JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back in the 70's was offered a job at a little company called Intel with stock options if I recall. Those loosers sitting in their offices all day long.o_O. Friend worked high up and offered me a real good paying job. I was too interested in fast cars and fast everything else. I left that area and regret not keeping a house that is now about 1 mile from where the New San Fransisco 49er's stadium is. That land would be worth millions. ( but then I would be in komiville not good) Back then it was all open spaces and orchards.

Not allot of regrets really, seems the only regrets I have are after the fact like above.
For the most part life was rough, but I wouldn't change it as it made me resourceful and who I am.

They are not regrets, but wished:
  1. Couple more kids
  2. Dad have lived longer.
  3. Not realistic but wish all my dogs had lived longer too.
  4. Not been so helpful to many who didn't deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite was a 106 recoiless rifle.
When she went off, everything vibrated, even the air.
She was more fun than a 1927 on full auto.
Our first (and last) date was in 1975 above Camp Horno.
She just sat there, not a movement, till we fed her and caressed her fire control mechanism.
But before that, we got to make sure she was pointing true.
A bolt action .50 BMG spotting rifle mounted on her tube.
One tracer round down range, hit a junk truck, immediately followed by the 106.
Then, orders to Comm Co. Oh well...
Still makes me shivver thinking about that gun.:D
View attachment 236448
Which direction does she shoot?

Well, since its for truth, justice and the American way....

I have a number of regrets, The biggest one is not being a better father.

Not that I think I was an awful father, But I had my boys too young. First one born when I was 19 third one born when I was 24. I did not really start to want to be a parent until most of the parenting was done.

Now I am in my mid 40's and realized what I missed out on. When they where young I was too busy doing other things to be dad. I dont think there is anything else in my life that I really dwell on, I have got over women and financial woes, I have made my fair share of big mistakes but as far as how I feel today even the really big ones dont effect my life. But missing out on my kids childhood's I regret, Seems like something reminds me daily about how bad I screwed that up and I beat myself up about it constantly. When I come home and sit in front of the computer the first thing that pops up is a 18 year old picture of my two youngest boys. It makes me smile and sad all at once.

My oldest boy died about 4 years ago, the younger two have lived 700 miles away from me since they where 3 and 5. The youngest two are now 21 and 23 and dont need a parent as much as I would like to be one but at least they talk to me and I get to be a small part of their lives.

If I could have a do over knowing what I know now I would give up everything else to simply be a good dad.
I think you are a good father. You are still young, and your recognition of earlier shortcomings will keep you in your kids lives. In a good way.

Not wrapping it that one time... And then that other time.
Not enlisting.
Wish I would have met my wife sooner.

Last Edited:
Not applying to the CIA after I interviewed with them.
Not carving out 2 weeks of time off to go fly bush with my dad out of Nome Alaska.
Getting married my Junior year in college.....
does this thread have a character limit??:rolleyes:

Brutus Out

My dad worked for the CIA. It was a good job although he missed our entire lives from about 5 years old until I graduated high school.
Now we have a terrible relationship and he's bat shart crazy.
He got to travel the world, but they own you.

I regret not just enjoying the alone time and getting in the woods more often when I was single.
So many years wasted that I could have spent hunting, fishing, and exploring. Now with small children those days are extremely limited.
But when my kids are old enough it will kick back in.

And Mostly not taking care of my back!
I've had back pain for almost 15 years! And I'm only 34!
Abusing your body only gets you so far.

Not seeing the bigger picture sooner.

Looking back, I often believe I knew it was there but chose not to look. I guess some may call that, 'head up your bubblegum'.... and I find it hard to disagree, maybe.

images.jpeg Egrets I have a few ...
Just kidding.
Mostly I regret not saying what I really wanted to , when people needed to hear a honest answer ,instead of saying what they wanted to hear.
Andy

My dad worked for the CIA. It was a good job although he missed our entire lives from about 5 years old until I graduated high school.Now we have a terrible relationship and he's bat shart crazy.
I regret not just enjoying the alone time and getting in the woods more often when I was single.So many years wasted that I could have spent hunting, fishing, and exploring. Now with small children those days are extremely limited.But when my kids are old enough it will kick back in.And Mostly not taking care of my back!
@clearconscience
Good post, I owned a business for 10 years when my kids were young I had scouts with them on the weekend but 1998-2007 was a blur of family life. My kids are older now and we I mean I am lucky we live in a small town and get to spend time with each other shooting and having fun.
The Oldest is now married and why you can't get back time you can make the future he only lives 10 minutes away and we get along great. My youngest lives at home, I guess I could force him out but I wont it will come soon enough.
Hope your times with your kids are as good if not better then mine. I am 53 now and the last ten were way better then the ten before that. I gets better at least for me it did. Had to do all over again I never would have opened that business. Made bank, but was not worth the loss of family time.

My dad worked for the CIA. It was a good job although he missed our entire lives from about 5 years old until I graduated high school.
Now we have a terrible relationship and he's bat shart crazy.

I regret not just enjoying the alone time and getting in the woods more often when I was single.
So many years wasted that I could have spent hunting, fishing, and exploring. Now with small children those days are extremely limited.
But when my kids are old enough it will kick back in.

And Mostly not taking care of my back!

Were you one of those college guys who enjoyed saying "Dude, hold my beer & watch this?":D

I hear ya on the back problems, mine held out till I was 45.....:(

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads