JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome to the forum Ted.
While I do not know Idaho firearms laws ... I do know a a bit about muzzleloaders.
If you ever have a question about the "care and feeding" of one , I'd be happy to to help.
Andy

Hello everyone my name is Ted and I'm new to this website
I was wanting to ask if it is legal for a person who has a felony in his past to own or possess a Muzzleloader pistol or rifle in the state of Idaho?

First it's always a VERY POOR idea to seek any kind of legal advice in a public forum. Anyone here can say anything. Often the person giving advice my even "think" what they are telling you is 100% accurate. Problem is it may not be. So if you run afoul of some law telling the judge you head it on the net, well you know how well that will work.
From what I know of this. I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night and am NOT a lawyer. I know there is both state and federal laws on firearms. As for the feds it's GCA 68 that decided someone convicted of a felony was no longer eligible to enjoy the 2nd amendment. Later feds added misdemeanor convictions for domestic violence. In most states you can buy muzzle loaders and reproduction handguns by mail so there is no check. The way the GCA 68 was worded exempted them. Probably not by intent. Now states have their own laws and states all or at least many, do not define "firearm" the same way. So these guns are considered guns in many if not all states. So you would need to find out from someone who really knows the laws in ID what they say about you and your situation.

The state statues should list this , try doing a search at their website, using words like Antique arrms,black powder. May revel some info.

I would agree with Alex. Not a great idea to ask for help especially since anyone can say anything. That being said though, it can give you a good direction to look for local state laws. Make sure to triple check all laws mentioned here as you can meet the fuzz pretty fast if one of them turns out to be wrong. After that though, I don't know a heck of a lot about Idaho laws. I do have an uncle who lives in Twin Falls and he owns a muzzleloader and has shot deer with it before. Other than that I am clueless.

First it's always a VERY POOR idea to seek any kind of legal advice in a public forum. Anyone here can say anything. Often the person giving advice my even "think" what they are telling you is 100% accurate. Problem is it may not be. So if you run afoul of some law telling the judge you head it on the net, well you know how well that will work.
From what I know of this. I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night and am NOT a lawyer. I know there is both state and federal laws on firearms. As for the feds it's GCA 68 that decided someone convicted of a felony was no longer eligible to enjoy the 2nd amendment. Later feds added misdemeanor convictions for domestic violence. In most states you can buy muzzle loaders and reproduction handguns by mail so there is no check. The way the GCA 68 was worded exempted them. Probably not by intent. Now states have their own laws and states all or at least many, do not define "firearm" the same way. So these guns are considered guns in many if not all states. So you would need to find out from someone who really knows the laws in ID what they say about you and your situation.
Thank you for your advice
Welcome Aboard:s0101:

Thanks for the advice on the net thing. I guess I will have to contact a lawyer on this issue. I read some Idaho stuff, but had a problem understanding it. The law just can't explain things in plain English thank you all

And cheap irresponsible lawyer advice is still worthless against an uninformed narrow minded officer with the intent to do you injustice. I would have whoever gives advice be willing to defend you in court free of charge based on their interpetition of the LAW. LOST OF LUCK ON THIS ONE!!!!!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top