JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Seeking advice and insight.

Here is the plan.

80% lower. I know it is probably smarter to do one with a completed lower, but wanting to do a lower is the impetus for the build, so kind of non-negotiable.

Something like the Stag Arms Lefty upper, maybe one like this. Model 3HL

I want enough rail to do an optic and magpul backup sights

Obviously lower parts kit, buffer tube and probably 30 other things are missing,

I know I want reliability, accuracy and left handed ejection. I shoot rifles lefty exclusively and since getting a carbine that ejects left I would be hard pressed to buy something that sends hot brass in front of my face and across my body. I have mags, I have some optics.

Last Edited:
Sounds like a fun build you have planned! The stag stuff works fine, the one you showed has a removable gas block so that will help your free float rail install. As an avid AR shooter I can say when switching to a LH firing position I never even notice the brass during training but that's just me. If you want to try a righty AR, I would be happy to let you borrow a cheap upper, or go shooting and let you try it.

The big things that will help IMO a lefty are the safety, mag release and bolt release being ambi. I see alot of time wasted on reloads with people doing "win-chung" style moves to left hand a right hand button.

If you want help on anything but the 80° lower I can show you how to install and torque all the small stuff.

Last Edited:
I own a righty ar. I haven't got burns from the s&w sport II. However in the past hot brass has hit on the right arm. Shooting a left ejecting gun has been a revelation. I do substantially better in aim and target acquisition.

I own a righty ar. I haven't got burns from the s&w sport II. However in the past hot brass has hit on the right arm. Shooting a left ejecting gun has been a revelation. I do substantially better in aim and target acquisition.
to convert it dont you just need a lefty upper reciever and BCG?

I have built a number of PSA ARs without any issues. I'm from South Carolina originally and still have many friends and family back there. They turned me on to this Veteran Owned company, and haven't been disappointed. I almost always wait until the part I'm looking for is on sale but the prices are usually very good compared to some of the other online retailers.

Blackrain makes some really nice stuff. I used their upper and BCG for this build.

Left Handed Black Rain Ordnance Billet AR15 Upper Receiver - Black

IMG_4675.JPG

Well, I have the 80% lower. Need some tools to do it up perfect. And perfection is my goal. I ordered my Stag lefty upper. buffer tube, lower parts kit and stock need to be decided on. I want as much ambidextrous or lefty on this as possible, though lh ejection was kind of a big deal. I am thinking minimalist stock perhaps. I want a light trigger on this guy.

Got the stag upper today. Got some tools to complete the 80% lower. Buffer tubes, lower parts kits, any recommendations? Any products that changed your life with the AR? I am going straight up optic on this one...

Got the stag upper today. Got some tools to complete the 80% lower. Buffer tubes, lower parts kits, any recommendations? Any products that changed your life with the AR? I am going straight up optic on this one...
On the buffer tube (aka receiver extension) go with mill spec (not commercial).
These are almost "commodity parts" now, although I would avoid the cheapo brands like ATI.
Milspec Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)
This purchase will also depend on whether you want the carbine system (collapsible) or the rifle system (fixed) buttstock.

On the LPK and trigger why not go 100% Geissele ?
G offers an LPK now.
AR15/M4 Mil-Spec Lower Parts Kit (Less Trigger, Less Grip)
With Geissele standing behind it, might be the best LPK in the industry.
Yes, there are some crappy LPK's around.

Entry level Geissele trigger (several more models to choose from)
Geissele G2S 2 Stage Trigger AR15 Pin .154" G2S

DD
Who is not a fan of the drop-in cassette type triggers
and their pin retention system clutter.

Last Edited:
On the buffer tube (aka receiver extension) go with mill spec (not commercial).
These are almost "commodity parts" now, although I would avoid the cheapo brands like ATI.
Milspec Receiver Extension (Buffer Tube)
This purchase will also depend on whether you want the carbine system (collapsible) or the rifle system (fixed) buttstock.

On the LPK and trigger why not go 100% Geissele ?
G offers an LPK now.
AR15/M4 Mil-Spec Lower Parts Kit (Less Trigger, Less Grip)
With Geissele standing behind it, might be the best LPK in the industry.
Yes, there are some crappy LPK's around.

Entry level Geissele trigger (several more models to choose from)
Geissele G2S 2 Stage Trigger AR15 Pin .154" G2S

DD
Who is not a fan of the drop-in cassette type triggers
and their pin retention system clutter.

All good info.

For RE I only do A5 systems any more. I like the BCM 10 position RE, Vltor A5H2 buffer, Sprinco Green Spring.

If you don't want to spend the coin on Geissele (my favorite trigger is their SSA) then I'd say look one of the complete enhanced LPK from ALG, <broken link removed> or SIONICS. All have an enhanced mil-spec trigger that is far better than a standard trigger.

Last Edited:
Well, this is how the first rifle turned out. The AR pistol needs some adjustments. It has the 80% lower, the rifle has a Stag lower and LPK with a Geissele s3g trigger. Stag LH upper, ambi safety

IMG_1092.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads