JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been eying those rascals, but I want a folding stock on it. For me, with no stock it has zero advantages over a Ruger mk series pistol. With my old ruger Mk I can hit a 12in plate at 100 yards with relative ease. I can do better with a rifle, but a rifle with no stock and no follow up shots? I think I would rather have a Ruger 22/45 lite. That gun is very light weight and still accurate; specially with a small red dot on it.

I have been eying those rascals, but I want a folding stock on it. For me, with no stock it has zero advantages over a Ruger mk series pistol. With my old ruger Mk I can hit a 12in plate at 100 yards with relative ease. I can do better with a rifle, but a rifle with no stock and no follow up shots? I think I would rather have a Ruger 22/45 lite. That gun is very light weight and still accurate; specially with a small red dot on it.

My next project will be a silent telescopic or folding stock out of billet aluminum. Silent is the hard part.
I also have a mkiii, but shoot this far more accurately. Sight radius I'm sure plays a big part in that. I wish I was better with a pistol... :mad:

For years my backpacking gun was a Ruger Redhawk with a 6 1/2" barrel. Rounds 1 & 2 were snakeshot, and 3-6 were heavy FMJ's for predators intent on a 3M-TA3 based lunch, plus a couple of speed loaders - one with the FMJ's and one with JHP's.

I've thought about it, but honestly haven't been seriously back-woods backpacking in years. But since I tend to think a lot, so far this is what I've imagined I'd bring:

I have a SW 686 6" with a Burris 2-8 handgun scope on it. With speed loaders I'd have everything from bird shot to .357m 158gr. soft point at hand. From a rest (or something improvised) its dialed in and accurate out to 100 yards with the 158's. Everything else (38's, 38's+P, etc.) would take practice to know the POI variations. That could cover everything from grouse to deer, theoretically, while also providing protection for a variety of situations.

I also have a shoulder holster rig I can modify to attach to the shoulder strap of the backpack, if I feel I need it to be accessible and visibility is not an issue. Otherwise, it fits in the outside pockets of the backpack. It's not particularly light, but considering the fire power, it is relatively compact, and I have one of those extension walking stick rests, which helps a lot it keeping it steady for longer shots.

That's as far as I've gone with that line of thinking… not sure if or when I'll have the chance to try it out.

This is a good idea! The speed loaders make it easier to see what loads you want,You would have to mark magazines somehow to tell you what you have.
And you could have a couple bird shot in there with a hard nose if some bigger game appeared.Just open the cylinder and turn it to the desired round
A 686 probably is about the same as my G20 in weight and although I like having 14 rounds,I imagine 6 at a time would do me pretty good in the back country.
Place the first 2 rounds on target and the rest of the pack...of any animals ...is going to rethink the plan!

I have a number of what I call "field guns".

These are what I carry "in the field". Not my primary hunting gun, not a primary defensive gun, just a gun to have on my person for general purpose.

I want it to be lightweight and versatile. I may carry more than one.

My two first choices are:

img_7346.jpg

S&W 329PD. Lightweight and powerful enough at ranges under 100 yards to be both a defensive and hunting handgun if necessary. With light hard cast bullet handloads it will take a rabbit or grouse without destroying all of the meat. With a heavy 1300 to 1400 fps 300 grain JSP or LFP, it will be a contender for defense against a feral pig, black bear or even brown bear. With a 1400 fps 165 to 200 grain JHP, it will be adequate for defense against a human or feral dog.

Second choice - probably in addition to the 329 PD:

vlcsnap-2012-03-28-07h57m42s130.png

Browning Buckmark with Tactical Solutions aluminum barrel and scope mount. I have a Burris 2x7 scope I can put on it, but I think a red dot might be better, until someone makes a compact lightweight 1x4 scope for rimfire handguns.

I am trying to think of a way to put a shoulder stock on it with a longer barrel. Maybe a SIG brace.

Third choice:

fkr2h2.gif

Weighs less than a pound. Takes down to about 17" long. Single shot. Ammo can be put in buttstock and pistol grip. I need to make some kind of more protective case for it. I am thinking kydex. I would be torn between this and the Buckmark if I wanted it for survival purposes.

Between a rimfire and the .44 Mag., if I didn't have to defend against a horde of zombies, I could make do for a while.

If I had to defend against zombies, then my choices would be a bullpup semi-auto rifle, a semi-auto 9mm pistol, and lightweight rimfire firearm, like the Buckmark or Pak-Rifle.

I don't backpack anymore but I am a rock hound and go on rock and rabbit hunts in the desert. I walk till noon then rest a bit before I finish the day. I have carried all kinds of handgun on my trips but like a 22 revolver the best.

"I am trying to think of a way to put a shoulder stock on it with a longer barrel. Maybe a SIG brace."
<broken link removed>
Yes, I've seen that.

Problem is, without going NFA, you can't put a short barrel on it.

With a handgun, you can go back and forth between handgun and rifle legally, but you can't do that with a rifle without going the NFA SBR route.

I spend a LOT of time in the deep woods, and so carry something which will handle everything. This H&K Fabarm 12 gauge H&KFabarmFP6entry.jpg (Title II shorty) fills the bill for me perfectly. Reducing the stock (as with a pistol grip) doesn't really reduce the weight much, especially with hollow synthetic stocks... it does, however, reduce the effective usage with no stock to shoulder. Reducing the length of the BARREL to 14" however DOES reduce the weight significantly while still allowing one to shoulder and aim with a full stock. I have a scabbard lashed to my pack that this slides into nicely within easy reach.

SB,
Does that beastie require a class III? I see your point on portability. I take a super 14 bbl and have a brake attached to 16" and with a youth stock, she's like a 'Red Ryder' shootin' anything from 222 RMI to 444 marlin.
I like your compact design. Does she hold 5 shells?... nice!
Thanks,
Jimmy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top