JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't find the clean up all that bad...
A few patches with warm soapy water ...dry .. then a few patches with Hoppes #9 and dry again.
Wipe the breech , and lock with a with warm soapy patch .. dry wipe with Hoopes #9 and dry.

In the field I do the same except use bear grease or deer tallow instead of Hoppes # 9
Andy

I don't find the clean up all that bad...
A few patches with warm soapy water ...dry .. then a few patches with Hoppes #9 and dry again.
Wipe the breech , and lock with a with warm soapy patch .. dry wipe with Hoopes #9 and dry.

In the field I do the same except use bear grease or deer tallow instead of Hoppes # 9
Andy

Are the BP revolvers any good ? Or the muzzleloader single shot pistols the way to go. Thanks sirs.

6.InterlakeMountainMenRendezvous.PistolsandHandguns.1959.JPG
Pictured from top:
Colt 1st model Dragoon ( 2nd Gen.) .44 caliber
Colt '51Navy from 1863 .36 caliber
Brass box lock pocket pistol .36 caliber circa 1850's
Trade Pistol w/ swivel ram rod circa 1850's -70's .56 caliber smooth bore
Pistol I made in our shop from spare parts .54 caliber.
Not pictured : Colt '60 Army from 1868 ... It was being shot at the time... :D

All of the above pistols / revolvers work and get shot.

I find that single shot pistols are similar to loading a rifle in the amount of time and equipment.
The revolvers are a bit more time consuming and messy.
That said both are fun to shoot.
My favorite revolver is a '60 Army.

Uberti makes a nice replica version of the Colt '60 Army.
Be advised though ... they are called .44 caliber ...but are really .45 caliber.
Most Uberti's and my original like a .454 round ball.

the Navy's have a similar caliber issue many replicas and my original take a .375 round ball.
Andy

Last Edited:
Are the BP revolvers any good ? Or the muzzleloader single shot pistols the way to go. Thanks sirs.
the only BP revolver I could ever get to shoot straight and reload without wanting to throw the gun into the nearest creek was the 1858 Remington. It was well balanced and very accurate. Most of the single shot pistols I've handled were awesome including the easy to find Lyman Plains Pistol in 50cal.

Myk

Many of the Colt's are still sighted high ... Like they were in the 1850s'-60's.
Sometimes changing the front sight and adding a rear sight ( as was done in the period ) can greatly add to accuracy in a Colt revolver.
I have done this more than once to a replica ... It makes it a better shooter , is period correct and gives you a revolver that doesn't look like everyone else's ....
Andy

Also make sure that you drive the wedge pin back to the same spot ( or as best you can ) in a Colt revolver .. where it is at can effect where the ball goes...
I load about 35-38 grains of 2F w/ a thin wad then a .454 round ball in my Dragoon.
with my front sight re-shaped , I can get good hits at 25 yards and am pretty sure at 50 yards.

Find a good load and stick with it.
Andy

If you're looking strictly for bullseye shooting and ease of clean up a single shot is the way to go.

As has been noted revolvers tend to not shoot to point of aim and sights aren't easily adjusted unless you get one of the few models with target sights. The open frame with rearward pointing nipples also means all sorts of crud gets down in the action so they need to be stripped after shooting. Open top Colts are probably the worst for this, but even the Remingtons need to be stripped.

Single shot pistols can be had in a lot of price ranges. The Lyman is probably the most popular at Rondyvous due to price and performance. Dedicated paper punchers tend to go with one of the Pedersoli dueling/target pistol line (LePage, Moore, Kuchenreuter (not sure of the spelling) etc.). They're pricey but they shoot good.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top