Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My 1911 Dilema

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Joe Link, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm having a hard time making a decision here, and though I think I've considered just about everything, I'd love to run it by you guys and get your opinions.

I've been saving for a Dan Wesson CCO for 6-8 months now and I finally have the cash. On top of that, I received a bit for Christmas, so now I have around $1700. I'm really torn between a couple choices regarding what I can do. What I'm looking for is the ideal 1911 for carry, preferably in a lightweight CCO configuration, but possibly a straight commander.

Option #1 - Dan Wesson CCO & Kahr PM9

If I purchased the DW I'd have enough left over to add a bit of cash and purchase a Kahr PM9 for Jenny to carry. I've been wanting to get Jenny a carry pistol for some time now, but she hates the P3AT and we haven't had the extra money to swing a Kahr. If I went this route both her and I would be set as far as carry guns go.

Option #2 - Fusion Lightweight CCO

I've heard nothing but good things about guns from Fusion and I can get one for around $1700 with the options I want and the IonBond finish. My worry here is whether the price difference between the DW and the Fusion is worth it, considering my limited budget (I have to save quite a while for anything I want). In head to head comparisons they say the fit & finish of the Fusion is that of a custom gun, but they shoot within a small fraction of an inch of each other and reliability is the same.

The main benefits in my mind would be the IonBond finish and the warranty. I really despise holster wear, and I hear great things about the IonBond finish, but it's over $300 on the quote I received from Fusion. I'm not sure if it's worth it, though if I got the DW and the finish wore off it might cost me near that to get it refinished, and in the end it would still be a production gun. The warranty is also nice, lifetime vs 3 year, but what are the chances I'd need warranty work after 3 years? I could probably save up and buy the Kahr in the next two months if I went this route.

Option #3 - Used Custom 1911 (Ed Brown, Wilson, Etc.)

I've seen a number of 1911's from the high end 1911 manufacturers up for sale around my budget. Again, I'm not sure how much better these guns are for the increase in price when it comes to real world use. Whatever gun I choose will be carried daily, not put on display above the fireplace.

What would you guys do?

2. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

I'd buy them all.

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Haha! I forgot to mention, I may be able to buy the DW now, save for and purchase the Fusion, then sell the DW.

4. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

Well there ya go! There are always possibilities!

5. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that I love my DW Bobtail, but I am concerned that DW's initial success may have gone to their head. Their new models are close enough in price to the Fusion guns that I've already made the decision that if I want to get another Custom quality 1911 I will probably save my pennies and go with something like a Fusion or an Ed Brown.

I think CZ is trying to position the DW line at near custom shop prices for a factory gun. I'm hoping they don't go the way of Kimber when they tried to seriously ramp up production to meet demand and it cost them in quality control.

Just my .02 cents worth.

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Well I guess I'm lucky. I can't CCW with a 1911, no way no how. Not even cmdr size in a Milt Sparks. (I've seen you talk about your Milt Sparks so I believe this is for carry.) I think the 1911 is probably the best handgun design ever - just can't carry one.

So I'd save you a bundle and head right for the "other types" dept. I'd remind that a Sig is mighty nice for 1/2 the money but If your heart's set on a 1911, better do it.

Good luck on your decisions. If you're comfortable with a 1911, it's a great piece.

7. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

If I were looking at the ultimate carry 1911, I would first have to assess the carry.

How is it going to be carried? IWB OWB both? I use both, so it depends on what I'm wearing and going at the time of carry.

If it's just up close and personal type situations, I would look at a Colt Officers LW, or a Colt Gunsite CCO. The CCO has an Officers sized frame with a Commander length slide, and has the LW alloy frame. Great for long all day carry. They aren't made anymore, hard to find but they are out there.

As for the semi-custom models...Wilson, Brown, Baer etc., I wouldn't hesitate to grab one of those, as long as they haven't been butchered by Bubba.

I've had the opportunity to test several from these and other makers and find them all top notch...even used. And with the solid quality parts being used in them, you take of it, it'll take care of you and whomever you pass it down to for generations to come.

If you have any local models you're looking at, gimme a holler and I'll come down and a 1911ing we will go and check them out.

8. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Your tastes are far more expensive then mine but if I were going to spend that kind of money I would get a custom built Fusion.

9. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

are you looking for a workhorse carry or a bbq gun show piece?

as much as I dont like the aluminum alloy/ scandium framed 1911's i think those are a good option for carry. now I bought a DW CBOB b/c I wanted a little bit of both carry and show piece, but at 40+ ounces in all honesty it was more on the 2nd than the first. Its a bbq/range gun.

but i hear good things about fusion. If you already have a good ccw gun...get the fancier Fusion. ;) but it sounds like u want a workhorse, so I'd say get a quality kimber (not that kimbers have inherent quality but a "quality" kimber...so make sure its not a lemon).

10. rebelcop121

rebelcop121 Delta Junction, Alaska New Member

I agree with Gunner3456 that the 1911 is not the easiest CCW pistol around. Though I am definitely large enough (and getting larger it seems) to conceal the 1911, I don't like to carry them in CCW mode more due to weight than other concerns. Law Enforcement work has made me appreciate the Glock, though I didn't care for the plastic guns as first. I now carry the 23 on the hip with jackets or long shirts and the 27 on the ankle during summer. Alaska is a "Right to Carry" state so anyone can carry concealed without those nasty government permits. When outside the city, I opt for at least a 44Mag, since people are the least of my worries.

11. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I'ld go option #1. Commander 1911, and kahr 9mm. More bang for your buck!

12. arjunki

arjunki Beaverton Active Member

Fusion and don't look back!:thumbup:

13. codeman583

codeman583 Central OR Member

Para with LDA trigger, and a Colt commander series. and a Kahr.

IWB covered, OWB covered, and a wife's gun.

so 600-800 for the para 6-800 for the colt if you shop smart you could get the Kahr too.

why get one uber nice one when you could give yourself options?

14. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

BINGO!!

if you get into a 2009 Dan Wesson.... when you go to sell the gun, you should be able to get nearly all of your money back. Dan Wessons hold their value extremely well to begin with, and the 2010 prices are going up cosiderably... get in while you can, the used prices stand to increase when everyone sees what they are selling for next year :thumbup:

15. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

Yea +1 on the colt idea...just switch out that dang duckbill grip safety.

16. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

If you are going to keep it then don't buy any 1911 after 1989. Lot of good old guns out there that will last forever without the parts breakage of the new mim parts. If you ain't going to keep it then it doesn't matter.

jj

17. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Thats a really good point. :thumbup:

18. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

Not everyone uses MIM parts...:rolleyes:

Again, I suggest Dan Wesson:thumbup:

19. krawl

krawl Oregon Member

MIM is a crap shoot. 99% of the time you'll be fine. As said DW does not use MIM, you can replace MIM parts as well. After all there is a huge 1911 aftermarket.

Fusion- I'm undecided. I love their work from appearance side. But something just eats at me. It seems really the only place I hear any praise for them is in their forum on 1911forum. beyond that they seem to have a cloud overhanging them and haven't heard reasons why.

If I'm correct off memory DW is just releasing the CCO as an '10 model correct?

20. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Might I suggest checking out the Kahr K series (stainless, not polymer body) in .45? Pretty compact, yet very capable. Smaller than 1911's, very well made. Will last YOUR lifetime, and likely that of your heirs as well. I think they run close to a grand new.......