Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My backpacking gun

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Blowgunner, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Blowgunner

Blowgunner Tanasbourne Active Member

I do a lot of backpacking, and have wanted a small gun to pack with me. First I started carrying a Ruger MKIII, but I'm terribly inaccurate with it. Then i started eyeballing the Ruger takedown. I had 2 issues with the takedown. First, It's over 4 pounds. Not much weight really, but when I'm already carrying enough gear on my back to last me a week, 4 pounds is a lot. My other issue is its carried in two pieces, so I cant just pull it from my pack and shoot.
    I decided to mod a youth rifle for my needs. Started with a Savage Rascal, and cut it down in to basically a bolt action Mares Leg. Modified the sight a little to make adjustments easier, and recrowned the barrel. Its a great little shooter. 26.5" overall length, 16.25" barrel, and weighs less than 2 pounds. Working on a scabbard now that will attach to the side of my pack for quick deployment, if I see some food running around on the trail.
    maresleg_zps27ff476b.jpg

2. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

That's gonna be a nice setup. A Thompson would be good too. When I'm out campin in the boonies I worry about somthin seeing me as the food runnin around on the trail so I pack the 10mm in a rip open zipper Maxpediton fany style pack.

IMG_0105_zps43e016ed.jpg

IMG_0104_zps75964c2f.jpg

Danger7, Sgt Nambu, Babyshark and 2 others like this.
  3. Blowgunner

That's a slick setup. I had a run in with a pissed off bear last year, and have been trying to decide what I want as a defensive carry on the trail.

4. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

My "trail carry" is now a Draco pistol on a single-point bungee-sling. That will cover PNW predators (two and four legged) and food (if need be). :D

5. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

Wow, that weighs a lot less than my 870. :D

6. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

There is a thread on here some place where someone took the stock off a little, rascal type rifle and made a 2 piece aluminum tubing stock for it with a wing nut? to take it down quickly

7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

8. Blowgunner

Ive seen the take down and folding stocks people have made for the Cricketts and such. Kinda where I got the idea. I almost went that route but decided to keep it simple after shooting a Henry Mares leg. No assembly required haha.

mjbskwim likes this.
  9. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg What about a henry survival rifle?

I'm a firm believer in having a trail gun like this for game/food and something larger for larger animals or worse people.

I will never go into the woods without a pistol and at least 3 back up mags.

10. Blowgunner

I wouldn't feel bad with just a Bond .357, and my little .22 rifle. Of my years backpacking, and doing probably 50+ miles a year, only had one scare. An angry bear. Still managed to scare it off.
    Those Henry's are cool. If I was a boater that would be my choice. If I was to do a "kit" style gun though, I'd go with the baikal MP18 20 guage. Not really intended as a take down, but one lever strips it down.

11. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

:s0015::DWhat about a 44 magnum buntline? With removable shoulder stock?

Brutus Out

12. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

The Keltec Sub2000 folds nicely and shoots well in my opinion.

full.jpg

Nick Burkhardt and Brutus57 like this.
  13. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Where's your food, water, filter, tent, bag, cook-kit, first-aid, socks and sleeping pad go? :s0114:

razormanxx and MikeE like this.
  14. 308

I'll hire a Sherpa for all that. :D

15. Blowgunner

That was my thought lol.
    The problem with most "pack" rifles for me, is the fact they have to be assembled or unfolded in some way, and in the case of some, the weight is a big issue. If i was only out for a day or 2, weight isn't a concern. Once you hit that 4/5 day threshold weight becomes a big issue.

16. 308

FWIW...that pack photo was taken this am. It was only to show how the Keltec fits in a small pack. I don't have a bugout bag, and probably won't be making one any time soon.

17. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Wife and I have BoBs but likely to stick around since we a remote from the mainland. The garden will be much bigger this year.

Brutus Out

clearconscience likes this.
  18. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Stomper took mine.

Since he said Draco.. Ill say M92 or M85
    Just cant beat the compactness/firepower ratio.

Stomper likes this.
  19. Blowgunner

Firepower for what? Destroying every last bit of meat on a rabbit?

20. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yes, and pulverizing the marrow into a pile of reddish/yellowish goo! Besides, who needs rabbits? That's what the Vienna sausages, Beenie-weenies, and Doritos are for! :D

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    nwwoodsman, mjbskwim and Blowgunner like this.