JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I do a lot of backpacking, and have wanted a small gun to pack with me. First I started carrying a Ruger MKIII, but I'm terribly inaccurate with it. Then i started eyeballing the Ruger takedown. I had 2 issues with the takedown. First, It's over 4 pounds. Not much weight really, but when I'm already carrying enough gear on my back to last me a week, 4 pounds is a lot. My other issue is its carried in two pieces, so I cant just pull it from my pack and shoot.
I decided to mod a youth rifle for my needs. Started with a Savage Rascal, and cut it down in to basically a bolt action Mares Leg. Modified the sight a little to make adjustments easier, and recrowned the barrel. Its a great little shooter. 26.5" overall length, 16.25" barrel, and weighs less than 2 pounds. Working on a scabbard now that will attach to the side of my pack for quick deployment, if I see some food running around on the trail.
maresleg_zps27ff476b.jpg

That's gonna be a nice setup. A Thompson would be good too. When I'm out campin in the boonies I worry about somthin seeing me as the food runnin around on the trail so I pack the 10mm in a rip open zipper Maxpediton fany style pack.

IMG_0105_zps43e016ed.jpg IMG_0104_zps75964c2f.jpg

There is a thread on here some place where someone took the stock off a little, rascal type rifle and made a 2 piece aluminum tubing stock for it with a wing nut? to take it down quickly

Ive seen the take down and folding stocks people have made for the Cricketts and such. Kinda where I got the idea. I almost went that route but decided to keep it simple after shooting a Henry Mares leg. No assembly required haha.

image.jpg image.jpg What about a henry survival rifle?

I'm a firm believer in having a trail gun like this for game/food and something larger for larger animals or worse people.

I will never go into the woods without a pistol and at least 3 back up mags.

I wouldn't feel bad with just a Bond .357, and my little .22 rifle. Of my years backpacking, and doing probably 50+ miles a year, only had one scare. An angry bear. Still managed to scare it off.
Those Henry's are cool. If I was a boater that would be my choice. If I was to do a "kit" style gun though, I'd go with the baikal MP18 20 guage. Not really intended as a take down, but one lever strips it down.

Where's your food, water, filter, tent, bag, cook-kit, first-aid, socks and sleeping pad go? :s0114:

That was my thought lol.
The problem with most "pack" rifles for me, is the fact they have to be assembled or unfolded in some way, and in the case of some, the weight is a big issue. If i was only out for a day or 2, weight isn't a concern. Once you hit that 4/5 day threshold weight becomes a big issue.

FWIW...that pack photo was taken this am. It was only to show how the Keltec fits in a small pack. I don't have a bugout bag, and probably won't be making one any time soon.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top