JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That chart is pretty accurate. That's why I asked where his brass was going. Seems like the extractor (I just noticed I've been using the wrong word this entire time :oops:) spring could use an upgrade. Considering the OP says his brass goes in the 3-4 o'clock area. >.>
I've seen an aftermarket extractor spring replacement which looks like a rubber disc, convex on both sides (I think on Brownell's). I've heard of some performance issues with the oem spring that this new piece is supposed to address. What that is exactly, I don't know, but it could be positive upgrade to eliminate problem variables in the whole extraction process, but I think they want $50 for this thing!

I've seen an aftermarket extractor spring replacement which looks like a rubber disc, convex on both sides (I think on Brownell's). I've heard of some performance issues with the oem spring that this new piece is supposed to address. What that is exactly, I don't know, but it could be positive upgrade to eliminate problem variables in the whole extraction process, but I think they want $50 for this thing!

There's a few kits that fix it. BCM sells one for like $5. $12 for a 3 pack.

Research it.
I'm pretty sure you can go to the hardware store and get an O-Ring that will do the same.....for 10cents.

Eh, if its the spring that's too stiff or long not sure how an O-ring alone solves that.

There's a few kits that fix it. BCM sells one for like $5. $12 for a 3 pack.

I ordered a single kit. I couldn't find where others had used this in a 308 AR, but like you say ( and as someone else said) that 60% of AR-15 and AR-10 (clones) are interchangeable/the same (this was at least 10 years ago, so with new gen AR-10s etc., this guesstimate is probably not accurate anymore).

I'll measure and compare the kit spring with the stock one which is still installed in my LR308, both before and after installing, function test, and put a few rounds through, and see what, if anything, is significantly different. I saw that Wolff makes a replacement AR-10 specific +power extractor spring, which I may order a few and compare as well. It's less sophisticated than the BCM kit, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. It's less of a change up without the o-ring or spring-guide thingy.

I got couple rifles that do this. This really isn't on my lists of stuff I worry about. I do the same thing with the deflector if I want to keep those to reload, but sometimes I'll find some laying around in better shape. I got a whole 5 gallon bucket I need to get through. Some of those in there I think are beyond any chance to reuse.

What about just getting a brass catcher?
Then you wouldn't have to pick up all that brass.

I have a "Wifey"! She doesn't actually catch it though, she does pick it up. That's the advantage to having the gun putting brass in a mostly neat little pile too.

If I got out and shot a few hundred rounds every week I'd probably get one of those funny looking brass catchers. Though picking up brass is good exercise!

After reading the description of the up-grade spring kit it says "Increased extractor tension". That telsl me the extractor will hold onto the rim better. Which would cause the shell come off the bolt face with more force, making the dent even bigger/deeper. Wouldn't it?

If the issue is that its too long, no.

After reading the description of the up-grade spring kit it says "Increased extractor tension". That telsl me the extractor will hold onto the rim better. Which would cause the shell come off the bolt face with more force, making the dent even bigger/deeper. Wouldn't it?
It's worth a try for that price, in my estimation. Worst thing would be to go back to the oem spring, or try the Wolff, or another make (when you're talking around 10 bucks for the spring + delivery; you can pass on the springs to friends so it's not a waste)

You know, after thinking about it, that phrase makes a really good expletive...

"Well dent my brass!"

"Now that really dents my brass!"

We now return you to your regular discussion.

elsie

There's also "Well tarnish my brass"? "Well prime my brass" "Well shine my brass"

That you! Thank you! We'll be here all week!

Gotta say it makes me smile every time is see a reloader get worked up over the smallest of imperfection in a case/bullet/primer/etc. Ive been loading for quite some time. Never once did I retire a piece of brass with a dent in it. Just about the only thing I retire brass with is a cracked neck. This of coarse is for my "plinking rounds" However, my "more cared for" rounds still dont get the scrutiny I see on the internet though. I just don't see the whole point unless your shooting a 10k dollar rifle or a rail gun.

Long story short, lots of semi autos dent brass. You should have seen what my Vepr did to brass!

Gotta say it makes me smile every time is see a reloader get worked up over the smallest of imperfection in a case/bullet/primer/etc. Ive been loading for quite some time. Never once did I retire a piece of brass with a dent in it. Just about the only thing I retire brass with is a cracked neck. This of coarse is for my "plinking rounds" However, my "more cared for" rounds still dont get the scrutiny I see on the internet though. I just don't see the whole point unless your shooting a 10k dollar rifle or a rail gun.

Long story short, lots of semi autos dent brass. You should have seen what my Vepr did to brass!

Heh heh.....As I said earlier, I'm somewhat intimidated about loading shouldered brass, when the time comes. I imagine I'll get over that like I did when I STARTED loading in 2011. I just wanted to run the dents by folks here. So I guess the small dents my AR puts in brass is nothing to worry about. And I haven't worried about the small dent my 1911 puts in brass as it smooths out to practically nothing after re-sizing.

I thank @Reno911 , I believe it was him that let me shoot his tricked out AR at the Tillamook clean-up last year. First time for any rifle other than a 10/22. You can give me a hard time if ya want on the 2nd, about my dented brass worries! :p

If it really bothers you just spend the $5-$7 on a new spring. As I said yours could be stronger than that one or longer. Its better to make them too strong or long than too weak or short so some companies will do that. If that doesn't do it then try different ammo.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top