JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Muzzleloading rifle shoot at Greene's Gun Shop.
29 October 2016. Starts at 11.30
4778 Monkey Hill RD
Oak Harbor WA.
[email protected] for more information.

I've shot at this range before and its always been a fun and challenging shoot.
Plus the The Hawken Shop will be open ... Friendly folks with many guns to see and buy.
While our museum won't be there ... My friend Dave and I will be.
We will be happy to answer or make up an answer to your blackpowder questions ... LOL
Hope to see you there!
Andy

Last Edited:
Clark Rifle's Black Friday Black Powder shoot.
Friday November 25. Open to public. Winner gets
a jar of pickled pigs feet. :eek::eek: I am not a Black shooter.
I will forward match director contact information.

Thanks Ron.
Always good to hear of a shoot.

We had a fun time at the shoot in my OP.
There were challenging targets and some good shots were made.
It was a small low key gathering , but well worth the time spent.
The First place shooter got his name engraved on a plaque which is going to be displayed in The Hawken Shop. How cool is that?!
As for my shooting , well I've done better , but still ended up in Second place.
Andy

Muzzleloading rifle shoot at Greene's Gun Shop.
29 October 2016. Starts at 11.30
4778 Monkey Hill RD
Oak Harbor WA.
[email protected] for more information.

I've shot at this range before and its always been a fun and challenging shoot.
Plus the The Hawken Shop will be open ... Friendly folks with many guns to see and buy.
While our museum won't be there ... My friend Dave and I will be.
We will be happy to answer or make up an answer to your blackpowder questions ... LOL
Hope to see you there!
Andy
This might be fun for me to attend this shoot later this year, Andy! Is it set up as a blanket shoot or just an informal aggregate match? I remember how much I enjoyed shooting those at The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, OH. Lots of good shooters, then great beer, burgers, and bean soup afterwards!

It's nice to live in a country where single-shot muzzle loaders can be bought and sold like tomatoes.

Arriving in a location empty-handed, and leaving with an armful of rifles, the only 'paperwork' being the presentation of a piece of plastic, is sheer heaven.

Enjoy.

tac

Myk357,
Greene's does put on a shoot and its usually a blanket prize event.
Not sure when it will be this year ... but will let you know when I find out.

tac,
It is good indeed ... there is a big black powder show the 2nd weekend in March lots neat thngs to see and buy.
All with no muss or fuss...
Andy

Myk357, ( and whoever else .... )
Check out talkinhawken.com
And you will see pictures of the shoot. ( Happy Birthday Sam Hawken )
It was on OCT. 26 2016 ... Lots of fun , food and I 'm even in a few pictures.
( the guy in the red cap with a big goofy grin! :D )
Andy

Myk357,
Greene's does put on a shoot and its usually a blanket prize event.
Not sure when it will be this year ... but will let you know when I find out.

tac,
It is good indeed ... there is a big black powder show the 2nd weekend in March lots neat thngs to see and buy.
All with no muss or fuss...
Andy
Blanket shoots are usually a lot of fun..I really enjoy them and no one walks away empty handed. The last good one I attended was in Friendship and was just a bunch of local shooters on a very cold Indiana early November day. It was chilly enough that we had to warm our hands up on our barrels just to keep our fingers thawed out enough to feel the trigger. I think I came home with a big smile and 2 jars of JIF peanut butter.

I agree ... The best shoots I've seen are blanket shoots.
'Cause even the newest shooter with a untried gun can earn a prize ... and that makes 'em come back for more...
So they get more experience and have fun while doing it!
Andy

Mmmmmm....
Either busting a rock about the size of a basket ball at 150 yards ( off hand ) with my Hawken.
Or hitting a gong at 80 yards with ... a mistakenly loaded .490 round ball out of my Hawken which shoots a .530 round ball. Again off hand.

Hitting clay birds or grouse with my flintlock trade gun ( original ) is always a blast.

Some of the most challenging shots I have made are of the "Can you hit that small rock or shell casing at 50-80 odd yards" type of thing...
One shot ... off hand hunting style is the type of shooting I like best.

I have hit gongs of various sizes at 200 yards with my Hawken ... so I know it can be done. ( off hand )
But for hunting I limit myself to 100 yards or less. ( I prefer less )
Andy

Last Edited:
I shot a grouse w my grandpa's 30/06 when we were deer \ elk hunting as a kid. It was on a lower pine tree branch . I was going for a head shot but shot low. It was just a poof of feathers and some slung guts. That was a poor shot. I don't like waisting meat.

Nice shooting Andy !

What is your best shot w black powder rifles or pistols ?:)

I've won a couple of long gong shoots out to 150yds, but given the outsized effects of wind and gravity on a roundball they were probably as much the result of luck as skill.

Have had a couple good years at Rondyvous. Won both Men's rifle and squirrel rifle at Barlow Trail one year with some pretty good scores.
fullsizeoutput_3.jpeg

Managed a 96 2X (10 shots, 25 yds, one handed) at TriCounty with a flintlock dueling pistol. Would have been better if I hadn't dropped that one in the 8 ring. X-ring is1.695 inches for reference, same as NRA B–8.

fullsizeoutput_469.jpeg

The main reason I got out of muzzle loaders, was the cleanup. Quite a routine. Dont know how they survived in the field. May try a pistol some time. I miss the flash and smoke cloud. :)

I've won a couple of long gong shoots out to 150yds, but given the outsized effects of wind and gravity on a roundball they were probably as much the result of luck as skill.

Have had a couple good years at Rondyvous. Won both Men's rifle and squirrel rifle at Barlow Trail one year with some pretty good scores.
View attachment 340903

Managed a 96 2X (10 shots, 25 yds, one handed) at TriCounty with a flintlock dueling pistol. Would have been better if I hadn't dropped that one in the 8 ring. X-ring is1.695 inches for reference, same as NRA B–8.

View attachment 340902

Dang good shooting for a round ball for sure.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top