JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had DirecTV here today installing an additional line and DVR in my son's room. He struck me as a bit odd for a cable installer since he was clean and presented himself as very put together :) While he was here he saw my case to my Springer XD-40SC sitting by the coffee table downstairs (I had cleaned and lubed the gun this morning). He said "Which Springer is that?" When I told him he raised his shirt and said "I carry the XD-9SC." You never know who is going to be carrying these days.

It brings up the question as to whether or not you care if contractors or repair men carry into your home. I personally do not. I figure if it is concealed it is concealed and I assume they will not be waving it around or doing anything unsafe with it.

Don't ask don't tell is Oregon's policy regarding concealed carry on private property. It only becomes trespassing if someone asks you to leave and you don't. No-gun signs on stores and malls don't mean diddly squat. I don't know about Washington... though I should probably familiarize myself with WA CCW laws since I've got a WA permit and carry there now.

Personally I'm for arming as many law-abiding citizens as possible and I definitely won't be complaining about people carrying in my house. A guy I specifically called and asked to come repair/install something probably isn't out to rob me after all. It would be a pretty terrible business model from any perspective. :s0114: Waving it around or being generally unsafe is another matter entirely though... :)

As someone who has had jobs in the past where you have to enter the home of someone you have never met and know nothing about I would hope that having some kind of personal defense measure would be the norm not the exception whether that be a stun gun, pepper spray or CCW

I have no problem with law abiding CC in my house. I too have had a job where I went into strangers homes and carried CC. Dogs usually were more threatening than owners though.
However, I've read that delivery and home instalation can be a great way to find future potential burgalry victims. I NEVER leave any evidence of firearms out for stangers to see in my home.
But then, I'm also paranoid enough to favor take-down and collapsable long-guns. That way I can carry them to and from the house in containers that don't scream, "Break into this house!".

I had DirecTV here today installing an additional line and DVR in my son's room. He struck me as a bit odd for a cable installer since he was clean and presented himself as very put together :) While he was here he saw my case to my Springer XD-40SC sitting by the coffee table downstairs (I had cleaned and lubed the gun this morning). He said "Which Springer is that?" When I told him he raised his shirt and said "I carry the XD-9SC." You never know who is going to be carrying these days.

It brings up the question as to whether or not you care if contractors or repair men carry into your home. I personally do not. I figure if it is concealed it is concealed and I assume they will not be waving it around or doing anything unsafe with it.

In my opinion this guy is an idiot.... you dont just go flash your gun in other peoples houses, even if they are gun owners...

I may as well as walk up to people at gun stores and sporting good stores and say hey look at My glock 30! and lift up my shirt... maybe even one of them will shoot me..

Thats a person that doesn't need a CHL

If i wanna talk guns I'll talk guns... but flashing your gun while your a guest in some ones house youv never met is stupid... but thats just me.. if I know you Sure pack in my house.... if i dont you better not tell me you are..

I tend to agree with glockguy on this one. I don't care if the guy is carrying in my house, but showing it in that regard is not something I'd want in my house.

Another Question... Since you dont care if a contractor carries concealed in your home and you assume they will not be waving it around or doing anything unsafe with it...

Would you think the same thing if he was not clean and didnt presented himself as very put together??

As Much as I hate to admit it... Not everyone who is carrying a gun can do it legally...

Follow the law, protect yourself, conduct yourself with honor and respect at all times.....carry anything you want, be safe, keep it concealed, have a nice day!

I appreciate your opinion! But you need to keep it simple and just get get to the point! :)

PBP, was there anything in your interactions/conversations that would make this individual feel comfortable showing you his CC?

I don't necessarily have a problem with a CHL holder carrying in casa da Lefty, as i carry into others homes. But i keep that fact to myself. Just curious.

Thanks, Lefty.

Ehhh, he's probably just a little over-eager to make a new gun friend or wanted to bs about guns for a bit. He probably assumed OP would be okay with it since he left a gun lying around his house in plain view. It's not the worst assumption anyone's made. :) Were I in the same situation, I don't think I'd have just flashed it like that, but if people ask about it I don't mind showing them.

being a contractor, i've had to think about this a little. my policy is 100% carry, when clothed... i get up in the morning, put my pants on, put my holster on, press-check my sidearm, and holster it.

i know for a fact that i've carried into people's homes that would have been very, very upset if they knew. screw 'em. it's none of their business what i keep on my body, it's especially none of their business what i keep under my clothing. is it any of their concern if i wear boxers or briefs? what if i go commando? is it any of their business if i carry a pocket knife? what if they're religiously opposed to pocket knives? well where does that leave me with the utility knife in my tool bag?

so on and so forth.

on two different occasions (maybe three? two that i can think of) i've even strapped my pistol TO my toolbelt... the first time was in a really, really bad neighborhood where i'd had some bubblegum stolen from the site over night. it just-so-happened that i already knew the home-owner was adamantly anti-gun, because she was the type to run her mouth all day long and had told me a long sob story about how her late husband had offed himself with a handgun... i didn't care, i wasn't comfortable not carrying. i had a flap holster for my 1911, and the thing probably just looked like power tool to the uninitiated. nobody ever said anything, so i assume nobody noticed.

my rights dont end at your doorstep, or i don't cross your doorstep.

Personally, I would never show a stranger what I am packing, even in a friendly conversation about guns. I would be more than happy to tell him I pack one of those guns, but I think it would be wiser to tell a person that I pack it rather than show the person what I am packing. Now, if the guy asked me, "Oh are you packing that now, Can I See?" Then, since he requested to see it, I would show him. Nonetheless, I just don't think flashing guns to a stranger in their house is ever wise. My 2 cents.

I appreciate your opinion! But you need to keep it simple and just get get to the point! :)

PBP, was there anything in your interactions/conversations that would make this individual feel comfortable showing you his CC?

I don't necessarily have a problem with a CHL holder carrying in casa da Lefty, as i carry into others homes. But i keep that fact to myself. Just curious.

Thanks, Lefty.
Oh yeah, he had plenty of reason to feel comfortable. I shortened the interaction quite a bit so as not to bore people. he was here for well over an hour and a lot of that time was waiting for stuff to upload, calibrate, etc.

I have no problem with people carrying in my home. (Look at my line of work)

Chatting for a while like PP did with the installer, I wouldn't have a problem with him showing the carry method.

I'm not comfy if it get's un-holstered, unless we are talking design stuff, or I want to check it out.

It's not common to go to a jobsite, and discover a fellow "gun brother", and refreshing (I'm sure) to the cable guy to do work in a "brother's" house.

I could easily see how this could easily result in him showing his carry method, and I wouldn't mind a bit.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top