JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The 1911 project continues…started as a stock Citadel 1911A1
Have made the following mods…for increased performance, aesthetics, and reliability…and because it is a lot of fun! This is a home protection and range gun. I would NEVER mod a pistol I carry…

bteq.jpg

Here’s what’s been done…
EGW Stainless Barrel Bushing with Carry Melt (Tough hand fit job but I nailed it! Woot!)
EGW Stainless Firing Pin Stop
EGW Stainless Grip Screws
EGW Stainless Magazine Release Lock
Ed Brown Stainless Recoil Plug’
Ed Brown Extra Power Firing Pin Spring (a must for 70 series 1911 – helps prevent an AD if you drop it…)
Ed Brown Firing Pin
Wilson Combat Factor Plus Guide Rod (Went with GI style and nixed the full side guide rod…)
Wilson Combat Recoil Buffer
Wilson Combat 18.5# Recoil Spring
Wilson Combat Sear Spring
Wilson Combat Match Aluminum Trigger with Adjustable Over Travel Stop
Wilson Combat Stainless Plunger Assembly
Magpul Grip Panels
Fusion Stainless Mainspring Pin

Still have the following to go…

Wilson Combat Stainless Slide Stop
Wilson Combat Stainless Beavertail Safety
Wilson Combat Speedline Hammer
Fusion Chainlink Main Spring Housing
Wolff Main Spring

…and a Duracoat job in SOCOM Black except for all the SS bits….and maybe add some Trijicons...but I kinda like the black out tactical sights on it right now. This has been and is a lot of fun and more for the experience with 1911 than anything else....may keep it...may sell it. Who knows...:s0114: I am by NO means a gunsmith to any degree....just like to figure this stuff out, fit it all together, and make it nice. I know I will never recoup the cost but the experience is worth it.

I coulda bought a Kimber by now...:s0155:

@ 41Slinger - taking it shooting today..

@ Screwy - I looked over the various bushings at Midway USA. Found a few I liked and read reviews. The EGW Carry Melt Stainless fit the bill with confirmed "fit" in a Rock Island tactical (essentially the same frame as my Citadel) and I ordered it. I test fit the barrel and it fit perfectly. Put bushing in slide and it fit but was VERY tight. I was able to tap it in place but it would not turn so I had to use a wood dowel to lightly tap it back out from the inside of the slide. I then added a few drops of gun oil and refit it...still had to tap it in. I got it seated and grabbed a polymer bushing wrench and work it back and forth (was tough at first but not enough resistance to feel like I was damaging anything) After about 5-6 minutes or working it with the wrench and frequent checking.. it was moving the way I wanted it too - tight but it will move with a bushing wrench without Herculean effort. You cannot turn it without the wrench...

This is my method and it worked - I make no claims to being a gunsmith so if you try it like i did and your cat dies, you get flat tires, lose a thumb, or blow and O-ring or ANYTHING else - it ain't my fault! :)

There is a great article below the Video crap that I ignored. This is a great thread!

Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!! - THR

Not sure if you've ever looked at the firing pin stop on a production 1911 vs a Les Baer or other custom but the radius on the bottom is much smaller on the Les Baer vs production jobs. This makes racking it a little stiffer but it slows the timing just a bit so it reduces the recoil!
Don't believe me? Look at a Les Baer and compare it to a Mimber, Springer or Colt. The radius is 1/2 the size.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top