Muzzleloading shooting in UK

tac

Reactions
Remembering that the UK is actually exactly what it says in the title, a UNITED kingdom of four countries, one part of which is actually separated by the Irish Sea and is the top end of the island of Ireland, I've decided to hit you with the skinny on the muzzleloading gun laws as they apply to those of us who live on the big island, known as Great Britain. It is made up of three parts of the UK - England, Scotland and Wales. All three share the UK Common laws on firearms - Northern Ireland has its own take on handgun ownership and sundry parts of licensing, but by and large it is the same.

First of all, to keep this aimed at the muzzleloading shooting sports, EVERY rifled muzzleloading firearm MUST be held on a Firearms Certificate, the FAC. A rifled firearm is called a Section 1 firearm. If it is a rifled barrel antique and you shoot it, it must be on your FAC. If you don't intend to shoot it, then it's an antique, but you are prohibited in law from ever shooting it until you have had the entry for it authorised on your FAC. Each and every live-firing modern-made replica muzzleloader with a rifled barrel is an FAC item. Every smooth-bore replica firearm with a barrel less than 24" is also a Section 1 firearm, and can only be obtained, and shot by an FAC holder. A smooth bore replica firearm with a barrel longer than 24" is classed as a shotgun. One shotgun certificate allows the holder to own any number of smoothbore guns whose barrels are over 24" long, with a bore up to 2".

No propellant, like Pyrodex or T7, needs a license to buy - just show your FAC. Black powder, however, is a Class 1 Explosive and you'll need an explosives' licence to buy it and to transport and hold it - up to 5kg in my county. This license is free.

There is a lot more to this, obviously, but remember that only the USA has the RKBA.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom