Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

My $100 Remington 581

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by joken, Jul 11, 2014.

1. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This rifle was fugly a few weeks ago. The toe and butt plate were broken, bolt handle loose, no rear sight assy and the takedown screw was missing. I got this 95% stock from Gunville for $82 delivered and was really pleased with the quality. I had to remove a lot of material to make it match the new butt plate. I soldered the bolt handle and found a bolt that will work for the takedown screw until I get something better. Never did find a rear sight. Cerakoted it and put it back together today. I can only shoot 17 yards here at home and this thing will put them in one hole. I had heard that these were very accurate rifles and they are. If you find one, buy it.
    5811.JPG 5812.JPG

orygun and Fast Eddie like this.
  2. Mannywatz

Mannywatz Vancouver wa Member

Nice work! It looks beautiful! Those are really accurate rifles and very under rated little gems when you find them. I've had good luck putting upward pressure on the tip of the forearm and cut groups in half. I've got a few sets of rear sights if you want to take it back to original. Pm me if your interested. Congrats!

3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Looks wonderful, I'd like to see a before pic, so I can fully appreciate where it came from.

.45's and .38's likes this.
  4. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

Nice work, congrats. I've got 2 of them, a 581 and a 582. Great little rifles,,,:)

5. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

What caliber is that beauty?

6. joken

It's a .22 Thanks

7. WillametteWill

WillametteWill Willamette Valley Active Member

Good job! I'm still shooting the one I received for Christmas...a few years ago (36 or more I believe). This might inspire me to refinish my stock and put on a better scope. Thanks for sharing the photos.

8. Quacky88

Quacky88 Oregon Active Member

Nice... Wish I had a nice bolt .22 like that to teach my son what's what. I learned on my grandfathers circa 1930s Winchester.

9. james21

james21 Vancouver Member

Did you have to stain the stock?

10. joken

I did not. Sanded in tru-oil. If you need refinish tips, just ask