JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a lousy trigger on my Athlon ar10. I did not build the gun, I traded for it already built with all Athlon parts. Since I am not a builder, I do not know what to do. Adjust? Replace? What trigger is good? I like the gun and it is accurate. I plan on keeping it but it needs trigger help. Any suggestions?

A lot of choices these days.
Cheaper but decent are the BCM PNT triggers and such.

For two stage triggers under $100 there's larue with the square corner trigger.
I have Centurion Arms AST triggers in a couple, normal rounded trigger shoe and in the same price range.
Geissele can be had for a decent price when they go on sale.

CMC drop in triggers are nice and not too pricey
I'm thinking about going to a single stage in my 18" AR instead of the CA AST, been looking pretty hard at Hiperfire triggers. About $200

POF 4.5lb drop in trigger rarely gets mentioned. It's a single stage trigger. I have two. I like the LaRue 2 stage but I like options as well. Some of the lightweight 3-3.5lb triggers get a little mushy. The POF has a little more snap, to it.

AR-10s can use AR-15 triggers interchangeably. You can get truly excellent drop in triggers that come in cassettes that make is so all you need to do is remove your two trigger pins to remove or install them. The RA-140 isn't top of the class but it is damn fine for just $100 normal price and lower on sales.

If you opt for a drop in style trigger, make sure you have anti-walk pins to install it. I know some makers include them but not sure if all do.

If you opt for a drop in style trigger, make sure you have anti-walk pins to install it. I know some makers include them but not sure if all do.
The constant spring pressure against the trigger mounting pins keeps them from drifting in their holes, while the spring force in a drop-in is all self contained in the drop-in case. The standard pins will readily drift out without that constant spring force.
Packaged, I have Rise, CMC and Timney. Milspec I have Geissele and LaRue. Any will surpass what you are using.

One note, though -- if your rifle is accurate as you say, I'd recommend mastering that trigger, then installing a better one.
If you look at the folks who excel at the "1MOA All Day" challenge, they have mastered the core skills of hold, sight and trigger. While you may think that a coarse trigger needs a heavy pull, I found that one of the best training tools was a light, consistent increase of force across a heavy trigger.
In many shooting texts I have read, it is described as, "let the gun firing surprise you."
I *hate* the trigger on my WInchester M70 because it's like dragging a cinderblock across concrete. I haven't swapped it out because it's an outstanding skill to practice once in a while.

since youre not a builder A: learn to build and modify. B: take it to your LGS for recommendations/installation of triggers. chances are they'll have a few installed on guns and you could feel them.

personally, i like single stage drop in triggers but ive also made a real nice feeling "milspec" trigger before using sand paper, wet stones, set screws and springs

AR-10s can use AR-15 triggers interchangeably. You can get truly excellent drop in triggers that come in cassettes that make is so all you need to do is remove your two trigger pins to remove or install them. The RA-140 isn't top of the class but it is damn fine for just $100 normal price and lower on sales.
x2 on the RA-140 or even the Aim surplus drop in (made by Rise Armament)

I think the larue 2 stage mbt is, dollar to pound ratio, the most excellent mod I've made to my AR 308. I see the other fellas have already stated that you can use any ar15 trigger in your 308.. for the nature of a 308 "DMR" type I really lean to thinking the two stage is appropriate.

And I think I saw one in the classifieds the other day too.

If you think you'll need help changing it yourself, feel free to shoot me a message and we can arrange a video call or something.

I think the larue 2 stage mbt is, dollar to pound ratio, the most excellent mod I've made to my AR 308. I see the other fellas have already stated that you can use any ar15 trigger in your 308.. for the nature of a 308 "DMR" type I really lean to thinking the two stage is appropriate.

And I think I saw one in the classifieds the other day too.

If you think you'll need help changing it yourself, feel free to shoot me a message and we can arrange a video call or something.
Thanks so much, I HAVE ordered a 2 stage from a forum member, I will let you know if I need help, thanks!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top