JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I used to own three different handguns in .45 ACP and switched over to .40 S&W in 2008. I have an ammo can full of ammo for them that I have kept the past 12 years and have moved at least 4 times. I got the ammo can while actually in the US Army National Guard.

Because ammo prices are crazy now, I thought it would be fun to drag it out and see what I actually had. Most of it is just plinking ammo and three of the boxes are partials. Missing one Black Talon, have 14 of the Hydra Shoks out of 20, and the Winchester 100 pack is missing three rounds. I imagine the Blazer ammo is not worth much more than it was a decade ago, but the Remington HPs might be reasonably sought after. 630 rounds total.

Still not sure if I should let it go now, or just hold on to it. Don't really need the money, or the ammo. But the prepper in me says to just keep storing it just in case things get really bad.

P2XoLP-uQsqyIWS1njkArA.jpeg

G2YStNxWQAqyfILbl930sw.jpeg

ry3JfpkoSJ2rxsxMu0c_tQ.jpeg

k4zvzUTFSTGvVKEkrfQWTw.jpeg

039KIugiRGe7m-TM-UfMNg.jpeg

WyOju1i4TV-LSdqqoNB9VQ.jpeg

wpc__LwWSDmUur7OeeN6SQ.jpeg

I use ammoseek.com as a sort of Blue Book for current ammo values.
If I do decide to sell it, I won't be shipping it. And not a lot of folks over here on the East side of Washington willing to pay premium prices for ammo. I could probably list it on Gunbroker for $500 and sell it, but not wanting to hassle with shipping and packing will limit my options.

Heck, I have a set of OEM 4Runner running boards I've been needing to hose off and list on CL that will go for probably $300, and a complete NIB SB Chevy aluminum intake and cam and lifter set for an old hot rod project worth another $300 that needs to get listed too that I've been sitting on for years. I'm not a hoarder, but I hate selling cool stuff, even if I don't need it.

It'll be worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Considering online pricing is completely out of whack and places like Bi-Mart and Fisherman's are still selling for normal prices, when they actually have ammo to sell... I suspect the value lies somewhere between the two...

Shipping ammo with UPS is easy. Just ensure you place the appropriate label on the box. It's not hazmat and UPS does not charge any extra fees. You do need to take it to a hub, not a UPS store.

Shipping ammo with UPS is easy. Just ensure you place the appropriate label on the box. It's not hazmat and UPS does not charge any extra fees. You do need to take it to a hub, not a UPS store.
Easy, but expensive. Last time I had to ship 1,000 of .223 awhile back it cost over $60 to ship if memory serves.

Easy, but expensive. Last time I had to ship 1,000 of .223 awhile back it cost over $60 to ship if memory serves.

UPS has enacted a flat-rate shipping system more recently that has knocked that price down to a more reasonable $20-$30ish(depending on zone) -- for up to a 12"x12"x12"(or comparable sq. in.) size IIRC.

Check out the shipping quote section on their website for the correct info on that.

Print out a ORD-D label & tape it on the package, take it to the hub, and one is good to go.

As for the OP...

I'll offer 25 cents a rd.:)

NW Armory has .45 for $30 a box of 50, limit 2.

Or put it on Gunbroker with a starting price of $.01
Looks like people are bidding on it up to $50 a box for FMJ and buying it by the case. :s0025:
Defensive ammo is going for $2 per round.
SOLD!

With the crazy prices, I'd trade it for a caliber that you have or post it on GB. Don't gouge the friendly forum. My ignore list is quite long and distinguished now after ignoring the gougers.

It'll be worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it. Considering online pricing is completely out of whack and places like Bi-Mart and Fisherman's are still selling for normal prices, when they actually have ammo to sell... I suspect the value lies somewhere between the two...

I agree with this ^^^ too.

Do a search online or call some stores IF they even have any stock on hand.

I would sell it myself because I/we do not keep any FACTORY ammunition on hand IF we do not own a firearm in that specific firearm caliber.

Moving that heavy stuff all around and no gun for it? That is crazy in my opinion! NO offense. And if you LIKE what you have done with your firearm consolidation now - why KEEP STUFF just to keep it?!

Years ago, the only time that I or 'we' bought and had factory AMMO on hand with no gun in the house for it was for a rifle that had not Come In Yet and it was for a Special Ordered rifle. We were using an IN STORE full credit for the rifle and we had a LOT of credit aka MONEY to use up. We did not want or need the cash. We wanted it in goods not cash.

I was up at Ronan and 'bought' or applied a bunch of 22wmr (Nice ammunition in 3 brands to try out.) on that STORE CREDIT. I got some other items there for my husband that he had picked out in another section of the store.

Later on, when the heavier, beautiful and tack driving lever action rifle was sold and we had no more wmr firearm at the time, I sold the remaining ammo. I did NOT sell it as a PACKAGE DEAL that time. My neighbor man wanted to buy some and I sold some to 2 other people that I knew. ALL of those people had bought some items from us before too. They knew how we kept things and since we shot a lot and often - it was fresh and stored properly so to speak.

Down the road, this year, when we special ordered the 2 CZ bolt action rifles with iron sights in 22wmr... we bought fresh 22wmr. It is stored properly. It gets shot too. My husband shoots 22lr, 22wmr and his CF firearms on a regular basis. MORE 22lr than the others but our stuff gets used and shot!

I say SELL IT and put your money towards what you own and shoot now!

Someone may NEED or WANT your ammunition that is just sitting there so it could benefit both of you.

Take care.

Cate
PS: Use it or lose it is my motto. Store what you actually USE properly and plan ahead but don't keep stuff that you will NEVER USE OR SHOOT OR CARE ABOUT just to 'have it'. I do realize that many people do NOT agree with me. NO problem!

Ammoseek now shows that just generally range/target stuff is around 67 cents a round.
Overpriced - sure..? But that's where people are going. So - 630 x .67 = 420 bucks. For the random (and better) you have up there..? I'd figure that's a good price. But that's me. I'm holding.
And I'm a pessimist.

Last Edited:
I kind of want to say keep it but if you are like me and have no interest in buying another .45 ACP chambered gun, then sell it at market locally or on GB. The people buying ammo on GB are aware of the extra cost with shipping heavy ammo. If you sell, keep the can and save the dollars for a rainy day.

The Black Talons are fetching big bucks!

$636.00

basically .60 cent per round for the FMJ and 1.75 for each HP.

But in your neck of the woods, it would probably be closer to $480-500.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads