JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On the contrary, you going shooting with him might be the best thing for him. Will give him some hands on experience and you can give a few words of wisdom. He may have to protect your life with that gun one day, so you want him to be as confident as possible if the time ever comes.
"He may have to protect your life with that gun one day"

Especially true when the TVs start to attack:)

This stuck a nerve. I've known somebody that had 2 accidental firing of a gun in the house. Both times shot a hole in the house and both times lucky nobody hurt. Both times, thought it was unloaded. And the person is a drinker and take meds.
Here's a lesson, don't play with guns in the house. Especially while drinking and medicating.

Back in my Navy days, we had a guy get bored on the mid-watch security detail at our HQ building in Subic.

Started playing with his 1911, shot a filing cabinet. Pretty much the end of that military career.

You can't fix stupid....

My bud was pretty shaken up, but still.

Its not something you can just say oops my bad, then pretend like nothing happened.
Is he shook up or is he trying to ignore it now?
Nobody got hurt, hes still a gun owner and needs a mentor more than ever. Tell him to take a professional basic safety class as penance and go from there.

I had a pistol accidently fire inside one time. The bullet accidently demolished a pack rat that had been successfully evading my traps. They are sort of cute until they meet head on with a 155gr HST.

Did you "Elvis" your TV ?
I would have Elvis'd my TV too if they were playing this on the channel.

1664736212540.png

This is a learning opportunity you may have messed up. You reacted by yelling and pointing fingers and frankly, made him feel lower than low. It wouldn't surprise me if he just won't be into guns, ever, because of this. Could have cost us an ally, did have earned us a vote the wrong way. Yes what he did was stupid and reckless, however beating that into his skull was pointless on your part. He already knows. Deserting your friend will only make that worse yet.

The most important thing here is that nobody was hurt. AND it's going to hit him in the wallet hard enough he'll feel the scar years later. Once that was established, you could have had a more adult conversation about alcohol abuse and firearm safety. Maybe actually go over safe handing practices and SHOW him what that means. Maybe take him to an outdoor range for a private lesson. Just because he's a vet does not mean he's an expert weapons handler and this incident proves it.

On a more controversial point, this is exactly why the bar to firearm ownership should probably be set higher than birthright. Much like the idiots on the road demonstrate the bar for driving is set wayyyy too low. And yes, I recognize 2A and a driving license are not the same thing and I will also state that I do not support restricting a right. Just stating that with a low barrier to entry, the odds of something stupid happening increase.
This honestly, is a horrible take. What is the rate of negligent discharges per millions of guns/gun owners in the United States?

Sadly this type of thinking is why Measure 114 is on the ballot and will likely become reality for us Oregonians.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top