JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, I understand that. I kicked myself in the pants for not saying anything. A few circumstances came into play- first time at this type of event, a few business owners and politicians standing in front of me, employment, yada yada, none are which are worth losing my life over. Live and learn

Exactly. None of those people/things matter even a little.

I think saying something to someone that is doing anything unsafe with a firearm is how we remind or educate the person doing the wrong. If they aren't told they will continue to do it. With that said I tried to accept the term "muzzle sweep" as it is more polite than saying "hey don't point your firearm at me" but I like to keep it simple and it sinks in faster when the offender realizes that they were pointing a firearm at you and you took exception to it.

Last summer at a local public indoor range I told a couple of guys that they were muzzle sweeping everyone on the firing line when they traded off turns to shoot or when the one shooting wanted to talk to the other one. The one guy looked at the other guy then said "go get that broom and sweep up our empties ....sorry dude". I explained that they were pointing the pistol away from the target area and the pistol even when they expect it's empty should always be pointed down range. Sometimes accidents happens with firearms but as long as it's pointed in the safe direction the accident doesn't hurt or kill anyone. They took it to heart and thanked me for letting them know.

Times like these you have to think about what that person would do again. Sometimes people just need reminders in common sense.
If 20 mins past and you hear a loud bang and you find out that guy did it again and "accidentally" killed a kid would you regret not saying anything?
I'd rather risk being an a-hole, than risk wishing I would have said something.

I've had that happen more than once, every time I let the offender know in no uncertain terms how unacceptable that is in any crowd, and every time I said it in a way to shame the offender in front of the folks in ear shot.

There is never an excuse for unsafe behavior.

Once the immediate danger has passed (and you're no longer in a defensive posture with anger/adrenaline squirting in your brain), a healthy dose of tactful, calmly presented humiliation might stick in his memory, especially with buddies standing there watching.

Tell him what he did. Point out that his actions were thoughless, juvenile and dangerous to others. Recommend a firearms safety course - a real basic one, for kids. Perhaps if you're still good and pissed, lean in close. Give him the Jack Bauer whisper... "And don't you ever pull that stupid sh*t on me again."

If you don't scream and yell with a red face, he has ZERO recourse to laugh off your "tantrum" with his pals later over beers. Instead...

"Actually, he's got a point there Jethro, you screwed up. Give me the pistol, turn in your man-card and go wait in the truck. In fact, I should probably drive."

Last Edited:
I was out with a friend who did not grow up with firearms like I did and he was in mid magazine on his shiny new AR when he suddenly stopped and turned to set or get something out of his bag. I can't recall because I was doing a backpedal as fast as I could to avoid having that thing being pointed at me.

At that point and time I did point out that he almost pointed a loaded, off safe rifle at my head.

He felt really bad about it the whole rest of the day and was quite embarrassed about the incident.

So much so that I hope the lesson sticks with him.

If you don't teach others, they will never learn.

So, same topic, but let's say the perpetrators are young women and you know them personally. Any suggestions to very tactfully let them know? (they're defensive)

Yea, it's nice to let stupid people accidentally kill another. good talk
That makes no sense.

I was asking about how i can put it across in a nice way that doesn't offend them as i know them personally and women have a harder time not taking the whole men are being dicks, thing and just picking on them.

lol. There's no "nice" involved.. you do what you have to do.. same as with a man. there's no difference.. if you mollycoddle either.. well, that's your game

A gun shouldn't be in anyone's hands that doesn't understand "range safety".. given that, if they (anybody) points a loaded handgun at you.. they are all treated the same to include confiscation/disarming that individual and then having verbal discourse before perhaps giving back said firearm.

That makes no sense.

I was asking about how i can put it across in a nice way that doesn't offend them as i know them personally and women have a harder time not taking the whole men are being dicks, thing and just picking on them.

If they were family or a friend shooting one of my guns before I'd hand it over I'd say something like

"Do you remember the 4 rules? if not here they are....

or "everyone remember the 4 safety rules?" before we even get the bags open.

"I like to be very disciplined about these rules so if I notice that you are pointing the gun in a unsafe way or have your finger on the trigger when you shouldn't Im going to point it out. I'd also ask that you tell me the same thing if you see me breaking one of the rules"

I think being up front and taking about the safety rules before you guys start shooting will make people less defensive than after you point out their mistake.

The times I have been swept/etc. at the range, I make certain I am safe (move) then approach the offender and politely but firmly offer advice to correct their behavior....then I watch them, to be certain they do not repeat any dangerous action...................If they do, I leave..............they are idiots.

I had to speak to a shooter and his friends a year ago who were acting dangerously.

I KNEW I had seen him somewhere before.

Then I remembered...he is the chief of police in a smaller town outside Medford:confused::eek::rolleyes:

Responding to the question about how do you point out to a woman she just swept you, I think you do it in the same way you would a man as the firearm that "accidently" shoots you or someone else doesn't care about the gender of the person who pulled the trigger. Again I think it's worth being polite but firm. Yelling or being rude will gets a person's attention but it often takes away from the message you are trying to express.

It's not everyone style to remain calm and explain what the person did wrong in a polite manor. I often think if I were to yell at someone messing up with a firearm they might get startled, clench up and pull the trigger.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top