in mind. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me.

All my best,

Jeff Merkley
United States Senate

Sir,

Thank you for your reply.

In light of your attempt to limit magazine size I am now convinced you do not support nor do you defend the Constitution as you have sworn to. It is not my place to try to teach you the Constitution either, Having said that I am going to do all I can to give you an opportunity to find another job.

Thanks again,

James ________
Eugene Oregon

Merkley is a dullard that does and says what his handlers tell him to. Frankly, he is an embarrassment, and I would oppose him even if he were a member of my own party.

I got the same version of a reply. I pretty much stopped reading when he went with "large ammunition magazines, which are not needed for hunting or target shooting"......really?......I am pretty sure he knows very little about either!!!.......we need to vote this commie libtard out of office.....its that simple.....

I like to pose a question to people that feel that limiting magazine size should be OK, and that is this; Would you also be OK limiting the 1st amendment to 100 words? You can have the freedom to say WHATEVER you want, be it written, spoken, or whatever, but it has to be done in less than 100 words. You also have the freedom of assembly, but only if it's less than 100 people. Sounds kinda stupid now doesnt it...... But it is essentially the same thing.

I like to pose a question to people that feel that limiting magazine size should be OK, and that is this; Would you also be OK limiting the 1st amendment to 100 words? You can have the freedom to say WHATEVER you want, be it written, spoken, or whatever, but it has to be done in less than 100 words. You also have the freedom of assembly, but only if it's less than 100 people. Sounds kinda stupid now doesnt it...... But it is essentially the same thing.

And to follow in that line of reasoning.....
Perhaps it's time we put some limits on the free practice of ones religion? The Muslims seems to be the source of quite a few issues in America AND the world these days. We could disallow the practice of the Muslim religion in the US.

I mean, if saves one child, right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top