JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 300BLK pistol build

I guess I have to fall in line with all the others here that have jumped on the bandwagon to "BUILD YOUR OWN AR15". I was intrigued by hearing all about people milling 80% lowers, I was also intimidated by this arduous task by not having any metalworking experience, I weld WOOD!!!

I made a build list with prices, looked online and on the many forums that I frequent, buying an item here & one there until I had all the parts to get started. Did I mention I am a resourceful buyer.... I like a good deal!!!

So I decided I will dive into this head first by researching jigs and the lowers as well. What I found was that you get what you pay for, like anything else. Jigs ranged from $80 to well over $250 with the more expensive model having the capability of milling the AR10 lowers with more $$$ for the adapter. In my mind (I am somewhat of a spendthrift) it was the end result and adaptability that made my decision to go with the 5D Tactical jig. My experience with this jig is on this thread: <broken link removed>

With the 80% lower completed I debured the safety and trigger holes and began to install the phosphate coated ELG builder LPK from Brownells ($25). I opted to get the trigger less LPK since I had a spare RRA pistol grip and a mil-spec trigger that I had polished all the contacts with my Dremil, cotton wheel & light polishing compound. The task went well although I did not take pics of the outcome but I was well satisfied. I found a used Sig Brace/KAK tube and already had the buffer spring and H1 buffer on hand to complete the lower for less than $150.

The upper receiver/BCG & CH are from Davidson Defense, they are new but purchased from a board member along with other parts for the next build. The barrel Kit included a 10.5" B-Tac/4150V steel barrel with a nitride finish, a pistol length gas tube and a low profile gas block (generic brands I suppose because I had to return the gas block because it did not fit). I found a New Giselle standard super gas block for $40 shipped, $59 elsewhere + shipping) from an individual on another board. A much better choice!!! To cover the barrel I found a New Danial Defense MFO-9 (also from an individual on another board). I used an A2 30 cal birdcage flash suppressor to finish the upper. As for sights, I found a new set of Magpul BUS for the final addition to the newly created "CDW", (Casper Defense Weapon).

The cost for the complete upper was $370 bringing the total build cost to $520. Not bad for an old rookie, eh?:p
I do have to thank those who had helped me along the way, AWESOME (you know who you are)!!!

Not able to edit for pics from my stupid smart phone.....:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last Edited:
Here are the pics.

20170407_143627.jpg 20170407_143827.jpg

I was really surprised at how easy it was to mill them.
On the one hand, I knew that illiterate goatherders in the butthole of Kablamistan do scary good builds with just salvaged parts and hand tools... and yet I was still surprised that working on a poly, I was able to cut the safety hole all the way through an unmillled blank with only an old-school hand drill and some stick-to-it-iveness. (Why? Just to prove that completing a blank without power tools is only a matter of time and will... and now that I've made one hole, the rest waits for power-assist.)

Looks really good except for that glow in the dark, bright and shiny lower. LOL

Looks good and welcome to the world of AR pistols but they are addicting and you will now have to collect the whole set so just accept it and build the next one.

It's not a home made lower, but there ya go.

20170408_180119.jpg

*Edit*
PSA lower & buffer assembly, Sig brace, Geissele SSA-E FCG, NiB bcg, Ballastic Advantage 9" 300blk barrel, Octane 9mm can, Troy hand guard. Daniels Defense grip, Diamond Head flip ups. (Oops, found my glasses. Not Troy, Viking Tactics hand guard. Memory is as bad as my eyesight)

The can works great on my 92. It's disappointing on this rig. I'm waiting for my permission slip for an Omega.

Last Edited:
Looks really good except for that glow in the dark, bright and shiny lower. LOL

Looks good and welcome to the world of AR pistols but they are addicting and you will now have to collect the whole set so just accept it and build the next one.

Thanks & yes, I'm already addicted....

If you think that's shiny my next build (a LD rifle in 223 wylde) will have an upper and lower in white...
Like having a black upper & lower with FDE or other colored furniture.
It's gonna be sweet!!!;)

You did go one step farther than I did as I bought a number of AR lowers a while back when there was a "calm in the storm" so I did not actually machine my lower or at least the last 20%.

But because of this fine Forum and all the pistol talk I know have a 7.5, two 10.5, three 11.5 and one 14.5 pistols and the reason for the 14.5 is I refuse to pin the flash hider on it to make it 16 in. so I made it a pistol. Almost forgot an 8.5 in 9mm a really fun gun.

You got me beat on the price as well as my cheapest was just under 450 and my most expensive was the 14.5 as I cheated and bought a complete BCM upper with BCG and mod 3 charging handle and we will not talk about the price but let's just say allot more than 450 a whole lot more.

So have fun on your next project and do not forget to build a 9mm as well you know so you have the whole collection.

You did go one step farther than I did as I bought a number of AR lowers a while back when there was a "calm in the storm" so I did not actually machine my lower or at least the last 20%.

But because of this fine Forum and all the pistol talk I know have a 7.5, two 10.5, three 11.5 and one 14.5 pistols and the reason for the 14.5 is I refuse to pin the flash hider on it to make it 16 in. so I made it a pistol. Almost forgot an 8.5 in 9mm a really fun gun.

You got me beat on the price as well as my cheapest was just under 450 and my most expensive was the 14.5 as I cheated and bought a complete BCM upper with BCG and mod 3 charging handle and we will not talk about the price but let's just say allot more than 450 a whole lot more.

So have fun on your next project and do not forget to build a 9mm as well you know so you have the whole collection.

Well this being my first build I didn't want to go overboard so I was pretty much Thrifty on this one. There were more than a few items that I already had from trading bartering and the likes, that's where I get my value from. Being able to find parts cheaper than paying new price is what makes the whole thing that much better. LOL

Nice attire there CJ. I've yet to delve into the 80% builds, as I jumped on the lower bandwagon when they were relatively cheap.
I know, not the same, but, the end results are functionality. Minus a ghost. I can speak and spell budget with the best of any, but until someone pours honey on the word, it doesn't stick very well for me. Therefore I always manage to exceed my..budget. LOL!

Nice attire there CJ. I've yet to delve into the 80% builds, as I jumped on the lower bandwagon when they were relatively cheap.
I know, not the same, but, the end results are functionality. Minus a ghost. I can speak and spell budget with the best of any, but until someone pours honey on the word, it doesn't stick very well for me. Therefore I always manage to exceed my..budget. LOL!

One occasion I also have been known to exceed the budgetary requirements set forth by management.... You ought to see my boat, tackle & rod collection...:eek::eek::eek:o_O:p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top