Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My 1911 Project...

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by mpperales, Jan 31, 2014.

1. mpperales

mpperales Happy Valley, Oregon Well-Known Member

The 1911 project continues…started as a stock Citadel 1911A1
    Have made the following mods…for increased performance, aesthetics, and reliability…and because it is a lot of fun! This is a home protection and range gun. I would NEVER mod a pistol I carry…

bteq.jpg

Here’s what’s been done…
    EGW Stainless Barrel Bushing with Carry Melt (Tough hand fit job but I nailed it! Woot!)
    EGW Stainless Firing Pin Stop
    EGW Stainless Grip Screws
    EGW Stainless Magazine Release Lock
    Ed Brown Stainless Recoil Plug’
    Ed Brown Extra Power Firing Pin Spring (a must for 70 series 1911 – helps prevent an AD if you drop it…)
    Ed Brown Firing Pin
    Wilson Combat Factor Plus Guide Rod (Went with GI style and nixed the full side guide rod…)
    Wilson Combat Recoil Buffer
    Wilson Combat 18.5# Recoil Spring
    Wilson Combat Sear Spring
    Wilson Combat Match Aluminum Trigger with Adjustable Over Travel Stop
    Wilson Combat Stainless Plunger Assembly
    Magpul Grip Panels
    Fusion Stainless Mainspring Pin

Still have the following to go…

Wilson Combat Stainless Slide Stop
    Wilson Combat Stainless Beavertail Safety
    Wilson Combat Speedline Hammer
    Fusion Chainlink Main Spring Housing
    Wolff Main Spring

…and a Duracoat job in SOCOM Black except for all the SS bits….and maybe add some Trijicons...but I kinda like the black out tactical sights on it right now. This has been and is a lot of fun and more for the experience with 1911 than anything else....may keep it...may sell it. Who knows...:laugh: I am by NO means a gunsmith to any degree....just like to figure this stuff out, fit it all together, and make it nice. I know I will never recoup the cost but the experience is worth it.

I coulda bought a Kimber by now...:thumbup:

2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Great job!!

You may want to consider a beveled mag well, it will help!

3. 41Slinger

41Slinger Harrisburg Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Obvious next question, how does it run :gun08:
    It sure looks great !!

4. Screwy

Screwy Suburban Clackamas County Active Member

How did you hand fit the bushing? I assume it was tight in the slide or the stock barrel? Thinking of changing out to a "drop in" WC barrel bushing combo but they say they are rarely just drop in.

5. mpperales

@ 41Slinger - taking it shooting today..

@ Screwy - I looked over the various bushings at Midway USA. Found a few I liked and read reviews. The EGW Carry Melt Stainless fit the bill with confirmed "fit" in a Rock Island tactical (essentially the same frame as my Citadel) and I ordered it. I test fit the barrel and it fit perfectly. Put bushing in slide and it fit but was VERY tight. I was able to tap it in place but it would not turn so I had to use a wood dowel to lightly tap it back out from the inside of the slide. I then added a few drops of gun oil and refit it...still had to tap it in. I got it seated and grabbed a polymer bushing wrench and work it back and forth (was tough at first but not enough resistance to feel like I was damaging anything) After about 5-6 minutes or working it with the wrench and frequent checking.. it was moving the way I wanted it too - tight but it will move with a bushing wrench without Herculean effort. You cannot turn it without the wrench...

This is my method and it worked - I make no claims to being a gunsmith so if you try it like i did and your cat dies, you get flat tires, lose a thumb, or blow and O-ring or ANYTHING else - it ain't my fault! :)

6. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Lapping compound is your friend for fitting bushings...

7. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

There is a great article below the Video crap that I ignored. This is a great thread!

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! - THR

Not sure if you've ever looked at the firing pin stop on a production 1911 vs a Les Baer or other custom but the radius on the bottom is much smaller on the Les Baer vs production jobs. This makes racking it a little stiffer but it slows the timing just a bit so it reduces the recoil!
    Don't believe me? Look at a Les Baer and compare it to a Mimber, Springer or Colt. The radius is 1/2 the size.

8. mpperales

I know...I forgot to get some from Midway....and no idea where to source locally...

9. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

Auto parts stores should carry valve lapping compound probably the same stuff

10. Screwy

Screwy Suburban Clackamas County Active Member

Not sure if I want the wrench thing each time I break it down. The Kimber paperclip was bad enough.

11. mpperales

Faster with the wrench

12. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

How much dinero you got in it?