JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I figure if i end up finding a monster whitetail in the selkirks ill get me a muzzleloader. For the time being archery is my best bet for deer, and i do modern for anything else.

Black powder or Pyrodex etc is spotty on supply sometimes right now. For you folks in SW Washington, I found out that Sportsman's Paradise at the Three Rivers Mall still has a good supply of 2 and 3 F. And unlike the Cabelas stores right now, they are open for business, but the rest of the mall is mostly empty. Maybe that's why they still have powder. I picked up a pound of triple F there yesterday for my 51 Colt (Pietta) Navy.

Knight is blowing out Bighorns for $270 right now. That's a great deal on a decent inline. Leaves a few bucks leftover for possibles to get going.

Shoot. I might have to get that! Can any way confirm they are decent? I found a nice reciever mounted peep sight for $80.

How much extra stuff do I Need to get started? Powder, Wadding, and some more bullets? Some lube (heh heh)

Well, I've got one. Although I just upgraded to an Ultra-Lite. Knight guarantees MOA to 200 yards. All American made, Green Mountain barrel, Timney trigger, completely reliable. The only real downside is the open ignition, although this can be mitigated somewhat by moving to a 209 primer in Knight's plastic holder. Knight pretty much invented the modern inline muzzleloader and the Bighorn is tried and true. To get going I'd probably go with musket caps, get the Dynamit Nobel/RWC ones if you can (watch out here, there's a CCI version made only for demonstration and these will not work, CCI does make a proper cap, just beware), and around 100 gr volumetric of ffG Triple 7. Start with 300 gr. Hornaday SST bullets (they come with sabots). These are reasonably priced so you can get some practice before you go and if you have to hunt with them, they will work, although there are better options (e.g. Knight Bloodlines, but you will pay for them).

In addition to caps, powder, bullets, you will need a volumetric powder measure, a capper (not really needed, but they do make things much easier), a sling (I recommend a Claw for the Bighorn because of the short forestock), breech plug grease, and some patches for spit patching the bore after each shot (T7 is a bit dirty and this helps). Less than $100 for all of it. The peep you should use is a Williams FP-LEGEND - those are right around $70 at Midway. I like to use a twilight aperture (a brass ring around the aperture) with this sight. The fiber optic front will work, although I prefer a bead. If you have extra cash, pick up an extra front sight from Knight in case you whang yours and make it unusable (they just screw on). Should also pick up some speed loaders to carry extra shots when you hunt. I like the Thompson ones, but there are others.

When you get hooked, you can spend bunches more.

Well, I've got one. Although I just upgraded to an Ultra-Lite. Knight guarantees MOA to 200 yards. All American made, Green Mountain barrel, Timney trigger, completely reliable. The only real downside is the open ignition, although this can be mitigated somewhat by moving to a 209 primer in Knight's plastic holder. Knight pretty much invented the modern inline muzzleloader and the Bighorn is tried and true. To get going I'd probably go with musket caps, get the Dynamit Nobel/RWC ones if you can (watch out here, there's a CCI version made only for demonstration and these will not work, CCI does make a proper cap, just beware), and around 100 gr volumetric of ffG Triple 7. Start with 300 gr. Hornaday SST bullets (they come with sabots). These are reasonably priced so you can get some practice before you go and if you have to hunt with them, they will work, although there are better options (e.g. Knight Bloodlines, but you will pay for them).

In addition to caps, powder, bullets, you will need a volumetric powder measure, a capper (not really needed, but they do make things much easier), a sling (I recommend a Claw for the Bighorn because of the short forestock), breech plug grease, and some patches for spit patching the bore after each shot (T7 is a bit dirty and this helps). Less than $100 for all of it. The peep you should use is a Williams FP-LEGEND - those are right around $70 at Midway. I like to use a twilight aperture (a brass ring around the aperture) with this sight. The fiber optic front will work, although I prefer a bead. If you have extra cash, pick up an extra front sight from Knight in case you whang yours and make it unusable (they just screw on). Should also pick up some speed loaders to carry extra shots when you hunt. I like the Thompson ones, but there are others.

When you get hooked, you can spend bunches more.

Yep looking at it yesterday I think the 209 and holder makes sense for WA hunting.

The peep sight will be great, just need to get my contacts figured out by then.

Thanks for all your help!

Just 'cause I can...Actually , just posting for something to consider...:D

Traditional muzzle loading has a lot going for it....know your firearm and it will work well for you.
All I need to shoot round ball from a flintlock , is shown below.
Simple , easy and effective.
Andy
DSC06034.jpg

Just 'cause I can...Actually , just posting for something to consider...:D

Traditional muzzle loading has a lot going for it....know your firearm and it will work well for you.
All I need to shoot round ball from a flintlock , is shown below.
Simple , easy and effective.
Andy
View attachment 698376

Building a flintlock is on my list Andy. My father in law did one. But right now I don't have the time to dedicate to truly knowing the details of a flintlock, so make a good clean shot.

Anything I get I will put time in to make a good shot, but right now the easier the better (new baby)

And here was I, in my iggerunce, thinking that traditional muzzleloaders and them new-fangled in-line things had a different season.
Well...
In Washington....you can use either in Muzzle loading season....
You can also hunt with a muzzle loader either traditional or in-line , during "modern rifle season" if you so choose...
I've had to do this when my hunting partner , did not own a muzzle loading rifle...And for whatever reason did not want to borrow one of my real guns....:D
Andy

Yep looking at it yesterday I think the 209 and holder makes sense for WA hunting.

The peep sight will be great, just need to get my contacts figured out by then.

Thanks for all your help!

No sweat. If you do use 209s, use CCI 209M or Federal 209A. Especially if you decide to use pellets or Blackhorn 209. Those need the extra oomph to be reliable.

There's a fair bit of rivalry between the traditional and modern muzzle loading crowds. Some of the traditional guys are just rabid about the seasons being developed for primitive methods and that they should stay that way and us inline cretins should be run out of the woods stripped of our camo on a hand split rail. Frankly, there's plenty of room in the woods for all of us. Andy likes his flintlocks, heck I like 'em too. They just don't have a lot of appeal to me when my job is hunting and not managing all of the things that go into running one at the same time. But, if that's what you like, go for it. None of it is brain surgery on a moon rocket, so enjoy the smoke.

Here in UK the only muzzleloaders we can use to take game are shotguns, that is to say, ANY smoothbore muzzleloader, since they are classed as a Section 2 [Smoothbore] firearm the same as any shotgun. Y'see, the only reason you can have a RIFLED muzzleloader is for target shooting, and that means that you are prohibited in law for using it to shoot game. OTOH, you MIGHT have what is called an open FAC, which MIGHT allow you to use a rifled muzzleloader on game, but it has to fulfill TWO criteria - a minimum m/v of 2500 fps, and a minimum m/v of around 1500 - 1750 ft lbs. depending on whether you are in Scotland or the rest of the yUK.

I've never heard or read of ANY rifled muzzleloader being used for live game in the entire yUK.

Here in UK the only muzzleloaders we can use to take game are shotguns, that is to say, ANY smoothbore muzzleloader, since they are classed as a Section 2 [Smoothbore] firearm the same as any shotgun. Y'see, the only reason you can have a RIFLED muzzleloader is for target shooting, and that means that you are prohibited in law for using it to shoot game. OTOH, you MIGHT have what is called an open FAC, which MIGHT allow you to use a rifled muzzleloader on game, but it has to fulfill TWO criteria - a minimum m/v of 2500 fps, and a minimum m/v of around 1500 - 1750 ft lbs. depending on whether you are in Scotland or the rest of the yUK.

I've never heard or read of ANY rifled muzzleloader being used for live game i the entire yUK.

Liked for having the information....not really liking the information...if that makes sense.

So...I could use my flintlock fowler on birds ...since its a smoothbore...
Would it also have to meet the FPS and ft.lbs minimums if I used a single patched round ball on deer or the like...?
Andy

Liked for having the information....not really liking the information...if that makes sense.

So...I could use my flintlock fowler on birds ...since its a smoothbore...
Would it also have to meet the FPS and ft.lbs minimums if I used a single patched round ball on deer or the like...?
Andy

Yup.

I've posted the posit on a yUK forum within the last few minutes. I know that there are a few FEOs there who might have the skinny - it's their job to do so.

As far as In-Lines vs. Traditional muzzle loaders and hunting...
Use what you like.

What I dislike from some folks is :
The notion that their new In-Line Rifle , or other modern rifle is inherently superior to my antique or traditional style muzzle loading rifle.

I also dislike the "common knowledge" ( fallacy) that traditional muzzle loaders require some sort of semi-mysticism to work well or be able to be used as a hunting or shooting arm .
Sure they require some knowledge and skill to use....So does any firearm.

With that said....
There are more than a few traditional muzzle loading hunters who are just as bad with their smug attitudes regarding hunting , shooting and newcomers...

At the end of the day....
Know your rifle , know your game....
Respect the land , respect the game you hunt , respect your skill as hunter and shooter.
Andy

Ah, you wrote - 'the like'. Well, that means fox, feral goat [Wales and N. Ireland] and that's it. The Romans killed the bears, and the Tudors killed the wolves...might be a few boar, but I'm not sure if you are allowed to shoot them.

I've mentioned the 'good reason' needed here to hold a Firearms Fertificate [FAC], right? and how it is unlikely in the estreme that you would get a BP muzzleloader on your FAC for the purpose of deer-stalking, as deer hunting is called here in yUK.

Let's see what the FEO's come up with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads