JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went out shooting with a 2 friends of mine today. One of them got a new shotgun that he wanted to try out so we headed out to goat mountain. Great day for shooting.

Since I'm an invalid right now I wasn't able to do any shotgun shooting so we picked a spot that I could sit in a chair and shoot my p22 all morning. I took the opportunity to learn how to shoot with both eyes open. I'm terrible at it so far. I must say, when my eyes focused right it was much better. When they didn't focus right I didn't hit anything! I'm going to continue trying to learn.

After about 250 rounds I decided to try out my beretta 92g vertec. Great fun. After I shot that about 30 times my friend came over and said "here why don't you shoot a real gun". Then he produced from a cardboard box a Hi-point .45. This was my first chance to ever see, feel, try, shoot a hi-point. I'm a pretty objective person so I wanted to give it a chance...

Observations:
It was amazingly ugly. No part of the firearm looked decent.
Magazine appeared to hold the rounds at the wrong angle to match the barrel feed ramp. First round loads were always a problem.
It was very heavy. This was a blessing and hindrance. The added weight virtually removed all the recoil. Holding up a heavy pistol is not conducive to accuracy.
The magazine release on the bottom of the mag is very cumbersome. I would feel VERY unsafe attempting to remove a mag. with a shell in the chamber. Obviously this was done by design to save money.
The trigger felt very heavy. It was sprung very tight. It wasn't smooth which made it tough to be accurate with. I'm accustomed to the sig trigger system so this was like going from a Ferrari to a Yugo but I don't feel that anyone anywhere has ever liked this trigger.
It wasn't accurate. I'm not a great pistol shot but even I could tell it wasn't the gun for me. The sights are fixed so they can't be adjusted. It might shoot straight, but if your sights don't aim you where the barrel is pointed you aren't going to hit anything.
When the last round in the magazine was fired the slide doesn't lock open. Very frustrating.

I guess if you only have $130 to get a pistol to learn with it wouldn't be terrible...

My $0.02

Thanks for the Hi-Point report.
Of all the chatter I have read about the Hi-Point, what you wrote is about the best review of the firearm I have read. I don't mean tat you had the best things to say about it, but you had good details.

I have been looking for a used one so I could test it for myself.
I found a few for $99.00 in Anchorage, but getting them home would have added too much to the price tag.

Borrowed,
In the interest of actual firearms reviews, have you ever fired or tested a Hi-Point .45 pistol? I know a lot of people don't like them, but i know a lot of people haven't fired them.

I have only fired the carbine, but have never fired one of their pistols, so I am interested in your thoughts. What did you not like about the pistol? How did it function? Or, not function? Was it accurate at defensive distances?

I owned a Hi-Point 9mm compact, it was ugly, heavy, bulky, and made of seemingly cheap plastic, however, it did go bang every time, and at 30ft it put the lead right where I was aiming. I thought the sights were amazing, very visible in low light.

However, I sold this gun to a friend, knowing that it would never truly be a carry piece, or a gun that I'd trust my life with (knowing that I have much nicer firearms to protect me.)

My first pistol was a hi point 9mm. It was $119 and shot 9mm(which was cheap). It sometimes has problems loading the first round but never jams and since its so cheap I don't care if i break it, it will be a reason to get a good 9mm pistol so kinda hoping to break it lol. I feed any ammo through, rusted or not(a box of my 9mm got a little wet) and it feed it through just fine! The other good thing is that its SO FREAKING HEAVY its like have a 8+1+1 8 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber and 1 in the hand because if after 9 shots you havn't stopped whatever you are stopping you can throw the gun and have the same stoping force as a 9mm lol.

Overall if you want a pistol and want to know why to spend more than $130 on a pistol buy one? Since owning it I have realized the value in quality more expensive firearms.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top