JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this is on the way:

B6FEC162-09DB-407E-8CB2-68BEBE690EF3.png

I've never loaded for a semi-auto anything. What do I need to know about loading for an AR?

The twist is 1-8", what is a good, cheap bullet to start with? I can order factory seconds from Shooter's Pro Shop.

I use CCI 400 primers but from what I've read they're not optimal for the AR. Any suggestions?

Crimp or no?

Finally, I have Benchmark and Varget in solid supply, any recommendations for loads?

Thanks,

P

Last Edited:
Good and cheap are on different sides of a fence. If you want a good projectile, try the Sierra 69gr HPBT match, a less expensive option is the Nosler 69gr HPBTM, if you want cheap projectiles, then try some of the Prvi Partizan 69's. I load them with 25.5gr of Varget, it meters like crap but shoots real good. That 1/8 twist might be a little slow for 77's so I would stay away from those.

Faster twist rates work better with higher weights, and Wylde is a hybrid combining 5.56 power with .223 accuracy. Anything 62gr and up should be good, and it'd probably be a tackdriver with IMI Razorcore 77gr Mk 262-clone.

1/8 isn't *as* optimal as 1/7, it's kind of aiming for a "happy medium" between the 60's-grain rounds favoring 1/9 and the 70's-grains favoring 1/7. "Jack of All Trades" kinda thing. Then again, the next 1/7 Wylde I see will be the FIRST, and I been looking for a while...

For inexpensive but decent performance:
22 Caliber .224 Diameter 62 Grain BTHP With Cannelure 250 Count
I found them to have better accuracy and on target performance than any cheap 55 gr FMJ bullets, particularly in a 1 in 8" twist barrel.
And, if you want to try some affordable factory varmint ammo, that is surprisingly accurate in faster twist barrels, (at least in my experience), try some of these:
50 Round Box - 223 Rem 50 Grain Polymer Tip BT Fiocchi Extrema Ammo - 223HVA50 | SGAmmo.com
Best price I have seen lately.
Of course, if accuracy is your main concern, and budget is not an issue, Sierra 69 gr Matchkings are tough to beat.
I also like the Lee factory crimp die for my AR handloads, and suggest CCI-450 or RP 7 1/2 primers for the AR as their thicker cup should help prevent potential slam fires in the AR.

1/8 twist barrel will stabilize the heavier bullets for long range (plus 200 yards) 69, 77 & 80s.
Size the brass with full length dies adjusted to bring down the case shoulder to spec.
You should be able to chamber and remove the sized brass easily if it is sized properly.
RCBS precision MIC is a great tool to measure this. NO CRIMP the round will be more accurate. :eek:
I reload thousands of 223 annually for many years with no crimp. Bullets with properly sized brass
will not push back into the case.:oops: Primer pocket uni-former I use to prevent a 'High Primer'
potential slam fire.:eek::eek::eek: Favorite accuracy load for 200 yards or less. (sub moa)
Winchester brass-----53 Sierra Match King with 26 grains of W 748. 2.250 OAL--------
W748 meters perfectly.:p Varget does not. Varget is a great powder for heavy bullets.
I weigh each charge with Varget PIA.:( -------69SMK ----25.3 gr Varget---2.260 OAL---
This is the "Accuracy load" listed in Sierra's manual for 69 SMK.;)
As always check all loads with published data.:D Free load data for IMR, Hodgdon and
Winchester powders. Hodgdon Reloading | Home
I like these one caliber load data books from all major bullet and powder manufactures.
41GQ1fSwVNL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last Edited:
I believe RRA sources their barrels from Wilson arms who also supplies WOA. They are great barrels. I have built a couple bull barrel varmint uppers and one of them is with a Wilson arms barrel and the other wears a Wilson Combat barrel. They are both 1-8 twist 223 Wylde. I have some load data I will share this afternoon in a post about my experience with loading for them. 284guy's post is pretty much spot on so far as I have not found a sub 60 gr load that is as accurate as 60 gr and above. Both barrels show a definite preference for certain bullets in the 60-65gr range so maybe I have just not stumbled on to the right bullet in the 50-55 gr range. More to come this afternoon but here is a teaser, buy stock in AR comp powder and 60 gr nosler ballistic tips.:D

Last Edited:
Don't let the internet tell you that you can't run 52 or 53's
You can often find sample packs of 10 at the online sellers.
Try some and see for yourself.
I have found the 53 SMK/26g. W748 to be the most accurate load at 100 yards. This is
true for several different match grade barrels I have tried it in. Typically .5" groups or better!
I shoot competition with a AR 20" service rifle 1/7 and 1/8 twist barrels.

I load with blc-2 and hornady 60grn sp. My Odin Works 1in8 twist DMR barrel does not like 55grn pills. Have yet to feed it anything heavier than 62grn ss109 from American eagle, the green tips. It like those a lot.

I loaded a bunch of 69 gr SMK with Varget, 25.3 and 24.0 grains. I also included two different flavors of 70 RDF and one load of 64 gr Bonded Solid Base. I shortened our accuracy load aka Pest Control so it would fit his magazines.

C3C4F33E-351A-4794-B6F9-9DD2E5F6361B.jpeg

He's got options.

P

Last Edited:
It's actually cheaper now to just buy bulk M855 62 grain green tip.
That will run great in the 1/8 twist.
I would save the money for reloading till .
Later.
I buy m855 by the case of 1000 .

My brother's range report. Keep in mind the rifle was new, and he'd never shot an AR before.

Most of the loads did not shoot well, but the famed accuracy load of 25.3 gr Varget did this:

60732047-1D0D-4808-B5C1-29949937E88C.jpeg

That's .65" or so, good enough for me.

MV was 2730, extreme spread of three.

Three. I'm a frickin' jaynius.

P

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR