JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would consider B as combat sights but that's just me, and B is the most comfortable shooting style for me with open sights. At any rate I think the solution has come to me. I'm going to say screw sending the gun in and buy some sig x-Ray sights and swap them out and hopefully they put me on target. So in conclusion what have I learned? I guess I believe there's plenty of great weapons made by sig Sauer. They are in a class of there own and some of there weapon designs are second to none. With that being said comparing 2 different companies designs is Apple's to oranges but quality control and fit and finish do not discriminate. I will be the first to admit that sig uses quality materials and the product is of very high quality however there is no doubt in my mind that they have issues with there sights and they could learn a thing or two from companies like glock and hk. In the post above that showed sight picture options I know that glock and HK use sight picture B and for a vast majority of firearms that use open sights that I have fired tend to do well with sight picture B so if that isn't sig's protocol maybe they should follow suit. That aside I clearly purchased a pistol from them before with "out of spec" sights by their own admission and now I buy another gun from them with a similar issue. Maybe it's me this time maybe it's not but the first time they admitted fault. There's no way you could ever convince me that this type of issue would ever happen with hk and definitely not this often and possibly even glock as well. But I digress

Last Edited:
re: photo in post #39:
Have located my photo of the 3 different sight pictures depicted above.
I'm not making any claims which is or isn't correct. I was taught the old "pumpkin on a post" decades ago and have continued under that notion, for better or worse.

Unable to post as I have no photo host, my verbal report attempts to be so sparklingly precise it will serve in absence of an image.

Imagine the same positions of the A/B/C sights & target above. Now, replace the vertical front/rear sight dots with 2 rear/1 front in a horizontal orientation. That in itself makes considerable change in my own response to this exercise.

Further, assuming 'non adjustable sights' means the alignment of the sight dots must conform with where the axis of the bore/muzzle elevation resides.

I have slowly given up my resistance to such after being more formally introduced to the logic behind Sig sight alignment design. My comments represent only ~my~ current understanding. Sig has some standard sight heights of increasing/decreasing metrics. While I forget the actual measurement, such assigned numbers as "#6 & #8" are typical as 'sight sets' for certain models. Sometimes one may determine to raise or lower the POI a bit, and will mount a 6/8 set instead of a 8/8 or 6/6 set. I think there are other # as well.

In any case I have come to have far better results with Sig POI by using the Target C concept. This is NOT my 'native tongue' for sight alignment, yet does in fact have a logic demonstrated by the improved performance on target.

Good luck.

I'm not making any claims which is or isn't correct. I was taught the old "pumpkin on a post" decades ago and have continued under that notion, for better or worse.
I dont know either whats correct, I think whats been taught is more an evolution over the years towards the dead on hold or cover up. Thats what works for me with defensive pistols Ive used. here is a pic with the 3 dot alignment you referred to...

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shootingstrategies.com%2Fimages%2Finstructional%2FSightPicture_Demonstrated.png

I own many sig products and to date have had no issues and I have had no issues with fit or function. that being said everyone makes a lemon now and again. wish you luck but I would send it back and give them a chance

I dont know either whats correct, I think whats been taught is more an evolution over the years towards the dead on hold or cover up. Thats what works for me with defensive pistols Ive used. here is a pic with the 3 dot alignment you referred to...

View attachment 326752

My SIG pistols shoot like Kodas pic. My latest sp2022 , new out of the box ,the night sights are visually off to the left a bit. It had some wear on the frame where the slides ride. Looked dirty from testing when I first field stripped it....That aside it seemed to be on when shooting steel but i disided it needed to be rested to confirm poi. She shoots very true at 15 and 25 yards and chews up cheap ammo like a SIG. Little flaws aside I'm not touching a thing . Great shooter even w combat sights.

Last Edited:
I've honestly never had POI issues on any of my sigs. Ive owned P220s, P226s, P228s and P229s. No function issues either. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen and thats why I always shoot a gun 500 to 1000 rounds before carrying it. I used to believe Glocks couldn't go wrong until my buddy had some goofy extraction with a G19. When my department first bought M&Ps, we had to go through 3 lots before we had guns that were functioning well overall. We were one of the first to adopt it, so I think it was just bugs from a new design. Each gun goes through a week of 1000 rounds a day. My duty weapon, which definitely looks used now, has had around 10,000 rounds through it since 2014, runs like a champ. Not a single malfunction.

"here is a pic with the 3 dot alignment you referred to..."
thanks for the illustration koda; it raises the point I was trying to make. Whatever our 'sight picture' may be (POA) it is the 'point of impact' (POI) that makes the X-ring happy.

The visual you post in reality is no different than the previous images we were discussing. In ~my~ Sigs I have finally figured out that I need 'full coverage' of the horizontal dots upon the X-ring. If my POA is as your photo illustrates, I hit low. If I align the dots that bit higher on the X, I center punch the X.

Therein is the features, as far as I can tell, of the Sig #6 & #8 (etc) sight numbered sets.

But I may be wrong as well.

On steel plates *where* the POI strikes is not so important, just *that* it strikes.

Pursuant to our little discussion here, I now have good reason to head for the range again soon with some PAPER!!:confused:

Thanks for your thoughts.

Send it in. They are extremely fair and prompt in my experience. But I have not had a problem with my 228. Purchased in 1992-1993, my 228 EDC has performed flawlessly through tens of thousands of rounds. I stopped counting at 10K in 1996.

I recently sent it back because after 20 years the night sights needed to be replaced. The decision was interesting because I could buy sights anywhere and install them myself, but the pusher was pretty damn expensive for a one-time use. I opted to send it in when they were doing a deal on tuneups, and they installed new sights, replaced pins, springs etc. for a VERY reasonable price and fast turnaround. I think it was $199 total. And it is just as accurate as the day I received it.

My only regret is that they did not send back a condition report. Not that they advertize that, but i had hoped to get feedback from their technician considering the gun's age and my statement of rounds run.

Never had a misfeed or any kind of malfunction. Ever. It's an amazing gun.

So 6 months ago I bought a sig p226 extreme .40 cal and it wasn't hitting on target. I sent it in and they changed the front sight because it was out of spec and sent it back to me and it was shooting great I was happy with it. Then I decided I wanted a heavier gun so I sold my extreme on this sight and went out and bought a sig p226 stainless elite.
I got this gun and sure enough it wasn't hitting on target again. Not sure what I wanted to do so I waited. Then I went shooting again and today I said screw this I'm calling them and so I did.
When I talked to them the guy said sure you can send it in but if we think the gun is hitting on target we are going to charge you 110 dollars for labor costs. I said wow that's kind of stupid you guys never said that last time and apparently you guys sell guns with out of spec sights on them.
So I said give me the sight dimensions and I will measure then and try to figure out what to do.
So I pulled the front sight off and it seemed pretty close. So I pulled the rear sight of and sure enough the sight is not within the size it's suppose to be. So I called back and said listen you guys are selling me junk and I'm spending thousands of dollars and I want a new sight that's the right size. They said sorry we can't do that you have to send the gun to us and we will range test it and charge you 110 dollars if there's nothing wrong with the gun. So I said I have a rear sight that is out of spec per the dimensions you gave me and if I send you the bad sight you won't send me one that is the correct size? Sorry sir we don't do that. So basically they are saying that they will sell me parts that are out of spec garbage and if I want it fixed I have to pay out of my own pocket for a new rear sight because they won't fix there own bubblegum ups. 1100 dollars for a gun and i have to deal with this bullbubblegum. Every glock I ever shot was good every hk I ever shot was good let's face it hk is amazing. But sig sells ducking junk and they won't even fix the problem. I'm not asking for a new gun. I will even send them the bad part I just want the right size sight because I'm certain it would fix my problem but no it's up to me to take risk and or spend money and send my gun away to get it fixed wow I am just amazed this company is a bubbleguming joke. I really like this stainless elite but this customer service is unbelievable.

Perhaps, Sig Sucks! (currently anyway, previous productions may have been better based on several comments). But quality assurance (firing consistently) on a cc pistol is rule number 1, and I didn't get that. I bought a brand new P938 and (no kidding) it fell apart at the range, literally. It jammed several times in the first 50 rounds and when I held it upside down a part fell out, really, the firing pin stop fell onto the bench, what! I showed it to a counter person at the range and while he was holding it a spring sprang across the room; yep, right out of the pistol. So, I was very disappointed and contacted Sig immediately. They didn't have a policy in place to send me a new gun for the one I had and in retrospect that might be best for me. I might have gotten another 'lemon'.
I explained the pistol had two problems: 1) feeding, bullets were jamming on the feed ramp and 2) the part fell out. I did escalate the issue by including an email to the customer service person and asking that that email be forwarded to her supervisor, which she did. In the email, I mentioned the disappointment and suggested a 'new gun' replacement policy and asked for some ammo as a problem softener. I also included the email in paper form with gun shipped back to them. The supervisor did contact me and said he had his gunsmith polish the feed and fixed the firing pin stop. He also sent me a Sig hat I won't ever wear and a magazine which I had already purchased...he didn't even read with understanding my email he received. He was sorry and that higher-ups would have to make a policy to offer a new gun replacement policy. I tried to buy some ammo from him such that I would receive 2 boxes of ammo for free and he wanted money for them; very unfortunate.

So to me, Sig is cutting corners and then cutting more corners and I am done with them. I think their quality lives in the past.

I did run my gun at the range and it fired repeatedly for about 40 rounds...but I will have to pass many more rounds through it before I can feel secure in its work-ability, many more.:rolleyes:

"All SIG SAUER production duty/combat pistols are set up to use a "combat" sight picture. This is where the front sight completely covers the bulls eye of the target. Using a six o'clock ("pumpkin on a post") or center mass ("half'n'half") sight picture will result in low impact. SIG SAUER, Inc sights in all non-sporting and non-target pistols for 2.5 inch groupings @ 15 yards. If you are still having trouble please contact Customer Service for further help and instruction. Please have your serial number ready. There are also very helpful free Internet sites that cover pistol group analysis."

Ive owned a bunch of SIG's over the years . Never had any problem with them except for one German made surplus P6 that I got "new" in the box. Never could get it to feed hollow points reliably despite numerous barrel changes , feed ramp polishing etc. I think it was a lemon from the start that got put on the shelf early and sold off as surplus. Ive heard people complain incessantly about US made SIG quality usually concerning MIM parts ( which as an engineer I absolutely cannot understand. MIM is a far superior method of manufacturing small parts compared to the alternatives) . All the US made SIG's Ive owned were excellent shooters and almost as reliable as Glocks :).

My sister has a P226, it had some feed issues when she got it used, but actually cleaning it stopped any problems. Wife's P938 has had no issues.

re: "Cough, cough, ahem, ahem, buy a Glock, cough cough."

well.....I did. In fact, I've had about a dozen of 'em over the years. They are the Biggest Reason I migrated to Sig.

re: "Cough, cough, ahem, ahem, buy a Glock, cough cough."

well.....I did. In fact, I've had about a dozen of 'em over the years. They are the Biggest Reason I migrated to Sig.

+1 . Nothing wrong with hammers and decockers. Double/single action keeps you out of trouble.

God now you guys got me wanting to stick with sig sights. I guess I need to ask those guys again how they are defining their sight picture. Are they saying that combat sights are the top of the sights in the center of the target or are they saying that the center of the dot over the center of the target is combat sights? Because if they are saying it's the latter I would have to disagree and that would bring the group up a little bit which would make it even more questionable in there eyes that it is shooting low.

This is why adjustable sights are so very good. You can sight the gun in exactly the way that you want. The notion that adjustable sights are inappropriate for self-defense pistols is simply totally unfounded, in my opinion. I have always preferred to have the ability to adjust my point of impact and fine tune it to my own personal needs.

It only cost me $80 to buy an adjustable sight set for my Beretta PX4 Storm:

PX4 Series, Adjustable Rear Sight & Front Sight

It installed just fine on my Beretta:

DSC_3181b.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class