JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday, I escaped the doom and gloom and went exploring some new to me back roads. Felt great to be able to get away.

I gave my daughter her first lesson in firearm safety, as well taking her first shot. She was afraid at first, and noted she was very surprised by the flash. With more time and practice, I'm hopeful she will become proficient, but for now it's good to start her on this path.

On the way out, I also gave her her first lesson in driving, sitting in my lap. When I was around her age, I had to teach myself how to do both, as no one was around to instruct me. Learning to drive stick by myself was an interesting endeavor, and, just like A Christmas Story warned, I almost did shoot my eye out with a BB gun... that was a lesson learned there.

20210220_152130-01.jpeg

-Robert

Way to start em off. How old is she? I took my daughter for her first shots at 13. She's never really taken to firearms, but I'm just glad she has the experience and when SHTF she'll be able to use one.
I took my youngest daughter shooting around the same age! She liked it but didn't like the S&W 442. Too snappy. I bought her an AR-15 and then political bs, corona and panic buying took place!

Wow, a manual transmission!!!!

That is a rarity in these days. Some would consider them an anti-theft device.

I drove manual until 2016 until the Tacoma became all automatic. I still hate it.

Good on you for getting the kid on the firearms safety and training:)d

Wow, a manual transmission!!!!

That is a rarity in these days. Some would consider them an anti-theft device.

I drove manual until 2016 until the Tacoma became all automatic. I still hate it.

Good on you for getting the kid on the firearms safety and training:)d
Buddy of mine had the option of a stick in the taco in 2019. He chose auto because he is impatient and didn't want to wait for one to be trucked over. He also regrets it. He absolutely hates the shift algorithms. I hate the adaptive cruise that has almost caused a wreck a few times.

Good on you, Macho! Start em young! My dad had me driving a tractor with a manual around 5 years old, shooting a 22 around the same age, driving a big block, lifted bronco with a 4 speed around 7. I now and deeply invested in the 2A hobbies and only have ever owned vehicles with manual trannys.

Way to start em off. How old is she? I took my daughter for her first shots at 13. She's never really taken to firearms, but I'm just glad she has the experience and when SHTF she'll be able to use one.

She'll be 10 soon. Not strong enough to rack the slide, or... maybe she didn't want it enough. But yes, I want her to have the knowledge of how to handle firearms, just in case. Also, she may be able to impart that knowledge and responsibility to her friends.

When I said, "Only point this at something/someone you intend to kill or destroy. Even if it's unloaded." It definitely had an effect on her. I kept it simple, didn't want to overwhelm her right off the bat. I am also amazed at her trigger discipline... can't say the same for the wife!

-Robert

Taught my son on a manual transmission. He's actually thanked me now that he's older.

He wasn't thanking me during the lessons. Hating to "look stupid" is apparently genetic. :rolleyes: :D

Buddy of mine had the option of a stick in the taco in 2019. He chose auto because he is impatient and didn't want to wait for one to be trucked over. He also regrets it. He absolutely hates the shift algorithms. I hate the adaptive cruise that has almost caused a wreck a few times.

Good on you, Macho! Start em young! My dad had me driving a tractor with a manual around 5 years old, shooting a 22 around the same age, driving a big block, lifted bronco with a 4 speed around 7. I now and deeply invested in the 2A hobbies and only have ever owned vehicles with manual tranys.
yeah but once your knees start going bad a auto is pretty heavenly, ive had a couple fun autos just cheap beaters, a Toyota corolla with a broken speedo cable (or rather sensor) to tell the ECU how fast it was going. i think it just used the TPS to tell it when to shift and man the shift points were fantastic! could burry the peddle @ 60 and it would instantly kick into 3rd for a second or two and stay fairly rapped out through the gears. was pretty funny how fast it was for a POS with absolutely no mods.
and my older '69 Pontiac you could adjust the tranny cable on the peddle as well. i love my cheap cars :) i got that thing for $1K

manuals are great for stuff like the snow and offroading. i think about half mine have been manuals (which im forever thankful i learned on one) and the rest autos. both are great if you do your research and understand the dynamics of each.

Yesterday, I escaped the doom and gloom and went exploring some new to me back roads. Felt great to be able to get away.

I gave my daughter her first lesson in firearm safety, as well taking her first shot. She was afraid at first, and noted she was very surprised by the flash. With more time and practice, I'm hopeful she will become proficient, but for now it's good to start her on this path.

On the way out, I also gave her her first lesson in driving, sitting in my lap. When I was around her age, I had to teach myself how to do both, as no one was around to instruct me. Learning to drive stick by myself was an interesting endeavor, and, just like A Christmas Story warned, I almost did shoot my eye out with a BB gun... that was a lesson learned there.

View attachment 830809

-Robert
Other than on here, I dont know you. But you've touched my heart strings. My two daughters are now 34 and 40. They are the best things that have ever happened to me. My wife and I agree that they are the high points in our life. Both my girls learned to drive a stick, a 1986 Bronco, and I still have it. They both
have guns I handed down to them and they enjoy shooting. You're a lucky man with the forever memories you're building. Great post . . . . .

Dad never took me shooting. Started that with high school buddies at probably 17-18, borrowed .22 rabbit hunting. First time driving with dad was after I finished high school drivers ed, at 16, in an early '70s Chevy Caprice with an auto tranny. Dad decided he'd teach me in the '64 Econoline van W/ 3 on the tree. Figure I did pretty good. Driving has always been important to me. Both our cars were sticks. I was driving tote goat and Honda 55 and 90 from probably 13.

yeah but once your knees start going bad a auto is pretty heavenly, ive had a couple fun autos just cheap beaters, a Toyota corolla with a broken speedo cable (or rather sensor) to tell the ECU how fast it was going. i think it just used the TPS to tell it when to shift and man the shift points were fantastic! could burry the peddle @ 60 and it would instantly kick into 3rd for a second or two and stay fairly rapped out through the gears. was pretty funny how fast it was for a POS with absolutely no mods.
and my older '69 Pontiac you could adjust the tranny cable on the peddle as well. i love my cheap cars :) i got that thing for $1K

manuals are great for stuff like the snow and offroading. i think about half mine have been manuals (which im forever thankful i learned on one) and the rest autos. both are great if you do your research and understand the dynamics of each.

I'm heavily anti-automatic transmission. I havnt found one that does anything better for them and a stick and doesn't piss me off! The new ones tend to annoy me by the fact they cannot figure what gear they need to be in. My buddies taco just endlessly shifts around. It's annoying just as a passenger!

Ill be in the bad knees camp soon. Not even 30 and they ache. High impact lifestyle. A while back, in college, I damaged my left knee. Pretty sure I broke the kneecap but I didn't have it looked at. Had to drive from CRR to a little south of Sunriver that day in a stick and then down to Klamath for school the next day. Hobbled around for a while but it wasn't terrible driving a stick with a busted knee. Would have been a lot worse if there was more traffic I'm sure.

My last beater was $500, a 5 speed and even had working cruise and AC! Just ignore the fart can and drug dealer tint! I've since moved to vehicles I actually like. My next beater will be a free Datsun 720 with a kubota diesel swap. Just havnt gotten a chance to go get the truck and motor yet.

Other than on here, I dont know you. But you've touched my heart strings. My two daughters are now 34 and 40. They are the best things that have ever happened to me. My wife and I agree that they are the high points in our life. Both my girls learned to drive a stick, a 1986 Bronco, and I still have it. They both
have guns I handed down to them and they enjoy shooting. You're a lucky man with the forever memories you're building. Great post . . . . .

Thank you. I am very grateful, and know first hand about how different life could be. I am a firm believer that we need to pay more attention to the next generation, without guidance and direction, many end up aimless (puns intended). I hope to give my daughter a good foundation of knowledge, or at the very least awareness, so that she is able to make informed decisions and better choices for her life. It sounds like your intentions with your daughters is the same.

On that note, since I was a teen, I've been volunteering for various youth organizations. From what I've learned, all those kids, from kindergartners to teens, are hungry for attention. They long to be acknowledged, to feel like they matter, and to know can make a difference. Not everyone is as determined (aka stubborn) as I am to teach themselves, so I help where I can, but mostly I just listen and answer questions.

-Robert

From what I've learned, all those kids, from kindergartners to teens, are hungry for attention. They long to be acknowledged, to feel like they matter, and to know can make a difference.

<A thousand words never quite making the point as well as the above quote. Deleted.>

Truer words were never spoken.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads