JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm in the process of building my first Ar15. I'm actually going to build this for my dad as a gift. He has never owned any rifles like an ar15. He is pretty traditional when it comes to his rifles. What trigger and stock configuration would be best for him? I'm just going to put together the lower and will let him choose what upper he wants on it.

depends there are lots of options did he serve and if so what did he carry a A1 A2 or carbine he may like to have a clone of what he carried i have thought about getting semi auto M14 for my dad since thats what he carried he called it a club but loved it but they are way over what i can afford

is he going to put a 16" or 20" barrel on it ?

if a 16" a car stock would look best

if 20" a A1 or A2

A1 is "retro" (im sick of that word)

A2 is modern (some bone heads even call that "retro" )

as far as car stocks if he is traditional go with a old fiberlite light stock its plain and simple and lighter other wise a M4

My dad has no law enforcement or military background. He has been talking about getting an Ar15 since the election. I'm leaning toward a magpull grip and ctr stock, RRA match trigger and a 16 flat top upper. I figure if wants a different barrel length or style he can just switch the upper.

My dad has no law enforcement or military background. He has been talking about getting an Ar15 since the election. I'm leaning toward a magpull grip and ctr stock, RRA match trigger and a 16 flat top upper. I figure if wants a different barrel length or style he can just switch the upper.

RRA 2 stage trigger would be your best bet, it's cheaper and more reliable. The match triggers are usualy just fine tune adjustable but are more finicky and more parts to come loose/break.

CTR stock is a great choice if you can afford it other wise you can get an A2 style stock which he might like, it's old school... If he is LE he should have some experience with the CAR stock though, I would think.

Get an upper with either the gov M4 profile bbl which is basicaly an HBAR(medium profile) that has been lightened up. If he want a bench gun or a varmit rifle you should consider a Bull bbl but I hunt with my M4 contour bbls so I always go for those as they are lighter, easier to trek around with in the desert. I'm not a fan of the Hbar, it's pretty heavy for long trips or carbine courses.

If you get a complete RRA lower chances are it will already have the 2 stage trigger. Good Luck. It's nice of you do build your dad AR

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top