JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Regrets:

Not asking my grandfather to pass down his machining skills and teach me to run lathe/mill/etc during the meager years we had together.
Not taking the hot cheerleader who was interested in me in high school up on it. (Let's see... cheerleader, interested in a Dennis Nedry lookalike, anybody else see the "It's A Trap!" here?)
Not pushing myself harder, and getting into JROTC in HS and pursuing it into college ROTC.
Not skipping the MBA-track BS and going straight into a History major.
Not heeding my instincts to RUN at first sight of the girl who broke my heart in college, even though she did bring out the best in me and without her I wouldn't be the man I am today.
(ongoing) Not yet having the mobility and finances to close the deal bringing the one I love here and putting a ring on her finger.

After those all the rest is small potatoes.
Funny. My son went through ROTC while getting BA in history. Got an MBA while a Captain in The Air Force. He just retired at the Rank of LTC. Received a Bronze Star
In Afgainstan.

Not sure...
Never learning to play a musical instrument (in spite of having two musicians for parents), but that may have been a blessing in disguise. It's very easy to lose one self in the mastery of music.

Or; Not joining the service sooner than I did and retiring at 36/37. Should have been more persuasive with my mother, but she just wouldn't sign the papers.

Or; Not learning to speak more foreign languages FLUENTLY, and not just to a survival level. This would have taken me further in life for sure.

Getting married at 20 - dropping out of community college to take on said wife and her daughter. 4.5 years down the drain, a career torpedoed thanks to BS from her family, and starting to have gray hair when I wasn't even 25 years old. Shudda listened to friends & family over that whole mess. Wasn't thinking with the big brain though. She wasn't even hot...

Not seeking out my real dad when I turned 18 - buying into the spoon fed lies my grandparents (who raised me) kept repeating about him. I didn't meet him face to face until I was almost 30, and he had a grandson on the way. My dad is a salt of the earth, good, honest man. Air Force veteran. They used to tell me, when I was young, that he would drive by our house on his way to work and never stop to see me. Never write letters, send cards, presents, no phone calls. When I finally met him - I discovered that during that period when I was growing up, he was stationed in Okinawa. He spent almost 10 years overseas. And he was only stationed in Oregon for the last year of his enlistment. He had a box of letters & cards that had "return to sender" on them. Never had our phone number. Was never even given the opportunity to fight when my grandparents legally adopted me and wrested permanent custody from my mother. He tried contacting me when I was 20, but I didn't want to hear him out back then because I was angry at what I *thought* he was, who I *thought* he was. I had the childhood I should have had stolen from me - my father had his firstborn son stolen from him and lived through decades of hell because of it. We talk a lot now, but don't get to see each other much because before we met in person, he'd already made his retirement plans from the military to move to Houston to be closer to my grandmother, and had planned to take over the business she and her husband ran. We haven't gotten to see each other since my son was a year old. My parents weren't perfect but they were never really given the chance to be parents - I was 2 months old when my mom was pressured by my grandmother to leave my dad and move back to Oregon. She left my dad on Thanksgiving day of 81, and got home only to have her parents turn around and accuse her of being unfit and got custody of me from her. She wasn't even a part of my life for the first few years, and I never really knew her as "mom" until the last few years when I've begun to come to terms with my ****ed up family. As a kid she was more of an aunt or sister (legally she is/was my sister since her mother and step father adopted me - how's that for FUBAR)

My dad remarried a couple times - 3rd time was the charm for him. Found the right woman, worked through his trust issues, and they've been together for 15 years. I've got a 14 year old little brother and 9 year old little sister (I turn 35 this year) by him & my step mom (who, BTW, my dad totally married better this go round. My step mom is only a few years older than me, and is a traditional minded Latina - she does most of the domestic chores and does most of the cooking by her own choice and is happy to have dad being the primary bread winner and her #1 job being wife & mom)

There's others. Some big ones. Some not so big.

mkwerx
If you keep writing stuff like the above you are likely to get visited by the police some night because you are also a gun owner . . . To bad too, it's been nice knowing you.

Sheldon

mkwerx
If you keep writing stuff like the above you are likely to get visited by the police some night because you are also a gun owner . . . To bad too, it's been nice knowing you.

Sheldon

I'm probably on a dozen or more lists. :rolleyes:

It's a shame we can't pick our biological family sometimes. But I've been working on building and rebuilding the relationships I was denied as a kid. I've also learned to cut ties to dead weight and learned that blood does NOT necessarily mean family.

I guess I learn the best by doing things the hard way, but once a lesson is learned it usually sticks for life.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top