JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've always liked the concept and Col. Jeff Cooper was a big proponent. So I was looking at Scout Rifles because, you know, guns, when I realized I already had one, my Gibbs #7 Jungle Carbine.

It's short & handy, holds ten rounds of .308 and has a slick action. (It's a 1962 Ishapore Mk. II & was manufactured in .308)
Because it's a repro of sorts, the rear sight is forward of the receiver on the barrel where it should be on a Scout.
Unfortunately I can't find a scope mount that will fit. At least not yet.

It's currently visiting Velzey for parkerizing and I redid the wood. I'm just waiting for it to come home at this point.

Anyway, post up pics of yours and give us the lowdown.

20190531_190726.jpg

Sometime around 2005 I discovered Col. Cooper and fell in love with the concept. I converted a Mosin 91-59 just for grins. I put it back to stock eventually, but it was a fun project.

P1060129.jpg
One short year ago, I had to have one of these. I removed the forward scope rail, and mounted my scope conventionally. I really liked the short barrel. Made for a very handy truck gun. For a hunting gun, I really don't care for a removable magazine. That, and the really gorgeous walnut stock, which I spent too much time babying, made me change my mind. This little rifle went down the road.

Notice also in the top photo, a 3 or 5 round magazine fits nearly flush.

Fast forward another year...
I still thought the scout concept was sound, so just a couple days ago I ordered another one. Call me fickle. The difference this time, I bought the same gun with a synthetic stock. I'm hoping it will work better for my needs.

It wont be here til Tuesday, but the actual rifle should look perzactly like this stock photo.:cool:
6829.jpg

Don't have pics.

First was a Rem 788 in 308 that had some aftermarket sights. No scope. Bbl was 18". I learned that short barrels are nor nearly as handy for manuvering in the brush as a rifle with no scope. I also learned that open sights would have drops of water collect....rendering them less than useful.

Rem 7 in 7mm08. Loopy 1.5-5

This was my baby. The .30-30 I finally built myself to be everything I wanted in a lever action .30-30. Short barrel, no barrel bands, good sights, long rail, cerakote and thinned our laminate stock. This was well before Marlin started building them like this...

Let a good customer talk me out of it just before I closed my shop. He asked my don't want to sell it price and started peeling off Benjamins...

Have to build another eventually. But I do have it's big brother in .45-70 right now.

The only thing I want was a variable power scout scope and it would've be perfect...

F9EABC07-A060-4164-A78E-BF1901E0B25D.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads