JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I assume then you are one who does not carry a sidearm? Those who do, HAVE to shoot to maintain proficiency in their weapon. To not, is irresponsible.

I don't believe I ever mentioned how much ammo I have, or how often I shoot it, but you are right in that those who carry need to practice.

To be clear though, I have a few years supply of ammo and another few years supply of components, neither of which are for sale.

I assume then you are one who does not carry a sidearm? Those who do, HAVE to shoot to maintain proficiency in their weapon. To not, is irresponsible.
That said I've cut my range time in half and increased my dry fire time by 200%. It's not ideal to be sure but there are reasonable workarounds.

I don't have much comment about ammo and such, just a short story about something that this reminds me of a little bit. Sorry for the thread drift.

I grew up on a farm. My folks lost their shirts ranching in the '70, and worked way too hard scratching a living dairying in the '80s and '90s. I remember at times it was a real struggle just to stay afloat barely ahead of the bank and mortgage payments.

In the late '80s as I recall, timber prices really took off. Farmers scratching a living were often completely ignorant of the value of the trees growing on the back 40. Many times a savvy logger or investor was able to swoop in and buy an old farm for cheap, log off all the timber to more than pay for the land, then divide or sell the land for a huge profit.

Many times we heard the stories, people bragging about making a killing doing that. I'm sure they always intended to impress people with their savvy doing that, but I always felt terrible for the dumb farmer who got took. He'd worked his life away scratching a living, only to have someone else swoop in and reap the rewards. Sad.

That has little or nothing to do with the current discussion, just came to mind is all. The moral of my story, if there is one, is just that in a free country many things are legal and often people lose big through their own ignorance or just bad timing. The people making out like bandits aren't doing anything "wrong", per se (I guess), but it sure doesn't feel right, and it seems in poor taste to brag about it.

reminds me of the soft imperialism of 19th and 20th century America, particularly in Central and South America, the 'white man's burden' if you will.

To be clear though, I have a few years supply of ammo and another few years supply of components, neither of which are for sale.
That said I've cut my range time in half and increased my dry fire time by 200%. It's not ideal to be sure but there are reasonable workarounds.
Both good options. Although I'm good on supplies, I'm taking this opportunity to shoot more .22 and spend time with rifles. Also, finding drills with lower round counts (longer range accuracy) helps stretch the ammo stocks. Doing this also with others. Oh yea, and shotgun work since this ammo is still plentiful. Based on the past runs on ammo it seemed to hold out the longest. For me these time of limited cheap ammo (like @DB is Here ) just provides and opportunity to focus on something new for a while.

This is just the best dang thread in a long time!!

Looking at a "Member's" profile can sure ad context to a thread dominated by such a "Member"

But I ain't no sucker! Not takin' no bait, no line, and NO sinker!

I'm also focusing more on bolt action and precision work. If I do up enough ladder tests, I could spend eight hours out in the woods and only burn through 200 or so rounds, while still getting some mags through the CCW between strings.

Those are good tips. I've definitely been on both ends of the spectrum at the same time. I've had listings here selling 9mm at 40-50cpr, while still on the hunt for it for myself.

There are definitely "gougers" out there, running around to every sporting goods store in miles, grabbing their limit a few times over... but they can't sell what someone won't buy... they're spending their time and whatever else (gas, etc) and making some money... suddenly it sounds a lot like a job... but one where if the market turns suddenly, you could be left in the red... but that's the risk they take to earn that reward... seems fair to me, ultimately they have to price it low enough for someone to buy.

When the fires started creeping up, I had several family members ask if they could store ammo/supplies at my place since I have the room for it and am far removed from fire threats. This ballooned to the point where in the heat of it all (heh), I was holding enough ammo to warrant some extra security cameras.

When the fires got under control, I started making calls for pick ups and it just started with 1 uncle saying,

"Hey, you know that 9mm, I see it's worth a fair bit now and your Aunt and I could use (a vacation, hot tub, new roof, dishwasher), you sell stuff online (I run eCom for retail company), could you sell it for us?"

Then the next family member hears what price it went for, does some math, and says hey! I've been wanting that new hunting rifle, think you could sell some of mine too...

Now, did I get a little kickback in the form off lead and brass (or primers/powder)?

Hell yes!

It's a LOT of work to sell person to person... you got a ton of flakes and "lookey Lues", people confirming meetups and then going completely silent, people who want to suddenly renegotiate prices when your face to face, despite already agreeing on a price in writing... it sucks.

Check my feedback, I don't think anyone has felt "taken advantage of".

This whole mindset kept me from posting a lot of the stuff that I sold on this forum, I don't need/want to tell the whole backstory with every listing.

It's really no ones business why I'm buying 2 boxes of 9mm at bimart (for myself to shoot) while I'm selling 1000 rounds of 9mm for a family member who could use the cash (and I can't afford the market price).

At the end of the day, every single person who I've met up with has been smiling when they buy the ammo they've been searching for, for less than retail.

The last person that bought 5.56 from me had previously been buying it at NW Armory for nearly $1 per round...
That's the business to get into, then the customers come to you and you get to pay wholesale while still marking up with the secondary market! :mad:

But here's the thing... Even just reading the above you indicate a sense of fairness, conscious and awareness to the situations as well as a pleasant demeanor.

Far, far cry from what we're dealing with here. :rolleyes:

I remember running a trap line of stores on my lunch breaks down in Salem after the '08 election. Back then I was mostly running rumfires, and it was hard to find Mini Mag. I'd make the run a couple times a week and eventually I'd find some .22, but it was never easy.

Based on that experience, I wound up stacking .22 pretty deep after it became available again. Depending on how my personal actuarial table works out, I might be good to go on .22 from here on out.

Since then, I worked on adding stock to my other calibers. I could always use more, but I have a fair amount put by for each primary rifle and pistol caliber I run, as well as a decent amount of buckshot and slugs. Got it sorted, labeled, and in dry storage.

It was a lot of work, and a lot of money, even at the old prices. As I did it,, I considered buying extra to sell later. However, that would have been a reach for me financially, and I couldn't get excited about the idea of sticking it to other folks later.

I did what I did, and I'm glad I did it. But if I had done all that in support of wringing every last Benjamin out of some hapless mark later on down the road, I think I might just keep my mouth shut about it.

I'll just leave this here...

5. Commercial advertising without Supporting Vendor status is prohibited
To cover costs associated with operation and maintenance, this site relies on support from members and advertisers. Without this financial support, this site would not exist. Our Supporting Vendors are reasonable to expect their competitors are not getting the same benefits without cost. This rule extends to business-related usernames and profile information as well. Also prohibited are non-business members repeatedly using the classifieds to turn a profit (for example, buying cheap ammunition at Wal-Mart then reselling at higher prices). If you're interested in becoming a Supporting Vendor please use our Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

I'll just leave this here...

5. Commercial advertising without Supporting Vendor status is prohibited
To cover costs associated with operation and maintenance, this site relies on support from members and advertisers. Without this financial support, this site would not exist. Our Supporting Vendors are reasonable to expect their competitors are not getting the same benefits without cost. This rule extends to business-related usernames and profile information as well. Also prohibited are non-business members repeatedly using the classifieds to turn a profit (for example, buying cheap ammunition at Wal-Mart then reselling at higher prices). If you're interested in becoming a Supporting Vendor please use our Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

What is your point by "I'll just leave this here"? Are you inferring I am violating this forum rule? If so please provide a link so I may bring myself into compliance. I have never sold a single round of ammunition from this site or to a member of this site. I have no ads on the classifieds and I have never linked or directly mentioned my auctions.

I have no ads on the classifieds and I have never linked or directly mentioned my auctions.

You stopped placing ads when you got caught bragging about scooping up all the 'good deal' posts - and then bragging about it in the damn thread.
That's when you ghosted your ads. You posted ads - then pulled them...

You stopped placing ads when you got caught bragging about scooping up all the 'good deal' posts - and then bragging about it in the damn thread.
That's when you ghosted your ads. You posted ads - then pulled them...
Yep, that was 6 weeks ago after you violated site rules by complaining about my prices in my classified ad then starting a complaint thread in the classifieds. By doing so you unleashed the gloat monster.

Thread closed. I posted the rule for anyone that was unclear about it, nothing more.

That said this thread has become divisive and not what we're going for at NWFA.

Yep, that was 6 weeks ago after you violated site rules by complaining about my prices in my classified ad then starting a complaint thread in the classifieds. By doing so you unleashed the gloat monster.

Id be fine if you took your gloating and went somewhere else.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads