JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This honestly, is a horrible take. What is the rate of negligent discharges per millions of guns/gun owners in the United States?

Sadly this type of thinking is why Measure 114 is on the ballot and will likely become reality for us Oregonians.
And you fail to recognize that I said I don't support rights restriction. You cherry picked one part of my statement without taking in the whole.

And I will be voting NO on 114, thanks. And everyone I can convince.

This is a learning opportunity you may have messed up. You reacted by yelling and pointing fingers and frankly, made him feel lower than low. It wouldn't surprise me if he just won't be into guns, ever, because of this. Could have cost us an ally, did have earned us a vote the wrong way. Yes what he did was stupid and reckless, however beating that into his skull was pointless on your part. He already knows. Deserting your friend will only make that worse yet.

The most important thing here is that nobody was hurt. AND it's going to hit him in the wallet hard enough he'll feel the scar years later. Once that was established, you could have had a more adult conversation about alcohol abuse and firearm safety. Maybe actually go over safe handing practices and SHOW him what that means. Maybe take him to an outdoor range for a private lesson. Just because he's a vet does not mean he's an expert weapons handler and this incident proves it.

On a more controversial point, this is exactly why the bar to firearm ownership should probably be set higher than birthright. Much like the idiots on the road demonstrate the bar for driving is set wayyyy too low. And yes, I recognize 2A and a driving license are not the same thing and I will also state that I do not support restricting a right. Just stating that with a low barrier to entry, the odds of something stupid happening increase.
1- Shaming works, especially with men who's camaraderie is based on constantly pressure testing their cadre for weakness and deficiencies. As with anything, there shouldn't be a legal barrier for creating structure, but rather a CULTURAL support creating the structure. This includes shaming/reprimanding shiitheads for doing really stupid things that put other people in danger. Accountability is important, much more so than coddling after a mistake. This is the real world with real repercussions, he could have killed someone and should feel badly about it.
2- If your feelings are so hurt you decide to vote MALICIOUSLY, using your power to vote to chop away at the rights of others, consider the possibility that ALL voting is immoral when its predicated on exerting your will on someone else who's unwilling.
3- You're never going to vote yourself out of this mess. You're delusional if you believe in "Voting Harder" to solve the problem. The system wouldn't give you or even allow you to have the tools you need to defeat it.
4- Absolutely agree with your point about not restricting rights. The man should have been able to go buy a belt fed machine gun from a vending machine that very night.

1- Shaming works, especially with men who's camaraderie is based on constantly pressure testing their cadre for weakness and deficiencies. As with anything, there shouldn't be a legal barrier for creating structure, but rather a CULTURAL support creating the structure. This includes shaming/reprimanding shiitheads for doing really stupid things that put other people in danger. Accountability is important, much more so than coddling after a mistake. This is the real world with real repercussions, he could have killed someone and should feel badly about it.
2- If your feelings are so hurt you decide to vote MALICIOUSLY, using your power to vote to chop away at the rights of others, consider the possibility that ALL voting is immoral when its predicated on exerting your will on someone else who's unwilling.
3- You're never going to vote yourself out of this mess. You're delusional if you believe in "Voting Harder" to solve the problem. The system wouldn't give you or even allow you to have the tools you need to defeat it.
4- Absolutely agree with your point about not restricting rights. The man should have been able to go buy a belt fed machine gun from a vending machine that very night.
5- Day drinking isn't for you.

I've always had an ironclad rule where alcohol and firearms are concerned: The moment the first alcohol container of any type is opened no firearms, ammunition, firearm parts, or ammunition components may be touched until the next morning. If I used recreational drugs I would include those as well.

I'm glad nobody was injured and hope that the man had an effective wake up call.

The TV still works, those things are surprisingly durable. Back when I was a kid, if the screen got cracked then you were done for. But that bubblegum still works! Sorry for the crappy pictures, I just screenshot the video lol

Thank you for the suggestion guys, I will tell the man to buy some snap caps ASAP. The guy is still a buddy and will always be, but he for sure should stay away from live ammo for a while.

But I will do my part and have a good heart-to-heart with my bud, it a huge responsibility and sometimes people forget that. But it is ultimately up to him what he does with his life.

Screenshot_20221002-181151_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20221002-181210_Video Player.jpg

Last Edited:
And you fail to recognize that I said I don't support rights restriction. You cherry picked one part of my statement without taking in the whole.

And I will be voting NO on 114, thanks. And everyone I can convince.
I'm aware of what you wrote later in that paragraph, doesn't change the meaning of the text I highlighted though. Anybody claiming that there should be more barriers to firearm ownership is giving the anti-2A folks an undeserved leg to stand on.

Then why are you posting it online?

And F' those cucks, they need to look in damn mirror and point that high power of perception at themselves.
I agree, that is why I posted it here instead of a place like Reddit! And with the MSM, they don't need any real life examples anyway, they can always make bubblegum up like they always do. My intention was to remind my fellow gun owners and new shooters to be extra careful, it is none of my business what people do, but I am just saying:

Hey bro, please be safe.

And to the person that said I was being too harsh yelling at my friend, I am too lazy to figure out how to quote multiple people, so I will just add it. I see where you are going, and I will give you props for having some good points. But for me, I take gun safety very seriously. I know nothing happened and that is good, but I don't know. I feel coddling just does not cut it.

I guess the point is, would you be mad if you were on the other side of that wall or maybe your child? Sure nothing happened, but your life just got saved by the grace of God, poor aim, and a hollow point.

Playing with your gun can be fun...playing with your gun while drunk....
Can lead to unexpected consequences.
( Worded that way on purpose... :D )

In any event....
Safe firearm handling is a good way to familiarize yourself with a firearm.
The story in the OP is not a good example of this.
Andy

I agree, that is why I posted it here instead of a place like Reddit! And with the MSM, they don't need any real life examples anyway, they can always make bubblegum up like they always do. My intention was to remind my fellow gun owners and new shooters to be extra careful, it is none of my business what people do, but I am just saying:

Hey bro, please be safe.

And to the person that said I was being too harsh yelling at my friend, I am too lazy to figure out how to quote multiple people, so I will just add it. I see where you are going, and I will give you props for having some good points. But for me, I take gun safety very seriously. I know nothing happened and that is good, but I don't know. I feel coddling just does not cut it.

I guess the point is, would you be mad if you were on the other side of that wall or maybe your child? Sure nothing happened, but your life just got saved by the grace of God, poor aim, and a hollow point.
Did the hollow point expand?

This is exactly what the anti-gunners want to see, irresponsible gun owners hurting themselves or other people by accident.

I don't have anything special to share, just a story of what happened recently.

God, I facepalmed so hard, I think I recessed my nose... I don't know how many times I said, "DUDE I TOLD YOU TO WATCH YOUR bubblegumING FINGER AND DON'T bubblegum WITH THE TRIGGER UNLESS IT IS CLEAR!" But I didn't want to rub in the fact that he could have killed someone or himself too hard since the man was already down.

My buddy said he trained with rifles in the military, so I assumed he at least knew about gun safety. He found out I was a gun maniac, so he asked what I normally carried. The man ended up buying a MP SHIELD and was really proud of it, bought all these accessories and stuff for it the first week. He was short on funds so I gave him a box of hollow points, he didn't know what hollow points were, which worried me a bit, so I explained the difference between FMJ and HP. Then I was like, "so you know how to use that thing safely right? Watch your finger, check to make sure it is clear, and blah blah blah?" And he said yes, so I felt pretty good about it.

Fast forward to this week, and he shot his TV while playing with that new pistol... drunk. Was cycling rounds through the gun and forgot one was still in the chamber. The classic rack then release mag... Good news is, he was going to buy FMJs but ended up using my hollow points, and they did their job. It went through the TV and stopped in the walls of his apartment. But man, he was so close to killing someone on the other side of that wall. I feel like crawling into a hole just thinking about it, shooting an attacker is different, but to kill an innocent person who did nothing wrong. That hits hard.

PLEASE please please, for the new gun owners. If you haven't developed good habits or a paranoid fear and respect for the power in your hands, don't play with a loaded gun. Or at least, double, triple check your gun before you play with it. I mean, I do all the time too that bubblegum is fun! But the moment you set it down and come back to it, let your paranoia run free and check it again.

I don't know what to do for my friend, I keep repeating myself over and over but I don't know if it sinked in or not. I am just hoping this will scare him straight! And thank the Lord no one got hurt. This story could have had many different outcomes and they all would have been very bad.
I can't say what I REALLY think of this drunk man on this forum who could have KILLED and severely injured someone.

You do REALIZE that most sane, smart, sober and SAFE gun people would have a lot to say from a to z and that includes sane, smart, sober and SAFE Newbies too.

Many of the posts on this forum and other forums get put (Pasted/Posted.) on other gun forums, Reddit, Twitter/Twatter, political forums, news websites, candidate websites, etc. too.

I have a lot to say and some questions but I will just STOP right here and ZIP it.

Cate

Got some bad press that day, did he? o_O
I never really followed ELVIS and many so called famous people other than seeing a headline in OLD papers (And now headlines off of the WWWeb.) and I did not know that he shot his tv. Did he do it on purpose or was he drunk/doped up? Do you know what happened?

I never bought any music made by Elvis.

I did NOT like or watch/listen or buy any of the Beatles music and several other famous people when I was younger too. That goes for when I was older too. NOT one red cent for them, Elvis and many other groups.

I do remember seeing them (Beatles.) on ONE Ed Sullivan show when I was a kid or young teen. It was when they made their first appearance in the USA - I changed the channel after I saw/heard them. I was NOT impressed with any of their music EVER. That goes for ELVIS too. I do know that many people do NOT agree with me on them and other groups.

I do know a bit from the so called news that he drank (?) or ended up on drugs (?) or did BOTH (?).

I think (?) that he died from a drug overdose with legal (?) Rx drugs or illegal (?) drugs. Maybe he died of drugs AND booze. Beats me.

I did NOT see that NEW movie about him and I will not see it but I did listen to 2 brief interviews about him and his crooked manager with a dirty PAST who was not a Col. and was from Holland if my memory is correct.

I think that Hanks plays that manager part in the movie but we will not see it and especially since my husband will NOT watch or pay for a on sale disc with Hanks in it now.

The war movies that we had with Hanks in them got donated to the library some time ago too.

I have NO clue who the person is that plays Elvis in the movie.

I wonder about the tv shooting and Elvis. I do not remember reading about that at all many moons ago. But even though I read a LOT and still do - it must have not made any imprint on my memory or I never READ IT to begin with since I was NOT 'into Elvis'.

Or maybe it is because I am older and CRS on some things that never did interest me too much. LOL

Take care!

Cate

For new gun owners, I always recommend a used B&W TV from Goodwill until proper gun handling technique is learned.
OMG!

I should not laugh but I did because what you wrote IS funny!

I just about spit out my hot tea here reading your post.

Take care!

Cate

At least he didn't kill someone.
Or do this I have a friend who is a EMERGENCY ROOM DOCTOR.
down in southern California.
He sent me this picture last night.
Dude didn't check the chamber before cleaning gun.

25319.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top